Active Topics

There's an accessory called "Replug" that allows your headphones to disconnect if they're yanked on, kind of like Apple's mag-safe connector. I started thinking about this after accidentally yanking my N810 off of an elliptical while working out. Luckily, I caught it, but next time I might not be so lucky. Has anyone tried this? Is it a valuable tablet-saver or a waste of money?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
With our kids' lightweight iPods, I'm not so sure this would do much to protect the device.

But for an Internet Tablet it looks invaluable.

Thanks for cluing us in to this.

Roger

Above: Connected.
Below:
The tip separates on 1.5 pounds of lateral force. No magnets involved.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-02-12 at 15:21. Reason: Add tag

Looks like you can also get extra tips, 2 for $5. This is looking useful. Buy enough tips for one in each device, and keep the replug body on headphones to swap them back and forth.

If anyone has one of these, I wonder what force is required to connect? (I'm thinking of building a pocket/pouch dock with one of these and a 2mm charging connector, so disconnecting it wouldn't start audio through the speakers before I can pause it, but I'm concerned about the mating force required...) Also, concerned about the connection; is there noticeable connection noise when flexing the adapter, or is it solid until breakaway?

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I've been waiting for something like this my entire life!

I've had tremendous amounts of bad luck with 3.5mm shorts due to (I'm guessing) excessive force on the jack. This causes shorts which usually amounts to Capt'n only hearing mono through one speaker; a real shame when the jack is attached to an expensive piece of equipment.

Now that I have a little soldering experience, this is less of a concern, but, it is still a great way to increase the life of the jack!

Another cool thing:

I'm considering buying a few of these, stripping them down, and making my own 'magsafe' power adaptor for various devices. Mounted in the right way, this could be a quick solution for easy charging. Any comments on this idea?

As for 'protecting the device':

It all depends. I'm assuming that the magnet will be strong enough not to come loose when in ones pocket (for example). This means, that the right pulling force while connected may still bring the device to the ground. If the attractive force is too weak, and the plug will come undone too easily and get quite annoying.

Thanks for the link!

YARR!
}:^)~

The benevolent Capt'n

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
This is cool. I also think the Capt'n's idea of modding one for the power adapter is a good one. I have knocked my tablet (with the power cord in) off my nightstand a few times now. Luckily, only a few scratches to the tablet, but the AC power cord tip is bent like crazy. Something like this would have prevented that from happening.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Another cool thing:

I'm considering buying a few of these, stripping them down, and making my own 'magsafe' power adaptor for various devices. Mounted in the right way, this could be a quick solution for easy charging. Any comments on this idea?
I'd be concerned for some devices about the current levels. You're probably good for anything that charges off USB (i.e. less than 500 mA), but not laptops and such...

As for 'protecting the device':

It all depends. I'm assuming that the magnet will be strong enough not to come loose when in ones pocket (for example). This means, that the right pulling force while connected may still bring the device to the ground. If the attractive force is too weak, and the plug will come undone too easily and get quite annoying.
It's not a magnet, but yes, it has some risk of pulling devices around, but in many (most?) potentially harmful device yankings I've seen/done, the jerk is probably abrupt enough to pull this off. I'm not concerned about accidental disconnects, since they say it takes 2.5 pounds transverse force. (They don't say what end-force, but the jack probably disconnects first...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
@EIPI,

I hear ya, brother. The 'magsafe' adaptor is probably the one thing that I love about my girlfriends macbook. That and the lithium polymer battery... And the 'under the screen' vent... But that's IT!

On the replug:

The shipping costs are in-sane! I still love the device, but why oh why does it cost at minimum $11US to ship this thing to Canada?! Even national US shipping is ~$7US! Wowzah.

I may still buy one, though....

YARR!

Do tell, Capt'n

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'd be concerned for some devices about the current levels. You're probably good for anything that charges off USB (i.e. less than 500 mA), but not laptops and such...
I was thinking about that, but made a silly assumption that the conductive capacity (is that even a term?) of the wires would be enough to handle the current of a lappy. I'm still such a new'b when it comes to matters of electronics...

I do enjoy melting solder, though... It smells like... dizzy...

I was actually considering modding my Aspire one with this purpose in mind, rather than hacking together an inevitably horrendous magsafe adaptor using strong earth magnets. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It's not a magnet, but yes, it has some risk of pulling devices around, but in many (most?) potentially harmful device yankings I've seen/done, the jerk is probably abrupt enough to pull this off. I'm not concerned about accidental disconnects, since they say it takes 2.5 pounds transverse force. (They don't say what end-force, but the jack probably disconnects first...)
Great insight Benson. I was thinking of a slow pull of the table, parallel to the position of the jack, but you're correct: I would bet this case is so rare as to be a non-issue. The majority of the forces in an accidental tugging would likely be quick and have some degree of orthognality (again, is this even a term?) to the jacks position.

The replug is eerily similar to the idea that I had of using USB sound for the NIT in the 'What would you realistically like to see in the N900' thread. The idea was an 3.5 adaptor that could 'break away' from the USB port thus providing more USB ports on the device, and protecting the jacks in one elegant way. Love those memes..

YARR!

The meek Capt'n

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I was thinking about that, but made a silly assumption that the conductive capacity (is that even a term?) of the wires would be enough to handle the current of a lappy. I'm still such a new'b when it comes to matters of electronics...
Not the wires, I think they're fine; the contacts should overheat first. I'm just not sure how much current they can take; you could try it (as long as you pay attention during "burn-in"), worst case you catch it overheating and have to un-mod it. If you do things right, testing before you mod the case at all, it should be possible to revert painlessly.
Great insight Benson. I was thinking of a slow pull of the table, parallel to the position of the jack, but you're correct: I would bet this case is so rare as to be a non-issue. The majority of the forces in an accidental tugging would likely be quick and have some degree of orthognality (again, is this even a term?) to the jacks position.
Well, "orthogonality" is definitely a term; without the o, not so much.

Of course, there's that terrible possibility where the device is jerked across the table, but as it starts to move, the plug breaks free, and the tablet keeps sliding, you turn around just in time to see the tablet slowly sliding over the edge, flipping through the air, and plummeting face-down onto some sharp object, rather than having its fall broken by the cable.

I hope that's not prevalent, but now that I've envisioned it , I've a mind to install an airbag landing system on all my tablets.

@Capt'n
Slight correction: though this thing is similar in purpose to the mag-safe connectors, they say on the web-site that it doesn't actually use magnets. It's the rubber ring that holds things in place.

I've read some reviews, and I found one that did suggest no noticeable difference in sound quality when going through the replug. I suppose the only way that I'm going to find out if this could protect the n810 on the elliptical is to order one. I'm hopeful that it will, as it supposedly pulls off most easily with lateral force, which is what one would expect if the n810 is sitting on a ledge in video-viewing position when the headphones get yanked downwards by a flailing arm.

Tags
extras