Active Topics

Hello,

I am thinking that the best way to access the n900 from the computer will be the local network/router. Will I get an average of 54 mbps or is that some theoretical maximum speed?

Also, how fast will memorycard-reading or usb-cable be?

Simply, what is your prefered way of transfer ?

Originally Posted by arono View Post
Hello,

I am thinking that the best way to access the n900 from the computer will be the local network/router. Will I get an average of 54 mbps or is that some theoretical maximum speed?

It will show up as a USB attached storage if you connect it via a USB cable - probably the fastest way to move files
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Ok

Does anyone know about the wlan transfer speeds? Is it a good idea to set up a local filezilla ftp server or something?

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
What about transferring via network? I'd rather do that, for smaller files

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Like with an SFTP client...Cyberduck? Or for less sophisticated users an app like DropBox.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Is samba ported to Maemo? That could be useful for people on Windows as long as there is an easy way to configure username/password for the shares (I certainly wouldn't leave it wide open).

That is in fact what I am thinking of doing when I get mine. Make a large /home partition instead of having the fat32 one then use scp or some other method to upload files directly. I see no reason to use USB except to sync contacts, calendar, etc, and even then WiFi or Bluetooth (perhaps even over GSM/3G) would be more seamless as it could keep everything in sync without having to remember to plug into the PC. (as the mains charger will charge faster)

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Yea dropBox would be perfect, does that run on maemo 5?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
OpenSSH server and an SFTP client on your computer. Works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
As a *nix user, I'll probably just export some part of the device's filesystem over nfs, mount nfs shares from other devices in my network, scp stuff over to/from the device or, in a really nerdy/geeky style send tar [1] streams over netcat [2], either way

[1] http://man.freebsd.org/tar
[2] http://man.freebsd.org/nc

Originally Posted by arono View Post
Hello,

The 54Mbps is a speed based on the signalling rate of the radio. The actual maximum data transfer speed with a tcp-based protocol is roughly half that (most practical real-world scenarios reach a limit of around 23Mbps in practice).

As has been mentioned already...tranferring via USB is going to be your fastest method available for bulk file transfers.

Last edited by texaslabrat; 2009-10-22 at 01:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post: