Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
So, we have two candidates that would prefer not to be considered in a vote, yet due to existing rules will become councillors by default.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
So, we have two candidates that would prefer not to be considered in a vote, yet due to existing rules will become councillors by default.
we had that discussion a couple weeks ago about the Board... if they'd like to, they can resign right away after entering function...
or at any time after that

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So how do we proceed in case of that. Can they resign easier then if elected by votes? Or what is so strange with that?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-31 at 21:58.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
There were candidates who mentioned they'd prefer not to be voted for, but since they nominated themselves or accepted nomination, they must have some desire to help out on Council.

Not a huge problem, imo. The worst case is that they can't donate that much time to Council matters, but will help out where possible and as needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
That's not exact. It's not that I don't want to be part of Council or that I'm not willing to help, but I think it would be better to have different people in both groups, specially if Council was going to have only three members.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
let's not play on the words, shall we?
there is no need to vote thus you got elected automatically.

question now is how will you simply leave the Council on its 1st reunion?

i don't agree with your "completely separate body" opinion.
communication between the two organs is going to be an issue; in order to avoid having a "left hand doesn't know what right hand does (decided, published, whatever...)" it is required to have exchange. the worst is to have each reading the meeting minutes of the other.
the next best thing is a member of the other attending meetings; certainly an improvement, but this leaves the "exchange" limited to meetings.
if one person is in both organs, the flow of information is optimal, as the person will always have the most recent status of both sides.

in fact, if both are going to remain, maybe such a duality should be institutionalised?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
btw...
we didn't vote, so who is going to be chair of the Council?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
since nothing in election rules says there'll be a council without election, and since votes are scheduled for 00:00, Friday, 2nd November 2012, I don't think there's any way to start new council before at least a virtual voting has happened in that very second and the responsible of former council announced the result of that election.
After that the new council will probably meet to elect chair

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
btw...
we didn't vote, so who is going to be chair of the Council?
In the past, the council members have chosen their chair by whatever means they liked. If I'm not mistaken, the selection process often involved a spirited round of "Not it!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i don't agree with your "completely separate body" opinion.
communication between the two organs is going to be an issue;
I think having at least one overlapping member will be nice. Ivan, even if your only donation to the next Council is to act as a conduit for information between the two, it would still be unbelievably helpful.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
since nothing in election rules says there'll be a council without election
Though logically, one can see that if one held an election, each nominee would get at least one vote. Knowing that, there's no reason to actually have it. (And in case there is any doubt, I publicly hereby cast my vote for all 5 candidates, if they want it or not. )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: