Active Topics

Notices

I received an email that as of August 1st, Google Voice will stop forwarding texts to my carrier number. The recommended fix is "use the Google Voice app". As there is no Google Voice app for SFOS, I'd like to find an alternate way to continue to receive text messages and notifications on my Sailfish device.
There are three paths forward that come to mind:
  1. Reverse engineer how the Android app communicates and write an app that does the same thing.
  2. Use a headless browser and Selenium (or similar) to scrape data from the GV website.
  3. Set up text-to-email, and script a thin wrapper over emails that extracts all the GV ones into an app with appropriate notifications.

The last one would be the simplest to implement, but would also mean only receiving new text messages every five minutes or so.

Any thoughts? Looking for feedback from others before starting down one of these paths.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I got that email, too. Google's been messing around quite a bit with voice and hangouts lately, moving functionality around for whatever reason "googly" reason they do things for . . .

A native client reverse-engineered would be the coolest solution, but probably the most labor-intensive one.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Another reason not to use google services.

But maybe looking at this approach it might inspire more ideas.

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=mms

Basically they are using matrix to fwd mms messages to the phone. Pretty smart actually.

Good luck!! Get rid of gVoice :P

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

Tags
google voice