Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Nokia desperately needs a move on.
Yes, you're right!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I mean by the time the n900 is released it will almost be thereabouts!
Maybe, maybe not. I'd personally put it in Q3 this year, which is more like a 1.5 years. Either way, I don't think the delay merits quite the exciting you've given it. Consider that there aren't any OMAP3 devices on the market yet, and the closest one to relaese (the Pandora) is still months away.

It's really nowhere near as urgent (or late) as you make it out to be.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
But we here are talking about mobile computers..... and in this day and age..... it is really hard for me to see any other device having the same hardware for 2 whole years and counting.
You have this impression simply because we shipped very early top notch hw: even the "old" N800 has an OMAP 2420 @ 400MHz that is still not available even in the latest S60 phones.

The only possible upgrade would have been 2430, which mostly could be interesting for the improved DMA engine, but that's it.

AFAIK atm nobody (not even TI) has fully working support for linux on OMAP3 and anyway the silicon is still in the Engineering Sample stage.

Nokia desperately needs a move on.
Well, announcements are made only when there actually is something to announce, but if you want to have some insight about what is going on, you can follow the linux-omap mailing list. But being silent doesn't mean being asleep ;-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Thanks for the heads up. I am very very passionate about nokia and i really cant stand it when other companies are really investing a lot of effort and money into this platform which nokia actually founded. From what little news i see and the way this platform has been handled i think we need to put much much more into this platform.
Seeing all these bugs in the OS and the way the platform is being adverise i cant help but think that this platform is very low on importance on nokia's radar. just look at other companies(apple for example) they are really pumping effort and money into this platform. With nokia's world wide reach and being the undisputed leader i just want to see more and more development so that nokia continues to be number 1 in the mobile field.

"But being silent doesn't mean being asleep ;-)"

Unfortuantely as a regular user of the forum i feel that more and more users are getting frustrated by the lack of commitement(more due to assumptions due to a lack of announcements and lack of advertising.) from nokia to the users. Just look at the number of complaints and unresolved bugs. They really are a little too many for comfort.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Unfortuantely as a regular user of the forum i feel that more and more users are getting frustrated by the lack of commitement(more due to assumptions due to a lack of announcements and lack of advertising.) from nokia to the users. Just look at the number of complaints and unresolved bugs. They really are a little too many for comfort.
This is something where the only acceptable answer should be an official statement. And Quim is the one who should be pinged.

Sometimes I see discussions on this forum that leave me perplexed: why asking questions to eachother or even try to pry them out from the poor Texrat who, like the undersigned cannot and should not make any statement that even resembles a hint or a promise.
Why? Because only few really have the whole picture and actually can give reliable info. Nokia is a company with many heads and even being deeply involved in the tablets, I don't have enough knowledge to give a good answer. So better shut up about schedule/features and try to help with factual information, for what i know.

So, boring as i might seem, the answer is always the same: ping Quim, it's his job to be informed and to be the faceman/evangelist for maemo.
Why bothering with 2nd hand info when you can go straight to the source?
I think it would be much simpler if the forum would act as a catalyst for questions and maybe even complaints (maemo related, of course, not technical support stuff).

Quim is nice enough that I think he could be persuaded to have a periodic get together or Q/A session.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by igor View Post
This is something where the only acceptable answer should be an official statement. And Quim is the one who should be pinged.

Sometimes I see discussions on this forum that leave me perplexed: why asking questions to eachother or even try to pry them out from the poor Texrat who, like the undersigned cannot and should not make any statement that even resembles a hint or a promise.
Why? Because only few really have the whole picture and actually can give reliable info. Nokia is a company with many heads and even being deeply involved in the tablets, I don't have enough knowledge to give a good answer. So better shut up about schedule/features and try to help with factual information, for what i know.

So, boring as i might seem, the answer is always the same: ping Quim, it's his job to be informed and to be the faceman/evangelist for maemo.
Why bothering with 2nd hand info when you can go straight to the source?
I think it would be much simpler if the forum would act as a catalyst for questions and maybe even complaints (maemo related, of course, not technical support stuff).

Quim is nice enough that I think he could be persuaded to have a periodic get together or Q/A session.

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer. What i am trying to
convey is that more and more people are getting frustrated with the tablets. I know there is no limit to our expectations. But what i am talking here is about the basic functions which were advertised it could do. I spend a lot of time here on the boards and there have been numerous threads complaining of gps, os stability, video playback issues, repositories, processor maxing out when doing basic functions like pim, broken apps like the email, metacrawler bug..... and the list goes on and on. These are all advertised things which the end user takes for granted. Yeah slowly some of them have been sorted... but clearly that is not sufficient. there are a many more which are still there. I truly appreciate the hard work of the developers who work hard to make these apps.
unfotunately i am a doctor and i dont have the least bit of knowledge about linux or any thing else... but i still spend a lot of time on the forum(which i should be spending to read for my medical exams) and try to help noobs with troubleshooting.

This is just my frustration pouring out. Thats all.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by igor View Post
While not the most content ridden interview I've ever heard, the live Skype conference he did with thoughtfix was very refreshing and a lot of fun.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Fine, but you're replying to my post out of context. OppositeOfIgnorance's question was to whether WiMAX would be replacing Wifi at the consumer level (i.e. for home and business wireless LAN access), which is obviously does not.

