Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Are we still blocked by the waiting for jolla to announce the project or what?

Maybe they left for vacation?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
- With size simillar to N9 or Jolla phone: Diffucult. If I have a company with hundreds of engineerd like samsung or sony, then it's possible. For the current resource I have, I have to outsourse a lot of developmment. And no one is actually doing a decent hardware in this size. You mentoned sailfish os. Which means it has to be qualcomm soc.
So, what is the most compact size that you think is possible?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
So, what is the most compact size that you think is possible?
How much would you like to pay?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
How much would you like to pay?
I paid USD 540 for a used Jolla 1 way back in February 2014. So I guess, USD 600 or may be even more if at all there is a Jolla 2 with full hardware and software support!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
We where asking Chen about N950 revival
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Yeah Chen's already said he wants to try to make something Lauta-ish. And if that happens I imagine a lot of us (myself included) will throw quite a lot of money at a kickstarter for it!
Yes revive N950/Lauta is my plan this year.

The cost of making a decent keyboard phone is so high and I'm doing it step by step:

- Sliding part is the most difficult and expensive part of the hardware. A good moulding costs very very high. But I can re-use the Moto Mods sliding part and make minor modification to the toolings I can greatly reduce the cost.

- Hopefully with this tablet's collaboration with Jolla I will have a better understanding regarding time and cost for OS adaptation.

- The next most difficult bit is Qualcomm SoC solution, they are soooo expensive. I'm looking for a more cost-effective solution to that at the moment. I'm not targeting at MSM8997 or those flagship chipsets - they add unnecessary cost to the customer and it's a waste of CPU power. I'm looking more towards mid-tier like 625/626 which gives a better balance between power consumption and performance. But even though it's still very expensive to get a decent solution.

Once the Keyboard Mod starts shipping and the tablet starts manufacturing I will look more into the cost, it's still very challenge but I'm confident. My aim is to have a 64GB+4GB Qualcomm 625 solution QWERTY slider with a removable battery, we will see how it goes in a few weeks.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

The cost of making a decent keyboard phone is so high and I'm doing it step by step:

- Sliding part is the most difficult and expensive part of the hardware. A good moulding costs very very high. But I can re-use the Moto Mods sliding part and make minor modification to the toolings I can greatly reduce the cost.

- Hopefully with this tablet's collaboration with Jolla I will have a better understanding regarding time and cost for OS adaptation.

- The next most difficult bit is Qualcomm SoC solution, they are soooo expensive. I'm looking for a more cost-effective solution to that at the moment. I'm not targeting at MSM8997 or those flagship chipsets - they add unnecessary cost to the customer and it's a waste of CPU power. I'm looking more towards mid-tier like 625/626 which gives a better balance between power consumption and performance. But even though it's still very expensive to get a decent solution.

Once the Keyboard Mod starts shipping and the tablet starts manufacturing I will look more into the cost, it's still very challenge but I'm confident. My aim is to have a 64GB+4GB Qualcomm 625 solution QWERTY slider with a removable battery, we will see how it goes in a few weeks.
well the X is the 650 so might make your life easier.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
I think you can also consider MediaTek to the equation for cheap SoCs. There were at least a few Ubuntu Touch devices with MediaTek SoCs, including the last tablet, which is also libhybris-based.

I have proof of concept unofficial port to Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (Helio X10 or MTK6795), and I suppose there was some effort by Jolla too to get it working with MediaTek, according to IRC. The biggest problem with MediaTek is getting source code, as most Chinese manufacturers won't care to release even GPLed code which is supposed to be released (like Xiaomi for their China-only devices), which you won't have as device manufacturer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:

Chen I like your ideas.
I have a Moto Z Play and with the large display I find it easier to type.
With the larger displays I never see any phones with the slide out keyboard. So I am wondering how many people would purchase the slide out keyboard as a Moto Mod?

With my N9 I would use a Blue Tooth keyboard, and same with the Moto Z Play if I need or want a larger keyboard.

To the moderators: Sorry I just realized I was in the wrong discussion for commenting about a slide out keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Well if we're not ruling out MediaTek, then you can go as small as you like!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...4g-smartphone/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
You could go the Sharp Aquos Crystal route, about the same dimensions as the Jolla 1, but has a 5" screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os