From Vincent Untz's blog entry:

Quim just gave his keynote, announcing that maemo will switch to Qt as the main toolkit in the future, with GTK+ being a part of the maemo platform that will become supported by the community.

The included slide details the GNOME/Hildon/GTK+ technologies still being used or considered for Nokia's Maemo platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
That's a huge leap from "Qt support" and more than a little brave since Qt won't even be officially supported in Fremantle.

Is not != won't be . There is Qt commynity port lead by Forum Nokia and that is not at the moment part of the official Fremantle release. It don't mea that you don't have full Qt for Fremantle.

Everyone that like to develop Qt applications for Fremantle can use the Qt our Qt port.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's a huge leap from "Qt support" and more than a little brave since Qt won't even be officially supported in Fremantle.
I thought it was pretty clear Qt would be supported on Fremantle, and default on Harmattan...?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Oh well. Time to remember how to write .pro files again.

The only problem I see with this is the two API breaks (5 & 6.0).

And I hope the resulting platform is a not a mess with any sane application needing to link with both gtk and qt.

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-07-05 at 00:06.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I thought it was pretty clear Qt would be supported on Fremantle, and default on Harmattan...?
The statement made at the Summit last year was that Qt would be community-supported in Fremantle and officially supported in Harmattan.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
There's no turning back now...

Slashdot is covering Nokia's Maemo Switching To Qt.

Originally Posted by kate View Post
There is Qt commynity port lead by Forum Nokia and that is not at the moment part of the official Fremantle release.
I must admit I'm a bit confused on the meaning of "support" / "community support" here. I find it hard to believe that Harmattan firmware will ship without GTK+ & Hildon. For one thing that would mean Nokia would have to rewrite every GUI app/component from scratch, including some decidedly non-trivial ones like modest and microb. For another, installation of practically any pre-existing third-party app would pull in the GTK+ stack as dependencies, so it might as well be preinstalled.

On the other hand, if GTK+/Hildon are part of the official firmware how would the community be able to support (publish updates and so on) them?

Some clarification would be very welcome please.

Everyone that like to develop Qt applications for Fremantle can use the Qt our Qt port.
Sure, Qt is even available for Diablo. That's fine (although having two large-ish GUI runtimes in RAM seems wasteful), it's the dropping of GTK+/Hildon support part that's surprising.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
With gtk they made the mistake of requiring hildonization instead of transparently make gtk applications to work.
From what I read about the community supported qt that is not strictly necessary with it (unless they "fix" it in harmattan).

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by luca View Post
With gtk they made the mistake of requiring hildonization instead of transparently make gtk applications to work.
From what I read about the community supported qt that is not strictly necessary with it (unless they "fix" it in harmattan).
Well, just "making them work", technically, wouldn't mean that their UI's would be usable on the tablet screens.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post: