Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
As many of you already know, the current firmware for the Nokia N900 (known as PR 1.1) has some controversies regarding the Qt
toolkit.

EDIT:
Now that PR 1.2 is out, this is quite obsolete, since all of the stuff works on it without hacks.

However, I'll leave the guide here for those people who are stuck with 1.1:

To those of us who don't know, I'll summarize the situation.

- The libqt4-* packages are Qt 4.5.3
- The libqt4-maemo5-* packages are Qt 4.6.2
- The apps in extras-devel require libqt4-* to be 4.6.2, which is not the case at the moment
- The newly released shiny Nokia Qt SDK also requires libqt4-* to be 4.6.2, which it is not
- Developers of apps who want to use 4.6.2 which work on current devices need to link to libqt4-maemo5-* but there is poor (if any) support to it

Okay, so the above stuff prevents any wannable Qt developer from developing seriously for the N900.
But today (at 3:00 AM) after some trouble, I found out a possible work-arund until the precius PR 1.2 is released.

So, basically, all we need to get stuff working is libqt4-* version 4.6.2, and what a surprise, it is possible to install it via the SDK repository.

If anyone finds this is unaccurate, I'll happily correct it.
Please, read the guide before starting to proceed with the steps.

Big thanks to Andy1210 who helped me discovering it and also bricked his device during the process!

IMPORTANT:
DO NOT upgrade any other packages from the SDK repository, as it will very much brick your device. (This is from experience.)

MORE IMPORTANT:
I don't recommend non-developers to do this.
And I don't take ANY responsibity for anything.

1. App manager, menu, "Application catalogues"
2. Hit "New"
3. Enter the following:
Catalogue name: maemo.org SDK
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/
Distribution: fremantle/sdk
Compnents: free non-free
4. Exit app manager and start a root terminal.
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install libqt4-core
5. Basically, that's it. If something goes wrong, try to make apt to fix it.
Code:
apt-get -f install
You may have to remove the "mp-fremantle-generic-pr" package (or your version of it) before the above to make it work, which is responsible for notifying you of new updates. You won't need it anyway. (The buzz around PR 1.2 in TMO will be enough, you'll notice when it arrives anyway.)
Code:
apt-get remove mp-fremantle-generic-pr
The immediate result:
All the updates that require the new Qt version will succeed. (Ukeyboard won't since it requires more packages from PR 1.2.)

And finally, developers rejoice!
The brand new Nokia Qt SDK will work with the N900.

This is a quite sufficent solution for development, and if you'd like to make your app available to the rest of the word, you can still compile the app from the command line by linking to the libqt4-maemo5-* packages.
(Although the Qt Creator IDE won't do this for you.)

I hope this will help everyone who is as annoyed by this as I was.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-05-25 at 14:01.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
wow, no wonder we have f**k all for the N900 commercially

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
IMPORTANT:
DO NOT upgrade any other packages from the SDK repository, as it will very much brick your device. (This is from experience.)
hehe, this is my experience

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy1210 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
wow, no wonder we have f**k all for the N900 commercially
Yeah, at least until PR 1.2, which I doubt that it will be out in the foreseeable future.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
Yes, but this version of Qt is also buggy. And it won't help us promote applications to extras-testing. When I've bought N900, I've selected Maemo as the main target for my applications, but now I'm thinking about switching to Debian because of this strange policy.

Originally Posted by slobodsky View Post
Yes, but this version of Qt is also buggy. And it won't help us promote applications to extras-testing. When I've bought N900, I've selected Maemo as the main target for my applications, but now I'm thinking about switching to Debian because of this strange policy.
True, but it's better than nothing.
And it lets you run the apps on the device with convenience.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Thanks. Now I am able to update several applications that failed because of these issues. CPUfrequi, Healthcheck were the first two I tried. Both now install without a problem.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brasil
and now, to try or not try? lol

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Go for it - worked fine for me. It automatically uninstalled mp-fremantle-generic-pr (well mp-fremantle-203-pr in my case) and I can now install the cpuFreqUI update (never had a problem with HealthCheck though?)

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
the version of healthcheck in devel and extras is not dependent on 4.6 - i'm holding back uploading any new versions at the moment - would assume it was something else pythony related? :P
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Tags
libqt4, qt-sdk, remedy