Mmmhhh: E version? With a mobile version I don't need a personal LAN. It’s like a cellular: I can call both my wife in the kitchen or connect to my Desktop or "database-box" upstairs. I expect business networks to remain cable by preference for a number of reasons.

Just for fun: http://www.maxtelecom.bg/index.php?t=0&p=0&lang=en

Erm, not really. In a general sense, yeah, technical specifics tend to not to be important the market, but they really accomplish two different things. Wifi is a consumer-level short-range wireless LAN standard that has also been tasked to provide semi-fixed access at the city and neighborhood range (potentially as an ISP of sorts), while WiMAX is a long-range last-mile and mobile-broadband access standard that wont be used for personal LAN access in-home.

They're two very different things (despite an evidently consumer-confusing similarity in name).

WiMAX = mid range by the way. The possibility of direct end user access exists and is operational. (Mobile WiMAX). But let's not make all this to strict: probably the different perspective is in your line: "wont be used for personal LAN access in-home."

I do consider WiFI not limited to a personal LAN at home (which it is on the technical level). I use WiFI now (almost) everywhere. This afternoon shopping with my wife I took my N800 with me for accessing the internet in a café. I can use public WiFi in libraries, musea and in most meetings. I did Skype from the Mall in DC, using Smithsonian etc. My documents, Calendar etc. are on Google that is accessible through Internet.

I dropped my personal LAN already last year. Don't need it anymore. But I still have WiFI for my N800. Sometimes Bluetooth to my Cellular or Desktop.
My perspective is from the service level: I see WiFi as a link to the Web, VoIP, Music etc. WiMAX may improve that service.

(As you can see: in the end we all can agree to anything. )

Yes, if you see the wikipedia article on WiMAX, it is being offered as a last-mile alternative to things like cable and DSL as well as for cellular data access, but this doesn't make it similar to Wifi .

Certainly not. Thanks for the link. I Linked trough to the Dutch Wiki and learned that Casema, a (large EU) Cable Firm aims to have a fully functioning mobile WiMAX broadband network operational before the end of 2008. It should also provide VoIP.
A Quote from a Dutch researcher: "The WiMAX E version and UMTS are direct competitors," says Jan de Nijs of TNO Telecom. "WiMAX doesn't necessarily offer different services, but the same services may be cheaper. Price competition in mobile broadband is increasing via WiMAX, UMTS, and its successor HSDPA.''

However they also claim that half of Belgium is already WiMAX-ed. So we have to be careful about this: As you know Wiki is like Meamo: You can't be sure about quality.

Yes, they serve two different purposes.
Absolutely….always true of course …Crocodole & Aligator ..

You might want to read this :
http://www.wimaxforum.org/technology...ternatives.pdf

Thanks for your response.

I do appreciate your great contribution and your helpful replies.

Perhaps you could provide some info for: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...059#post162059

Abel.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Well, I suppose this counts as an official confirmation of the Wimax tablet!

There's no way to find out anything more about it though... but presumably it's just a normal N810 with a Wimax chip in it?

Which makes me wonder why the non-WiMAX version doesn't use that space for something else ...

or does the WiMAX one omit the GPS chips? and maybe also the internal data card for storing the GPS data?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
I do consider WiFI not limited to a personal LAN at home (which it is on the technical level). I use WiFI now (almost) everywhere. This afternoon shopping with my wife I took my N800 with me for accessing the internet in a café. I can use public WiFi in libraries, musea and in most meetings. I did Skype from the Mall in DC, using Smithsonian etc. My documents, Calendar etc. are on Google that is accessible through Internet.
None of which makes Wifi anything more than a LAN technology. You weren't using one logical network over a wide area. You were jumping from one small network-island to another small network-island. It would be no different from, if you had to use wires, plugging in at the cafe, unplugging and going to the library to plug in, etc. You have to literally change networks for each destination.

WiMAX, on the otherhand, is not a LAN in any sense (personal nor corporate nor public). It is one logical network over an entire area (for now, metropolitan areas, but in the long term it should develop into national areas). It is definitely not limited to being a "Local Area Network". It is more like a cell phone, where you are using the same logical network no matter which service island you're in, and the service islands give you seemless transitions.

That's not merely a technical distinction. It's a user visible distinction. Unless your city has deployed city-wide WIFI, you shouldn't expect to be in the middle of a huge park and get a nice Wifi signal. But you should expect that with WiMAX, once it's fully deployed. You should, eventually, expect WiMAX to give you the same coverage you get with GSM or CDMA.

The fact that so many phones have radios for BOTH should give you a perfect example of how Wifi is not a WWAN -- if it was, then the iPhone wouldn't need EDGE -- it could use GSM for voice, and Wifi for data, everywhere. But that's not the case. The iPhone uses Wifi where it can find it, and then it uses EDGE for places where it can't find Wifi. WiMAX, however, is supposed to eventually give you Wifi speed with EDGE coverage. Thus, Wifi is not in the same class as WiMAX. Wifi is for highly localized service (within a small building area), where WiMAX is for Wide Area service.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post: