Notices

Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Just try different browser (usable browser not giant iceweasel): opera mobile, opera mini 8, qml webkit browsers.
These browsers aren't exactly new either... even if one of them is still working today it might not work tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Yes, you have right but up to date browsers are too heavy for n900 so what else he can do?

The Following User Says Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
The https://community.letsencrypt.org/ site works for me on (pretty old - 2012) Android Opera Mobile 12.0 Extensions.
User Agent:
Code:
 Opera/9.80 (Android 4.4.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/build-1203300859; U; pl) Presto/2.10.254 Version/12.00
You can change the User Agent string in the Opera Mobile in the opera:config.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Yes, you have right but up to date browsers are too heavy for n900 so what else he can do?
I don't consider Surf and Easy Debian heavy. It is very snappy. I have updated the Iceweasel link on my desktop and it starts Surf within a few seconds (opens the browser with google.com).
I compared Surf with the default Meamo browser by opening a more resource hungry website and Surf is definitely more responsive / faster.

It would be interesting to test some websites with Surf that folks have troubles with from a performance, rendering or compatibility pov with other browsers.

The one I had troubles with emacs.wiki.org is working great with Surf.

BTW. I am not saying that this is the best solution for everyone - Surf is a bit rough around the edges and lacks some of the fancy stuff that other browser have out of the box (eg. zoom, bookmarks)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
The https://community.letsencrypt.org/ site works for me on (pretty old - 2012) Android Opera Mobile 12.0 Extensions.
User Agent:
Code:
 Opera/9.80 (Android 4.4.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/build-1203300859; U; pl) Presto/2.10.254 Version/12.00
You can change the User Agent string in the Opera Mobile in the opera:config.
Changed the user agent with HideUserAgent with the one you mentioned but https://community.letsencrypt.org/ still doesn't work for me (checked on various websites the fact that the user agent really changed).

So apparently https://community.letsencrypt.org/ doesn't seem to use the user agent to check if the browser is old... any ideas what could it use instead?

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Also when I access TMO without login in and want to search for something, I don't get an image for the verification process on my N900... I was expecting at least TMO to work as it should with the N900...

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
Changed the user agent with HideUserAgent with the one you mentioned but https://community.letsencrypt.org/ still doesn't work for me (checked on various websites the fact that the user agent really changed).
Did you try to open the problematic website using Opera Mobile instead of stock Maemo's browser?
I'm not sure if the HideUserAgent affects also Opera's User Agent.
Captcha in the search view on TMO also works using the Opera Mobile.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
If it helps, I get an error from slashdot (uses letsencrypt) about no common ciphers. All I do is press enter again on address bar and second time it loads.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
Did you try to open the problematic website using Opera Mobile instead of stock Maemo's browser?
I'm not sure if the HideUserAgent affects also Opera's User Agent.
Captcha in the search view on TMO also works using the Opera Mobile.
I don't have Opera Mobile on my N900, and frankly I can't say it's my favourite browser, I would rather use the stock browser, but thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
If it helps, I get an error from slashdot (uses letsencrypt) about no common ciphers. All I do is press enter again on address bar and second time it loads.
Yeah I get a lot of no common ciphers and some of them just don't work. Sad to not be able to use the stock browser for some sites.

So, I checked on the web but didn't find any answer : what is community.letsencrypt.org using besides the user agent to detect the device and browser used?

Any ideas?

Tags
hideuseragent, old browser