Active Topics

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Article:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/28/jol...rging-markets/
Antti Saarnio is not a russian minister, yet, the only bits they cannot (third party commercial, so not silica, maybe MS stuff) open will remain closed
The irony here is few years back silica was promised to become opensource. They keep promising and talking about open source from before release and they did not opensource almost anything. I think they call it "opensource collaboration meetings" according to their last announcement when they talk about stuff but never do

They even make first releases of SDK not public(what would be the reason except hype and elitism, as people love to be in private groups, to feel better than others and companies use it for marketing).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
We just don't know a lot of stuff yet, we have to wait & see what the full plans & approach is;
I highly doubt the localised version for the CIS market will be as open (or more) as the trunk variant of Sailfish.
But, the Russians may surprise us in that respect...
I agree with Kangal.

It can't and won't be, and Yota themselves are a dodgy entity given their ownership / stakeholders.

What will be interesting to see is if the Kremlin starts to push MIPS beyond their independence-from-x86 server/enterprise/govt (and from ARM for embedded-systems) national strategy and into mobile. Somewhat ironic that they're pushing away from x86 / ARM (and iOS/Android/WM/BB) because they're US/UK controlled and into MIPS ...

MIPS is owned and controlled by another UK company (IMG Tech), which has Apple as a significant minority shareholder. I'm sure IMG are happy though. They've been moaning about the difficulty of getting into mobile because of ARM's monopoly - truth is though, their MIPS mobile offerings aren't very competitive yet. If it gives them a foothold in Russia / CIS and helps them build on the small market that already exists in China, maybe the resulting cashflow will allow them to develop products that are competitive.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-05-30 at 17:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
To those who believe there won't be official backdoors, the head of Rostec (the Russian state organ that owns 25% of Yota Devices - and more of the main Yota group) has openly admitted that there's an official backdoor in YotaPhones for the FSB to spy on users.

Strangely he claims that it's a legal requirement, yet I'm pretty sure that Apple and many Android phones don't have such an official backdoor (available to the FSB, that is).

Chances of this backdoor being removed for export markets is of course zero.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Surpr...on-you_id69930

He also goes on a bizarre rant about iPhones being the "terrorists' choice" ... I think that's actually ancient Nokia dumbphones, Sergei, but nice try.

Sailfish adoption is just a ploy to improve mass surveillance, and that Jolla's a willing enabler.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-06-02 at 00:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
To those who believe there won't be official backdoors, the head of Rostec (the Russian state organ that owns 25% of Yota Devices - and more of the main Yota group) has openly admitted that there's an official backdoor in YotaPhones for the FSB to spy on users.

Strangely he claims that it's a legal requirement, yet I'm pretty sure that Apple and many Android phones don't have such an official backdoor (available to the FSB, that is).

Chances of this backdoor being removed for export markets is of course zero.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Surpr...on-you_id69930

He also goes on a bizarre rant about iPhones being the "terrorists' choice" ... I think that's actually ancient Nokia dumbphones, Sergei, but nice try.

I believe that Sailfish adoption is just a ploy to improve mass surveillance, and that Jolla's a willing enabler.
Now Russian government is trying to ban TOR, VPNs and other anonymity tools
https://torrentfreak.com/court-order...locked-150530/

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-06-02 at 13:04. Reason: Quote in this post is amended because the OP is, user's post isn't touched, just the quote.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
ive only ever used MIPS to write in assembler. is it a viable replacement for either arm or x86

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by bluefoot
Chances of this backdoor being removed for export markets is of course zero.<SNIP>
Sailfish adoption is just a ploy to improve mass surveillance, and that Jolla's a willing enabler.
It won't look good for Jolla if that's the only OEM that's selling Sailfish devices around the world, especially if it goes on for too long.
Lets hope there's some other (non-Russian) ODM's coming on board, no doubt we'd all be happier with a "mix" instead of a "monoculture.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-06-02 at 13:19. Reason: clarification

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'm pretty sure that Apple and many Android phones don't have such an official backdoor (available to the FSB, that is).
Russian phones report to the Russian mothership, American ones to the American mothership. Where is the surprise?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
atleast their pretty open about it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
So there's probably not gonna be a Jolla Phone 2 but some "other manufacturer" will do the job: http://reviewjolla.blogspot.nl/2015/...ufacturer.html

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
So there's probably not gonna be a Jolla Phone 2 but some "other manufacturer" will do the job: http://reviewjolla.blogspot.nl/2015/...ufacturer.html
Well, it reads like an articule full of personal opinion if you ask me. Jolla hasn't said anything about a new phone yet though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post: