Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hi,

We have been given some budget for Maemo Summit 2009 merchandise. But, rather than have all sorts of funny toys to receive at the event, it might be cooler to save most of the money for participant sponsorship and cool Summit events.

Last year, we had shirts and stickers (three sizes). Previously, we began to discuss USB Sticks (among other things). And, I know that GeneralAntilles really wants a baseball cap. (Which, I personally think is a really good idea -- see below.)

I propose that we stick to the bare necessities (again) this year and limit our choices to shirts, stickers, and -- if it's cost effective -- baseball caps. If you have major objectives (or, really, really, wanted that Maemo-branded USB Stick or tote bag), you can voice them here, but think about what you'd rather have: sponsorship or something that says "Maemo" on it.

But, wait... First things first...

***We need to decide what goes on the stuff.***

There may be enough money to do a two-sided shirt, so keep that in mind. The three differently sized stickers were pretty cool last year (you can see one of them on my MacBook here -- and I think it was lcuk who was with me when we got the little stickers and put them on our N810s, although I could be wrong).

Anyway...

We have a few "cool" designs already (if you know of more, please let me know).

One is mine:

...on was from baloo:

...and the other from wazd:

We could choose from these three (and then hone the one that was chosen to be exactly what we need), or you can submit your own idea. In fact, your idea could even just be a written description:

Originally Posted by example description
Black t-shirt with a small maemo.org logo on the front left breast and large "Maemo Summit 2009" text on the back.
Yes, we even need to specify colors (white is always cheaper) and we should think about amount of colors to print too (less is always cheaper).

So, let's (quickly, like in the next week) decide on the two or three items that we'll have at the Summit and come up with a single good design for what we want printed on the items.

Thanks!
Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-08-04 at 17:47.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
That's a very big sticker

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
If this can help to save money for other stuff, why don't we sell these gadget at a cheap price instead of giving them for free?

I know that a gift is always better, but.... I don't think it's a big cost if people are really interested in.

Don't forget about the fact the Summit has free entrance for ALL. We offer 3 days of conferences, food, party ecc... all for free

I think there's nothing bad if we, at least, sell t-shirts or USB keys.

Well, this would require a bit more infrastructure (and someone to manage money at the event), so I don't think it is feasible for an open situation like this. But, there has been some talk of opening some sort of maemo.org-specific store (on CafePress or something), where people can purchase things like this. Of course, we'd have to finalize designs used there, etc., but it would be a lot easier.

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-08-04 at 17:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I got bored and I have no artistic skill as you can see below but at least it's a try.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Last year, we had...stickers (two sizes).
Actually, there were three: small (tablet sized), medium (laptop sized), and large (bumper sticker sized).

Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
...why don't we sell these gadget at a cheap price instead of giving them for free?
There's still an up-front expense, so if Nokia isn't willing to "loan" the Maemo folks additional money, selling widgets is of no help. Beyond that, there's the issue of unsold merchandise, which equals unrecovered costs.

Additionally, it may be far more trouble than it's worth for the Maemo folks to set up some system of accepting money for small purchases at the summit. Nokia's accountants may not want to be troubled with the strange, small bit of money that would be coming back in. Nokia would need to send additional staff to cover the difference between free swag on a table and a sales counter. Heck, European consumer protection laws might even be a barrier if they'd force Nokia to ship a replacement Maemo LED flashlight to New Zealand after an attendee's €2 purchase stops working a week after the summit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Actually, there were three...
I'll fix this. Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
What I'd like to see:

* Black t-shirts, one sided with chest based logo.
* Black beanie hat with logo (very similar to this - http://shop.canonical.com/product_in...362170d36fd28b) - great for jogging in the cold winter months.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The Danish Weekend shirts were a big success with some original and well executed design plus just a bit of good quality in the clothes. Worth the investment and dedication.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The Danish Weekend shirts were a big success with some original and well executed design plus just a bit of good quality in the clothes. Worth the investment and dedication.
Quim, are there any bettrer photos of the shirt than this?

I'd love for people to see how the design actually fits on the shirt.

Tim

Tags
2009, crowdsourcing, design, maemo summit, merchandise, summit, t-shirt