Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by Betty Woo View Post
but I never did and highly doubt I will ever use the N800 with a cellphone.
Then I think you may have bought the wrong gadget. The N800 is made by NOKIA, so they kind of expect you to have a "proper" cellphone, preferably 3G. Personally, I would not have bothered getting the n800 before I got an affordable data plan.
Cellphones with PIM have killed the PDA market. You should be syncing your mac with your phone, which is with you all the time. Sure, I'd like to sync the N800 too, but the phone is more important.
The beauty of the N800 is "internet everywhere". Its an internet tablet. At home or office, where you have a proper computer, why use the n800?
Sure you can use it as a media player, but there are better solutions out there.

1. I. Can't. Read. The. Fonts. The screen's just too damned small.
Lots of pixels, screen needs to be small. Therefore it needs to be held close, about 20cm/8". Eventually we all need reading glasses.

The Ultra-Slim bluetooth one I got is fine. But it does mean an extra bag to carry around. Pecking at the onscreen keyboard is slow
The keyboard is just for big trips, or the odd occasion tyou know you'll need it. Other times you can choose finger, stylus, or writing recognition. The latter especially is very fast with a little practice.
But I'm not slavish enough to a brand (or I would have just marched into an Apple store and bought an iTouch without thinking) and the N800 will have competition with the EEE PC - next year.
It sounds like the iTouch would have suited you better. Its a beautiful media player, but lack of bluetooth for cellphone access killed it for me. The iTouch is a usable PIM and has good email, once its jailbroken.

Instead of the Eeepc, consider a second-hand mini-laptop. I got an old IBM X-23 to take on vacation for movies and web. Cheaper than an Eeepc, and with a proper screen. 1.6kg.

The Following User Says Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Personally, I would not have bothered getting the n800 before I got an affordable data plan.
You're obviously not Canadian. There's no such beast as the 'affordable data plan' here. That's why Apple won't sell the iPhone to us.

I have never owned a cell phone. Don't plan to. I love my N800. She's my precioussss... Free Wi-Fi is becoming ubiquitous, at least in Vancouver, my hometown.

The beauty of the N800 is "internet everywhere". Its an internet tablet. At home or office, where you have a proper computer, why use the n800?
For one thing, I can have a pocketable Internet radio player (via campus wi-fi), even when my office's firewall disallows it. Comics in the bathroom, e-books in bed or on the bus...

PS: This was typed on the stylus keyboard in my in-laws' living room.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-25 at 06:09.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You're obviously not Canadian. There's no such beast as the 'affordable data plan' here.... Free Wi-Fi is becoming ubiquitous
Its only recently that 3G data has been priced for consumers in Australia.
It still expensive outside the major cities, where Telstra still has a monopoly. (Too expensive for most consumers)
However the mobile phone situation in general is much better, while cable/adsl access is much worse than in Canada. It all comes down to evil inefficient monopolies - Telstra and AT&T/Rogers, and where they find competition. And also regulation. Rogers gets away with thoroughly unethical anticompetitive practices, such as unjustified handset locking.
Good luck.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm responding to all sorts of things in several other posts...

Originally Posted by promethh View Post
...I've been .. using ssh, scp, and web...
What scp client are you using? I haven't found anything really useful yet, but I think that's because I'm looking for a GUI, and you're working from a command line.

Originally Posted by promethh View Post
You know that -X works just fine with ssh on the N8x0, don't you? That magic parameter allows you to run Xwindows apps on your N8x0 just as you would a larger workstation. I typically pull up nedit, xchat, or various little apps from mine.

WELL, "screen" works with them too. No, I didn't know that either. I told a co-worker about my fear of lost scripts this morning, and that screen had saved my arse, and he told me he's been using screen and X on his N800. His connection drops, he reconnects, and his Xwindows are still there?!
I use VNC and a N8x0 sized server screen for the same "persistant session" effect. (vncserver -geometry 800x480) I'm sure it's more resource hungry, but I like it.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Last time I tried it, I couldn't get past thunderbird password prompt. How do you enter text on a remote, non hildonized, app? (with an n800 and no hardware keyboard).
This is where VNC wins, on an N800 with no hardware keyboard. VNC uses the on-screen keyboard if you need it.

Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
... big PDA systems like the Advantage or Shift from HTC look a lot better for many jobs including cross-platform programming (JAVA)
I looked up the price on those HTC systems. I spluttered coffee when I saw the price... HTC Advantage: $975! HTC Shift: $2000!! Those devices aren't in any way comparable to the tablets.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Maybe you need the wimax tablet, Betty?
I think that the upcoming Nokia Wimax Tablet could be the Next Disruptive Technology. Here in Canada, we can't get reasonable rates on cell phone data plans, but, from the same company (Rogers) that charges criminal rates for cell phone data plans ($0.05 per KB if you tether!), we can get "Portable Internet Lite" (256k/s down) for $20 a month or "Portable Internet" (1.5 MB/s down) for $45 a month. The coverage is very good in urban centres (like cell phone coverage 10 years ago). Looks like there's a 30GB download limit. In general, it is structured like a residential Internet service, not like a cell phone data plan. They don't even have it under "wireless services," but under "Internet services"!

