Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

tried with newest fennec nightly:
17750 @ stock
something like superpi for the device would be pretty nice, it would allow us to exclude the error the browser induces.

The Following User Says Thank You to korhojoa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
First "visual artifacts" here: returning original settings with transition control, after "restarting desktop", menu bar starting to display white lines...and beauty colorfull effects when closing transition.
After restarting, all ok again.

(950-500)

The Following User Says Thank You to rpgAmazon For This Useful Post:
Well, living in Israel I think it would be risky for me to OC it above 800mhz haha. Especially since it's going to be summer pretty soon.

I just had a realization: At 1GHZ the N900 is more powerful than the HD2. Since it has a GPU unlike the Qualcomm devices (HD2, Nexus One etc etc). It's pasically as powerful as an iPad at 1Ghz.
________
Vaporgenie Vaporizer

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:45.

Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
Well, living in Israel I think it would be risky for me to OC it above 800mhz haha. Especially since it's going to be summer pretty soon.

I just had a realization: At 1GHZ the N900 is more powerful than the HD2. Since it has a GPU unlike the Qualcomm devices (HD2, Nexus One etc etc). It's pasically as powerful as an iPad at 1Ghz.
Not completely true, the SnapDragon has a 600Mhz DSP on chip. (correct me if im wrong) So its 1ghz + 600dsp vs n900 1ghz + 500dsp. But it are 2 different processors, not comparable! i think the n900 will beat the snapdrag at 1ghz! And for the ipad.. dont know! time will tell ;-)

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
How do you check clock speed?

i guess it would be faster than the stock HD2 even under 1ghz.... but even the HD2 can be overclocked, so.... lol

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
First "visual artifacts" here: returning original settings with transition control, after "restarting desktop", menu bar starting to display white lines...and beauty colorfull effects when closing transition.
After restarting, all ok again.

(950-500)
I have had artifacts sometimes on stock kernel so it might have nothing to do with the overclocking.

That said, I am running 900Mhz stock DSP, until someone has stress tested overclocking the CPU and DSP. Overclocking both just seems like asking for trouble and surely stuff that utilises the DSP by its nature is using less CPU power, so you shouldn't really need to overclock both.

The iPad is dual-core and I believe has a VASTLY superior GPU to the N900, not remotely comparable. But then I can't put the iPad in my pocket, multi-task on it or use it as a phone.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-04-04 at 23:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
I don't really get what the DSP speed actually does.. Could someone kindly explain it to me please?
________
JUSTIN BIEBER FAN

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:45.

Originally Posted by dof250 View Post
So its 1ghz + 600dsp vs n900 1ghz + 500dsp. But it are 2 different processors, not comparable!

it dsnt have a dedicated graphics proc. draw!!

As far as I understand it, the dsp is used by the GSM radio, and can be programmed by the host for arbitrary code execution (some people mentioned video codecs but I'd be surprised if that was true).

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom