Active Topics

Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Is your criteria for Harmattan's end based on whether Nokia continue to support the os? If so then Fremantle should be already dead and buried so what is the Fremantle community doing here talking about something dead?

Even if Nokia stops N9 production the user community may still live for another 5 years so talk of Harmattan's death is premature.
For me Harmattan has just recently come to life thanks to 1.2 and flash support...and gtalk video calls. Then we have Inception, open-mode and interesting sideprojects like NITDroid etc...

Btw I forced my friends to install Talkx on their iPhones and now video calls works like a charm between N9 and iPhone.
I don't know it Talkx exists for Android though. I've tried calling Android phones that has vtok installed, but that doesn't work.

Last edited by latency; 2012-03-11 at 15:28.

Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Is your criteria for Harmattan's end based on whether Nokia continue to support the os? If so then Fremantle should be already dead and buried so what is the Fremantle community doing here talking about something dead?

Even if Nokia stops N9 production the user community may still live for another 5 years so talk of Harmattan's death is premature.
No, not premature. My criteria of alive system is active development and progress. Closed bugzilla signals stagnation. I'm not really surprised, since Qgil hinted about it a while ago, so my hopes were never high for Harmattan. Mer systems are the future, not Nokia's OS. If only Nokia could open source something useful from Harmattan (such as e-mail client for example) that could really benefit the community.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
much the rest of the world use Android and Iphone and currently it doesn't work to do video calls from N9 to those.[/QUOTE]

why they dont talk? Simple answer probadly is financial crisis. They depend on qt consulting but as we all know nokia has hurting it ALOT latelly. So if nothing big happens i this area: basyscom and similar qt companys is soon dead if they dont decide to switch devplatform

this is the reality when big companys decide to burn they own platform

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They depend on qt consulting but as we all know nokia has hurting it ALOT latelly.
What do you mean exactly? And how does open governance of Qt affect this?

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
No, not premature. My criteria of alive system is active development and progress. Closed bugzilla signals stagnation. I'm not really surprised, since Qgil hinted about it a while ago, so my hopes were never high for Harmattan. Mer systems are the future, not Nokia's OS. If only Nokia could open source something useful from Harmattan (such as e-mail client for example) that could really benefit the community.
That may be true but what has Mer got to do with Harmattan? Is it a continuation of Harmattan and will it run Harmattan apps? Otherwise your statement that Harmattan is dead and Mer is the future has the same implication as MeeGo is dead, Android is the future of smartphones.

Mer is a continuation of Meego. Harmattan is a failed effort to transition from Maemo to Meego (i.e. it stuck middle of the way). Nokia just showed that Harmattan is doomed, by closing the bugzilla (didn't we really know it all along since Elop's memo?). Naturally you either choose Mer as a way forward, or what? Some might prefer Tizen, but it has less to do with Meego than even Harmattan, it's more related to Bada.

For me personally, deb based systems are preferable to rpm based, just out of familiarity, since for desktop I use Debian, and not Fedora or openSUSE. But for whatever reason Mer is continuing with RPM and some of the rest of the historic Meego structure. (Tizen will pick deb based Bada approach).

On the other hand community projects like Mer are more trustworthy than any corporate efforts, which the likes of Nokia and Intel toss back and forth without any considerations about the community. So far I see only Mer (and some derivatives) as being community driven, having open development and being truly open source.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-12 at 04:13.

Even if Mer is open source and developed by the community what is the point without a hardware partner? If it cannot be implemented into a device it will be nothing more than an academic curiosity. Also there must be a system for creating and selling apps or it will never grow into a practical OS for general users.

So far Mer derivatives have more hardware to run on, than Harmattan. It aims to get more devices, and there are efforts for it, from Plasma Active for example (Spark tablet and etc). There is zero effort like that sort for Harmattan. The problem so far is that Nemo which is targeted for handsets is too immature to be used yet. But Plasma Active on the other hand is a solid tablet UX already.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-12 at 05:27.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Even if Mer is open source and developed by the community what is the point without a hardware partner? If it cannot be implemented into a device it will be nothing more than an academic curiosity. Also there must be a system for creating and selling apps or it will never grow into a practical OS for general users.
Well the spark tablet uses mer so there's a hardware partner it might not be Nokia but at this point thanks to Elops a random Chinese tablet maker has more chances of survival than nokia. And fak general users if they want to be locked down in someones "ecosystem" they can be my guest and give all their money to apple and google for all i care I just need my freedom.

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
.... but at this point thanks to Elops a random Chinese tablet maker has more chances of survival than nokia.
Agree with you on this!

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post: