Notices

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Philadelphia
Ok, this is killing me! I love this little tablet and have gotten everything working (and bug free) EXCEPT for the email client.

You'd figure on something called the Internet Tablet that the email client would be pretty smooth. I had an iPod touch which was a toy compared to the IT, but the email client was smooth as butter.

I am trying to connect to gmail via IMAP. I can set everything up just fine, but on the first sync, the IT downloads all 9,000+ headers - all the way back to 2004!! I only want it to download unread headers, like the iPod touch IMAP client does.

So anyway - I can live with 9,000 messages -- except after that first load, it crashes continuously -- every time I try to access my client the Nokia freezes -- which may have something to do with the 9,000+ headers.

SO - any advice??

What I'd like to do is just download unread headers and have a streamlined client that doesn't crash.

Help me good people!!

Well a couple of suggestions. In your account settings Menu->Tools->Accounts,
Edit you gmail account. On the account tab change retrieve to headers only, and retrieval limit to last 50.

You will probably have to nuke the account and redefine it, because you already have more than it can handle. You might also try going into gmail on the web and archiving your inbox. This will move many of your old emails from the inbox to the "All Mail" folder.

Bruce

The Following User Says Thank You to CVBruce For This Useful Post:
Bruce,

I did as you said - I archived my inbox. I nuked my email acct through the connection manager but it won't delete. When I go to the e-mail client, it keeps trying to open my email acct. How can I really nuke it - as in, remove any trace of this thing from the n810 and reload it?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
terminal, .modest dir...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
i got it all working -- thanks, my fellow tableteers!

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
advice...delete some email once in a while? lol

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
just watch out, even when deleting mail, the content will stay on drive if it was read first...

Similar problem (from a non-teckie, so be gentle!). However many times I set up my yahoo email account it wants to retrieve over 6,500 of history. I keep setting retrieval limit to 20 (or 50 for a change from time to time) but it always goes back to the beginning & starts dumping everything onto my machine. Any advise............?

Tags
email client, gmail, n810