Hi all,

Not that long ago I got a very good deal on a second hand Nokia N900, and I love it!

The other day I went to insert an SD card, and noticed that the SD card slot is broken (I think). All the pins are there, but the tray is missing.

I tried just resting the SD card on top of the pins. Didn't work. Then I tried putting a small bit of wire on top of the SD card so that the N900s back cover would push on the wire, which would push the SD card onto the pins. That also didn't work (df -h doesn't see it).

As all the pins seem to be there I feel I should be able to get the phone to 'see' the card. I'm wondering if the SD tray locks the slot when it's open, and if it might be stuck in the locked position?

If I have to live without an SD card I'll manage, but it would be good to have one. Any ideas?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Cairo
happened to me once. had to put a cardboard on top of the card so that the cover would push the card down. worked for me though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbnccst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fbnccst View Post
happened to me once. had to put a cardboard on top of the card so that the cover would push the card down. worked for me though
Thank you, that was good to know. I had tried a few times but decided that there must be some sort of SD lock that had broken. Knowing that someone else had done it successfully made me keep trying.

I kept trying, in the end with cardboard and tape. I knew it was in properly, but the phone still wouldn't see it.

I tried
Code:
dmesg | grep mmc0
and found that even though the back case was on fully...
Code:
mmc0: cover is open, card is now inaccessible
Turns out the kickstand magnet is missing! I tried holding a magnet in the right place, and now the SD card shows up!

Now I just have to find a tiny magnet to put in place (or a new back cover, but that might be harder to find). I see that in the past another forum member with the same problem used a cut to size magnet from an old pair of earphones. https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50463

The Following User Says Thank You to N900 For This Useful Post: