Notices

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Earth
Hello everyone,

would it be possible to create an alternative, open source Wi-Fi hotspot app that would not "collect statistical information about" (read - track) users in order to "provide and improve the service"?

I am kind of angry about this...
or is it known what the original one actually collects?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ja-pc For This Useful Post:
Sorry, but nobody cares? Is that really OK to be tracked no matter the purpose without having an option to turn it off or a single idea of what is sent?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by ja-pc View Post
Sorry, but nobody cares? Is that really OK to be tracked no matter the purpose without having an option to turn it off or a single idea of what is sent?
I don't use the hot spot app that often and when I do it's for other people so I'm not stressed.
Send itsnotabigtruck a pm, this is something he may be able to help you with.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
How can the default Wi-Fi hotspot app track your activity in any way that your wireless carrier is not already doing?

You're looking for conspiracies against your privacy in the wrong places, lad.

Would love a wifi hotspot app that supports infrastructure mode, but I guess this is never going to happen

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nbedford For This Useful Post:
Arie -> thanks for responding, I'll see.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
How can the default Wi-Fi hotspot app track your activity in any way that your wireless carrier is not already doing?

You're looking for conspiracies against your privacy in the wrong places, lad.
You don't get the point. It's clear my ISP has access to all of my data, that is something I won't change, but what the heck has Nokia to do with it?

Last edited by ja-pc; 2012-04-30 at 20:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to ja-pc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I don't use the hot spot app that often and when I do it's for other people so I'm not stressed.
Send itsnotabigtruck a pm, this is something he may be able to help you with.
I don't have any idea myself, but I'm curious as to the nature of the actual data collected as well. It would be rather desirable to build a replacement for the preloaded JoikuSpot - besides the possible spying, the lack of 5 GHz support, limited choice of channels, and lack of infrastructure mode are also huge issues.

The problem however, last I checked, was that infrastructure mode isn't possible without a new wireless driver, which itself can't be replaced without modifying the kernel, which requires going into open mode. However, I'm not 100% sure that kernel modifications are actually necessary.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Slovakia
sorry for asking in such old topic. did anyone managed how to get Infrastructure hotspot working? I have HP TouchPad and plan to buy BlackBerry PlayBook, none of them sees AdHoc. I really need this option to can connect.

I believe we have enough skilled members here to do it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusnak-COBRA For This Useful Post:
I'd like to see a hotspot app with this feature as well, for connecting nexus 7 through n9 to internet. I'm willing to pay for it if such an app becomes available, or both flash n9s kernel and buy an app.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Could be nice if my ps3 was able connect too.