Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Just trying out the new version, all the dialogs seem to work as they should.

Might be nice to suggest some locations for data with the ability to select somewhere arbitrary as well - most people probably won't care what the folder is called... you could suggest ~/OSMServer or sdcard/OSMServer and create the chosen folder too, which would prevent the user having to leave the app and come back.

I also got the connection closed error downloading the map data for Great Britain (on Fairphone 2, if that matters). I'll try again whilst charging and see if that helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Also, in the download counter what do the D and W in brackets stand for?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Not that it helps you - it worked for me when I downloaded Germany. I presume you mean the whole country, 4GB+ unpacked.

I presume you do have enough space to download full Germany.

[...]

Let me know how it goes. We can always complain and ask for advice from the provider.

PS: OSM Scout uses @Karry's own server and has also different download implementation.
I seems there is some kind of incompatiblility between my Jolla C, my WIFI at home, my ISP, the CDN provider and the Download implementation in osmscout-server (maybe not all of them, but no idea what the real problem is here).

Downloading maps for parts of Germany does work for some, but not for the bigger ones. Several tries for the whole country would always fail at some point downloading areas.dat.

Today I tried the download with the WIFI at work, and it worked perfectly. No interruptions, no errors, just downloaded the whole map in one try..

I have no idea what the problem might be, since every other Download so far worked without any Issues on my home WIFI with my Jolla C.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Just trying out the new version, all the dialogs seem to work as they should.

Might be nice to suggest some locations for data with the ability to select somewhere arbitrary as well - most people probably won't care what the folder is called... you could suggest ~/OSMServer or sdcard/OSMServer and create the chosen folder too, which would prevent the user having to leave the app and come back.
Great idea, I opened an issue at github regarding it and would implement it when I get there

I also got the connection closed error downloading the map data for Great Britain (on Fairphone 2, if that matters). I'll try again whilst charging and see if that helps.
OK, it looks that I need to make a more robust downloader. I think I have an idea on how to do it, it may just take some time. Let me know if your next tries worked and if the charger helped.

Issues to address it have been opened as well.

Also, in the download counter what do the D and W in brackets stand for?
When I was implementing it, I was wondering if someone would ask.

The downloads are organized as follows: you download bz2 archive (the expected remaining part is shown as (D) in MBs) and write it to the disk unpacked (shown as W).

@seiichiro0185: I am glad it worked in other place. I'll work on implementation to make it possible to download it at your home as well.

Last edited by rinigus; 2017-03-06 at 10:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I retried the download on charger, managed go download the map fine but the other data failed (several times). Will have another go this evening.

I retried the download on charger, managed go download the map fine but the other data failed (several times). Will have another go this evening.
I'll work on fixing those broken downloads as the first priority. @Karry already gave a great suggestion on an aspect of its implementation, now just have to work on it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@Feathers McGraw, Would you mind to test downloading with RPM provided at

https://mega.nz/#F!cdcEDbpb!i4A1GwKM_TXeRYBaahYgAg

It should resume downloads for few times (you would see RANGE messages in terminal if you start it over there). After testing and (hopefully fully) downloading, remove this RPM and install the one as in OpenRepos. This RPM has debug messages in it and not compiled in release mode.

If its all fine, I'll hook messages into GUI, merge translations that are ready and release 0.7.1. If it fails, then would be great to know how (as much as you know what to tell)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:

It should resume downloads for few times (you would see RANGE messages in terminal if you start it over there). After testing and (hopefully fully) downloading, remove this RPM and install the one as in OpenRepos. This RPM has debug messages in it and not compiled in release mode.

If its all fine, I'll hook messages into GUI, merge translations that are ready and release 0.7.1. If it fails, then would be great to know how (as much as you know what to tell)
I will give it a try as soon as I can, but I'm moving house tomorrow and unfortunately I won't have internet access for a week afterwards! Any other volunteers available this week?

I will give it a try as soon as I can, but I'm moving house tomorrow and unfortunately I won't have internet access for a week afterwards! Any other volunteers available this week?
Thanks for giving a timeline. I'll continue with hooking it into GUI and would release based on my testing unless some negative feedback would come in.

My tests so far have been promising, but the conditions could be different in other places.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia

@rinigus I try this version. I don't know how to make better maps for Russia. For ex., I have interest for two regions(from 85), but for this I should to download two districts(from 8)... It's difference in space.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles