Notices

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Thanks to voters and testers, cpumem-applet has now been promoted to Extras, and you can find the product page here, and other details in my sig.

As some of the interested parties know, cpumem-applet is a fork of load-applet, that aims to be the simplest and most light-weight solution for having cpu&memory load bars in status-area.

The current version, 0.0.3 of cpumem-applet, is a plain strip down of load-applet 0.4.6-1 and all kudos go to Jakub, the maintainer of load-applet.

Improvements are planned and more suggestions are welcome. Just keep in mind that cpumem-applet aims to be slim and is essentially about the status-area icon, when sending suggestions!

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Request: Connect to the "notify::status-area-visible" signal and use the result of that to determine whether to update the bars instead of the osso_hw_display_event CB. This will stop it from updating when you can't actually see it (like in a fullscreen X Terminal). "status-area-visible" gets set to FALSE when the display goes off. Thanks!

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-08 at 21:53. Reason: Singular

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Congratz on this!

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I love the cpumem applet.

It is much less bloated than the other alternatives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
So, what is the differences between this and the Load-applet? does the cpu/memory applet has the record & the screen shot? and which one is lighter on the devise in-terms of battery consumption.

Regards

SCreenshots can be taken with keyboard buttons

The Following User Says Thank You to rolan900d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Request: Connect to the "notify::status-area-visible" signal and use the result of that to determine whether to update the bars instead of the osso_hw_display_event CB. This will stop it from updating when you can't actually see it (like in a fullscreen X Terminal). "status-area-visible" gets set to FALSE when the display goes off. Thanks!
While this is technically true, its very debatable if it actually changes anything. The processing cpumem-applet does is very tiny anyways, and since the display is on, it consumes massive amounts of energy, X.org consumes lots of CPU etc anyways.

I'll put it to TODO list however and on my summer holiday I'll try my best to clear the TODOs in my projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
Unfortunately I've had to uninstall cpumem-applet, as it seems to be the cause of high cpu usage.

With it installed it caused my hildon-desktop process to always be taking up about 15% cpu.

Anyone else experience this?

Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
While this is technically true, its very debatable if it actually changes anything. The processing cpumem-applet does is very tiny anyways, and since the display is on, it consumes massive amounts of energy, X.org consumes lots of CPU etc anyways.
while, again, this is technically true, i firmly believe, every app(let) should try to be as efficient as possible.
no app(let) runs alone on the device, but usually a lot of them do simultaneously, hence, every unnecessary, though small resource usage will eventually add up to a huge one.

Originally Posted by menno View Post
Unfortunately I've had to uninstall cpumem-applet, as it seems to be the cause of high cpu usage.

With it installed it caused my hildon-desktop process to always be taking up about 15% cpu.

Anyone else experience this?
I think if its related to cpumem-applet, its rather bug to hildon-desktop than cpumem-applet....

Does rebooting help?

Tags
cpumem-applet, extras, load-applet, promotion