Active Topics

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Hello, I'm a new user to this forum (have just recently found this site) and I have found this site interesting.

But skipping to the point, I've been interested about a Jolla device for a while now, and I've heard their next (big) announcement will be due in autumn. What I've collected is that they are currently working on a lot of things, including a new Sailfshish/Jolla promo video. What I think is that when the second batch pre-booking of Jolla phones is announced, a lot more is announced too. I think they will definitely announce the complete specs of the phone. Other things... not sure, but they might shed some light about their app-store solution and apps coming bundled with the phone. And they will probably release the new promo video they've mentioned they're working on.

So what do you think they will announce or not announce? Jolla has been very careful with announcements since Jussi Hurmola's resignation (He announced that their first phone will be released in 2012; that might have something to do with his later resignation and their current carefulness with announcements). To me it seems they do a few BIG announcements rather than several small ones.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-08-25 at 11:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
When I saw the headline I thought Jolla had launched some new cool campaign. I'm so disappointed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Well summer is over in 7 days, so it's a possibility they'll launch the campaign then

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sounds good to me. Anything is better than nothing. Hope the price is around 299 Euro. 399 euro doesn't fit the device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Hardware specs should be finalised now that they are ordering batches from China. Pretty sure that they'll annouce full hardware specs. Propably bit more about OS as well.

App-store etc. I would not expect until winter, closer to phone hitting the stores.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
I hope they'll shed some light about Other Halves too. If they've decided to produce the keyboard halves, it would be time to announce it too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Albuquerque US&A
I hope they will allow orders from the USA this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to jib For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
To reach the US probably they'd need to rework the RF/modem section of their device and certainly going through an expensive FCC certification round.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
A possibility for those outside the EU... shipito has a warehouse in Austria. They are currently forwarding via Austrian Post and FedEx.

Given that the device will be compatible with your service provider(s) and if distribution is limited to the EU... it should be as simple as changing your mailing address on the pre-order.

Last edited by Kriek; 2013-09-04 at 04:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
To reach the US probably they'd need to rework the RF/modem section of their device and certainly going through an expensive FCC certification round.
Why? If they support needed LTE frequencies, no need to rework anything. Most modern modems support many frequencies at once. FCC can be a mess though.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order