When the Wimax Tablet drops, there will be a lot of people here realizing you can get a handheld computer that works like a smartphone with really fast Internet, VoIP, etc, all for a reasonable flat monthly rate, compared to the outrageous rates smartphone users pay.

Everything's gonna change.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-26 at 20:21.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the htc shift is a full windows computer with a built in mobile phone with windows mobile.

with the press of a button one can jump from one to the other.

sadly they have crippled the windows mobile part...

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Once you can not put it in your pocket, does it really matter how big your laptop bag is?
+1. Totally agree.

Not any more, at least in the major cities.
There are a few options around A$30/month now.
I'm on A$15/month for 1GB with '3', though voice rates are a bit high, and data roaming outside the 3G areas is $1.65/MB (The phone is set not to allow this!).
Vodafone AU has data incorporated into its caps. So the $79 cap includes up to $500 of data, voice, whatever.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
the htc shift is a full windows computer with a built in mobile phone with windows mobile.

with the press of a button one can jump from one to the other.

All this for only $2000? Wow.

Originally Posted by tso View Post

It is hard to imagine Windows Mobile more crippled than it is normally.

I have had a WM pda for years and I cannot stand it - it is a fight from the very start to get it to be remotely useful.

Hence my reason for exploring the n810 option.

Then I think you may have bought the wrong gadget. The N800 is made by NOKIA, so they kind of expect you to have a "proper" cellphone, preferably 3G. Personally, I would not have bothered getting the n800 before I got an affordable data plan.
Cellphones with PIM have killed the PDA market. You should be syncing your mac with your phone, which is with you all the time. Sure, I'd like to sync the N800 too, but the phone is more important.
I don't want a cellphone plan. I don't need a cellphone beyond my $100 a year 7-11 deal. I'm actually pretty anti-cellphone - lots of noise and air pollution coming out of people on their phones all. The. Damned. Time.

And if you think a Canadian is going to wait for an N800 until there's an 'affordable' data plan, you'll be waiting until the N12xx, I'm afraid. Or until there's more competition in the cellphone market 'round here... . If it's any consolation, I have a Nokia basic phone from 7-11.

Sure you can use it as a media player, but there are better solutions out there.
The N800 is pretty good as a media player (and cheaper than a lot of them). But it *can* act as an internet tablet as long as you have wifi and it *is* a good companion as long as you're in a city with coffeeshops and such that have paid or free internet. Luckily, I have a coffeeshop right downstairs from my office with free internet access so a chia latte and the N800 and I have the ability to at least read my private emails (that I can't do in office since they filter out online and ISP email capabilities). But I imagine that anywhere I am likely to go in the next two years will have similar set-ups.

It's not like I'd bring it into the middle of nowhere. Not that having a local data plan and a phone would be practical, really, in the middle of nowhere, either... .

Lots of pixels, screen needs to be small. Therefore it needs to be held close, about 20cm/8". Eventually we all need reading glasses.
Yes. Once the rose-coloured glasses came off, I realized quick enough that anything beyond light reading on the web was off limits on this thing. Word processors and chat clients are different though, in that you can change the font size without resorting to scrolling.

[snip]

It sounds like the iTouch would have suited you better. Its a beautiful media player, but lack of bluetooth for cellphone access killed it for me. The iTouch is a usable PIM and has good email, once its jailbroken.
iTouch is $319CAN + taxes for the 8GB (plus the hassle to jailbreak it), the screen's smaller and you're stuck with Apple-propriatary applications and nowhere to go other than to sit on your *** and wait for Apple to deign to provide users with something of like an application bauble to keep the users amused.

As far as I know, it doesn't have Skype or very good media players. And the memory is not expandable. And the keyboard issue would still be there.

Ergo, it has less features than the N800 for about 45% higher price. Whereever I go, my iPod Nano goes, too. So syncing will happen between my Mac and my gadgets. It just won't be with the N800... which is a shame.

Aside from the features problem I had with the iTouch was simply the cost. I'm realistic. I figure whatever I have that's technology-based *now*, I'll invariably replace in two-ish years (except my Macs. I tend to keep those for 5-6 years). I just don't want to spend that much money on something that I'll feel is kind of obsolete in two years.

At least the N800 will make a great bedside alarm/clock/internet radio station/convenient internet capable tablet once I replace it in my toy chest with something else. Unlike, say, my old iPods that are just gathering dust right now.

Instead of the Eeepc, consider a second-hand mini-laptop. I got an old IBM X-23 to take on vacation for movies and web. Cheaper than an Eeepc, and with a proper screen. 1.6kg.
I'll see where I'm at the next time I have to travel beyond two weeks. *That* won't happen at least until the fall, unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to Betty Woo For This Useful Post: