I’m extremely excited about the N900 but have one major issue; There is 0 t-mobile reception at my house. Actually, none of the cell providers work here and I’m currently on sprint because they have the airave which solves that problem.

1) Will there be a way to reliably make voip calling work, using my t-mobile # for both inbound and outbound calling over wifi with the native dialer?

2) Can i use a SIP provider with the stock dialer? If so I could then spoof my # for outbound calls (to the t-mobile #), but that's going to add additional cost that i would rather not incur. Also if I have to pay monthly for a DID, and have my t-mobile # forward to that when I’m at home, if i remember correctly there is going to be an additional charge for each call because it is being forwarded?

3) I'm assuming reliable text messaging is going to be out of the question?

Thanks for any help, I really hope this is going to be achievable at a reasonable monthly expense!

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Google Voice will take care off all those problems nicely. Not to sure about native T-mobile support.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Google Voice will take care off all those problems nicely. Not to sure about native T-mobile support.
Definitely check out Google voice -- I use it at work, where I have relatively poor Cellular coverage, and have Google Voice include my office number (during weekdays, working hours).....

Thanks guys, i actually have a google voice account but what little i have used it has proven to be fairly unreliable (incoming calls not ringing through, being routed directly to voicemail etc. Same thing with outgoing calls taking multiple attempts to dial.) Also, im not entirely sure but using the google voice means i will essentially need to change my phone # to the google voice, correct? It won't spoof my t-mobile # for outgoing calls/txt messages? Is it possible to make and receive google voice calls only over wifi? On my Pre it's still all done over the cellular network by dialing into google voice and having it make the outbound call.

Last edited by bleomycin; 2009-09-06 at 01:13.

If it gets released on T-Mobile US, I would assume (hope) they will include the UMA feature. This is an out of box feature that automatically uses Wifi for your cell phone calls. I have had it on my T-Mo BlackBerry for about the last 2 years and it works fantastically. Best part is calls over Wifi don't count towards your plan minutes.

While I am at home, in my office, all my calls go through Wifi, then when I hit the road it automatically switches to cellular. It will even auto switch from Wifi to Cellular if I am actually on the call when walking out the door.

The sound quality is great and I have never had any issues. It will even pick up T-Mobile HotSpots and if the signal is better it will automatically use the Wifi over the cellular, e.g. at the airport or any other HotSpot.

Yeah i agree UMA would be ideal, but i highly doubt that it is going to include the additional hardware that's required for that to work (please correct me if i'm wrong, im pretty sure it requires additional hardware). I know outside of a select few smartphones (your blackberry) they generally never get that functionality installed. The G1 didn't even get it and that was a huge exclusive t-mobile launch.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ok, for google voice,

You are going to get a new T-mobile number ANYWAY.

Instead of giving people that number, give them your google voice number.

When you have cell coverage, Google Voice will ring your phone, and it will work like normal. People will see your google voice number when you text them or call them (using google voice of course). The dialer app for the N810 should take care of this.

When you have no cell coverage, it can route your calls via SIP and WiFi. The callers see no difference either way.

Google voice has been really helpful to me. I have zero cell coverage in my dorm, so i use it to route to my landline and n810. And the best part is that i can pick up the call on the landline, switch to my n810, leave the room, switch to my cellphone, and leave the campus, all in the same call. Sweet...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Ok, for google voice,
You are going to get a new T-mobile number ANYWAY.
Nope, i was just going to have my # ported, takes a few hours i've done it several times. I suppose if i want to use google voice there isn't going to be any choice to use my existing #.

Yes, you are correct that UMA requires a chip. The reason it did not come out with the G1 is because it was developed\released before UMA capabilies were in place with TMo (at least that is what I have been told). Plus, Android being a Google based development, I doubt that any of the Android phones will include UMA capabilities...they would rather it go through Google Voice.

Most new phones with TMO that have Wifi also have UMA. I believe that TMo intends to use UMA as one of their competitive differentiators.

Maybe Nokia decided not to include UMA because it is going more the route of VOIP, but it sure would be awesome if they did. Since they have obviously been working with TMo failry closely on this, I will keep my fingers crossed that it will be included with the N900.

It would be a shame if they did not include it, because it has really been an awesome and highly reliable feature. I can tell you far more reliable and higher sound quality than ANY voip app has ever been, that I have ever used, including Skype and Google Voice.

Last edited by mhammo; 2009-09-06 at 05:22.