For the stats, I updated and everything works fine here (black,16 gb Eur). No more issues for apps connecting to the 3g, and maps lock fine.

I Didn't have nokia link, so I installed it with apt-get install aceso-iso.

Now, since i don't need nokia link, i understand i can uninstall it while the benefits of the update will stay with my phone, right?
Thanks

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ CO. USA
it sounds that most where unscathed and even benefited from the up date Im glad to hear it . I on the other hand have had super batt drain, my contacts, and messages deleted my FEED screen is showing Icons but not pictures in side messages. GPS and DRIVE are continuing to search without finding signal, they did work beautifuly before. My Camera does not work for the first time, only when it feels like it. TheTED talks app gives me a 504 and does not let me download.

This is highy frustrating to me as anyone can believe. Is the culprit this update? Or is it a hack? Could some one illuminate my once bright out look on my N9. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Caribbean
Hi, I just got my hands on an N9 and everything was working fine until I updated Nokia Link. After the update my signal drops in and out, and for long periods of time it'll just drop completely from my mobile network (no signal with the red slash through it) and I can't make/receive calls or SMS. Though my wifi is flawless and I don't have any other problems with it.

I've scoured this thread and some others and figured the update is the cause. Some have mentioned uninstalling the confgg that came with the update, though no one has mentioned exactly how to undo the install.

Greatly would appreciate any help/advice on this matter as right now my phone is now a fancy gaming/music player

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
It will be never be fixed, as you really cannot measure exact digital values from analog battery. So its just a common feature of li-on batteries that voltages drops rapidly on when battery level gets low. So there really is not anything that can be fixed.

Well they can fake the sw not to read the battery levels and only show decreasing values that has nothing to do with battery level. But imho its better to show what battery reports as voltage level than to lie to end user in the UI.
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've read this week.
"Normal" phones measure and/or estimate both current and voltage. They estimate the battery charge left by comparing that (i.e. power usage) against the known battery capacity.

In cases where current isn't available, the voltage is compared against a calibrated voltage/charge curve (which is where the oft mentioned tip that you should do a complete charge/discharge cycle on first use comes from).

So yes, it's perfectly possible to fix the bug - estimating charge left from voltage alone is something you'd do in a saturday evening Arduino project, not a smartphone.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've read this week.
"Normal" phones measure and/or estimate both current and voltage. They estimate the battery charge left by comparing that (i.e. power usage) against the known battery capacity.

In cases where current isn't available, the voltage is compared against a calibrated voltage/charge curve (which is where the oft mentioned tip that you should do a complete charge/discharge cycle on first use comes from).

So yes, it's perfectly possible to fix the bug - estimating charge left from voltage alone is something you'd do in a saturday evening Arduino project, not a smartphone.
Well if its perfectly possible to fix the bug (by lying the values to end user), then feel free to code an application that reports the 'right' values. All the battery raw data is available from hardware. Nokia has stopped doing any development on N9 since May 2012.

But jokes aside here is some good night time reading:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1778492

Typical li-on battery discharge curve to demonstrate that its a bit hard to do 'lying' approximation values when discharge curve is dropping fast when battery is getting low (so Nokia's implementation just doesn't happen to do any compensations against the curves, but just report the raw values, which is seen as fast battery % changes on low battery situations):

PS. welcome back to forum, seems that it has been 7 years since you last posted .
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-10-10 at 20:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 335 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Trento, Italy
But jokes aside here is some good night time reading:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1778492
Very interesting, and makes sense. A small battery drop is ok, but sometimes I experienced drops for example from 46% to 4% and in normal conditions, not at -10 degrees

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
I know this has been beat to death, but since installing this update (aceso-iso and confpp), I've been missing calls and texts, and getting awful signal. I uninstalled it, rebooted, and signal has vastly improved.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Nokia has stopped doing any development on N9 since May 2012.

In absolute terms, but really, heavy dev stopped by about Mar, absolute joke on Nokia's part (not blaming devs of course)

Originally Posted by fongo View Post
I know this has been beat to death, but since installing this update (aceso-iso and confpp), I've been missing calls and texts, and getting awful signal. I uninstalled it, rebooted, and signal has vastly improved.
Odd, you'd be the exception & not the norm...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-11 at 04:06.

Tags
3g bug, herpderp, nokia link