Well there are media programs/managers such as iTunes and Windows Media Player that can sync devices with playlists and songs. I was wondering if there was any other program that could do something similar in Ubuntu or Windows.

Say I would create a playlist of songs I would like to play while driving on my desktop/laptop. The program would either take the playlist and songs and copy them to my tablet. Or output them into one directory.. say Temp/Music where I could use ssh to copy them over to my tablet.

Right now I can make playlists myself, but I then have to configure it for the directory structure of my n800, and then copy all the music into place. Something that automates this slightly would be nice.

As for why I just don't do this on my tablet, it's because I don't always have my tablet on to play music while my computers are usually on. It'd be easier to listen to whatever song I'm thinking about on my computer and then add it to a playlist for later syncing.

Edit: It doesn't have to be a media player, a script or add on to any existing program would also work fine. I usually use Songbird in Windows and Banshee in Ubuntu though so a program or script that could be used with those existing programs would be nice.

Is it even possible?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Definitely possible. Currently not in Songbird though, as the current version doesn't have a Sync to Mass-Storage plugin. It's on the list in the next version or so though. Not sure about Banshee...I believe Amarok will do it, although since you're using Banshee, there a good chance you're not sitting in the KDE app camp.

Now as for what I'm currently doing in Windows. I'm using MediaMonkey and syncing with the USB Mass Storage driver...but since my n810 doesn't like to connect via USB all of the time, I mapped a drive letter to a folder with the 'subst' command(subst m: c:\musicsync) and configured Media Monkey to sync to drive M. Then once I sync up my "M drive", I just wirelessly sftp the content to my tablet. It requires fully copying everything when I sync, but I just let it copy over at night and it works for me...

And as for the meat of you question....I can just create a playlist and then sync that playlist and it will copy the playlist and all the entries in it over to my sync folder...

I would rather use Songbird or some other OSS software, but that's what I've found that works thus far...

Thank you! I'll be sure to try that. I assume with Amarok I can do something similar (just requires creating a 'fake' mount device?)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Bumping this thread, because I'm wondering if anyone can help me setup an easy sync of my music on my computer to the N800. Running Windows Vista and currently using Media Monkey (but open to try another program if it would work better).

Currently I have about a 20GB library (but still have another 100 or so CDs to rip). On the N800 I have two 16GB SD cards. What I want to do is have music separated by Artist on the two cards, so A-P would go on the internal card, and Q-Z would go on the external card. This should give me plenty of room on both cards as I continue to add CDs...but I have no idea how I can make this automatic. ANy pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
funny, this, I was just thinking about hacking something up after being given an ipod touch and coming to the realisation that I don't like itunes, I already hate OSX and despise windows.

if I do knock something up, it'd be some sort of web app and background process for linux.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
For those of you linux users looking for banshee support, you should go add to the bug over at gnome bugzilla.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=603821

The more attention we get to it the better.

Amarok2 sees the device as a "regular" mp3-player when connected.
Filetype conversions and sync settings can be done through small scripts. It's a little unstable on my system (running it inside gnome), but it works generally

The Following User Says Thank You to bastler For This Useful Post: