Active Topics

My university uses 802.1X /w WEP and hidden SSIDs. Last night I finally got around to (read: procrastinated while supposedly studying for exams) and compiled wpa_supplicant for OS2008. (wireless-tools also)

Binaries are at http://ified.ca/downloads/maemo/. They were compiled with all options enabled using the WEXT driver. I stuck them in /usr/local/bin and added that to the PATH.

I connected successfully with the following steps:
  1. Connect using the GUI to a random AP (otherwise apps think you are offline)
  2. Fiddle with iwconfig until iwlist shows the AP
  3. wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0 -d
  4. udhcp -i wlan0

With this /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
Code:
ap_scan=1

network={
    ssid="the_ssid"
    key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
    identity="my_username"
    password="my_password"
}
This survived being locked and left for half an hour, but did not roam. Walking across campus caused the association to fail, then ICd (or whatever) shut of the WiFi.

My next goal is to integrate this with wlancond, probably by using a magic WEP key that will tell it to launch wpa_supplicant. My knowledge of wpa_supplicant is minimal, but I believe that this will allow the use of "ap_scan=0" in the config, letting us bypass all the issues with hidden SSIDs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danguy For This Useful Post:
This is great news for OS2008: previously, we didn't have support in the (closed) wireless kernel module for WEXT and wpa_supplicant.

Time to sort out dummy APs again...

I never found a way on my laptop to roam within a hidden SSID net - short of attaching to a new AP as the old gets completely inaccessible. It does not seem to be possible while maintaining a connection, as nothing short of promiscuous sniffing or a connection attempt (which both severe the existing connection) would tell you the SSID of a hidden AP. If any, you'd have to assume being entirely within range of your hidden network, and hop channels blindly - but that will cause a lost connection whenever you hit upon a foreign hidden net.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post:
FWIW, I didn't have any trouble roaming with my old T3 w/wi-fi card back when we used hidden SSID at work. Now it's not hidden anymore so I can't test this particular case with my N800.

Ill try it on our university network (eduroam) with PEAP-MSCHAPv2, i had no luck with connecting to that net :/

Thanks a lot danguy, i can finally connect to our university network.

i have to do:
- connect to the DUMMY AP
- ifconfig wlan0 down
- ifconfig wlan0 up
- start wpa_supplicant
- start udhcpd

and hurray, iam online :]

Originally Posted by danguy View Post
My next goal is to integrate this with wlancond, probably by using a magic WEP key that will tell it to launch wpa_supplicant. My knowledge of wpa_supplicant is minimal, but I believe that this will allow the use of "ap_scan=0" in the config, letting us bypass all the issues with hidden SSIDs.
I wish you luck with your next goal, that would be perfect if you manage to get it working like you said .)

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ montreal
This is amazing! Thank you so much for uploading those binaries! I can check my mail at school now.
some noob questions:
I'm a bit confused about the whole "dummy ap" thing. can you explain it further?
right now i'm connecting to an imaginary ad-hoc network, but i lose my connection to it after 20-30 seconds. is this a problem with the ap or with something else?
also, do you know if there is any difference between your wirelesstools and the one in the mulliner.org repo?

--edit:
i just realized you need to do this for the dummy iap to work

Last edited by spokewrench; 2008-02-01 at 22:51.

Danguy,

I downloaded the binaries and put them in /usr/local/bin and tried to run wpa_supplicant.

I get the following errors:
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported

it continues with similar errors with different param values (0-9) until I quit using ctrl-c

it appears to be a driver issue, do I need to download a different driver?

I'm on an n800 with the new os2008 release.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by absolutgaloot View Post
Same thing here on a N810.
I tried it with a basic WPA setup (PSK, no EAP thingy).

Eric

Originally Posted by spokewrench View Post
I'm a bit confused about the whole "dummy ap" thing. can you explain it further?
right now i'm connecting to an imaginary ad-hoc network, but i lose my connection to it after 20-30 seconds. is this a problem with the ap or with something else?
also, do you know if there is any difference between your wirelesstools and the one in the mulliner.org repo?
The dummy AP is just so that applications think you are online and don't tell ICd to connect. I am not sure what would cause it to disconnect, but the best solution seems is to completely replace ICd. It turns out that I currently do not have time for that project.

I just compiled wireless-tools because at the time, they were not available. I would recommend the mulliner.org package for the sole reason that it is a package.

Originally Posted by absolutgaloot View Post
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
I am getting a similar message now. Perhaps something changed between the first release of OS2008 and the latest one? Actually, I may have been running the N810 version when I made this. I cannot remember for sure now.

I'll look into it more.