Notices

Hi guys,

I've got to say the standard calendar is quite limited. I didn't really noticed it while using it for the first weeks, but no I get to the limits every day.

1.) As I'm right, there's no possibility of deleting just one event of an repeating event-series. Right? That's just unusable in every-day life.

2.) Syncing via Mail for exchange with m.google.com doesn't really work. Sometimes it does, but since about a month - without changing anything on settings - it doesn't any more.

3.) Creating event-series is quite hard. For an event on every Thuesday and Friday I got to create two events and even that sucks as ...

4.) there's no copy function for events.

That's all quite limited and so I took a look an other calendars:

GPE calendar seems to be far more developed. But how can I import the events from the standard calendar? Any way?

mCalendar would be another possibility - but it doesn't install because of unfulfilled dependencies.

Which calendar application do you use?

Thanks.

Bye,
MPW

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
I'm afraid that we are stuck with the default calendar application. It is true that N900 can not yet be considered as a full featured PIM – or even full featured calendar. Despite the fact that calendar is one of the most vital business applications to have.

Completely agree. This calendar app. is no match for the standard symbian calendar.

I'd like to nominate the date time input as an additional example of wrong implementation. While it makes sense as a touch screen input design, this phone has a keyboard. I should be able to type the date and time of an appointment, at the very least.

Given that both symbian and maemo are now open source.. where can I get the sources of that wonderful N95 calendar, so I can port that.

Failing that.. where can I find the mCalendar app ? Can't seem to locate it on maemo.org or in the download manager.

TimT.

The Following User Says Thank You to timt1961 For This Useful Post:
My favorite calendar is the one on the Treo 650 (DateBook5 IIRC). It actually had a date selection interface that looked quite similar to the kinetic scrolling lists on the N900....but what made it better was the better agenda view, year view, ability to set events with a date but no time, more granular alarm timing, and integration with a better to-do (PIM tasks) application. Maemo 5's calendar is decent but definitely not as good and it has a few bugs.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
My favorite calendar is the one on the Treo 650 (DateBook5 IIRC).
I switched from using 15 years Palm devices and even the original palm calendar was better - You could actually see a full week. The Maemo calendar is totally unusably. Symbian is not much better, as it seems that no "business" mobile even allows to view all events of a week.
Datebook5 or 6 have been good, I always preferred Agendus despite the bugs. The views (which are extremely important!) and the correlation of adress/contact with event was just perfect.
I really wish that someone could port one of the real calendar applications to Maemo. Unfortunately more people port games than a useful app - the email apps are horrible, too. GPE does not sync with anything else than google (which is not acceptable for business use), no syncML not active sync and the views are not much better...

It is a shame that my old Centro has a better calendar and email app than Maemo. I bought a centro for 100 EURs, don't ask what the N900 cost me (and I still use the centro...).

Is it so difficult to build a nice small calendar application? Anyone out there? I don't even want it for free...

The Following User Says Thank You to gumpyjones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
you can go to Symbian's website and contact them, full source is available via ftp when requested

Originally Posted by timt1961 View Post
Completely agree. This calendar app. is no match for the standard symbian calendar.

I'd like to nominate the date time input as an additional example of wrong implementation. While it makes sense as a touch screen input design, this phone has a keyboard. I should be able to type the date and time of an appointment, at the very least.

Given that both symbian and maemo are now open source.. where can I get the sources of that wonderful N95 calendar, so I can port that.

Failing that.. where can I find the mCalendar app ? Can't seem to locate it on maemo.org or in the download manager.

TimT.

For the moment I use GPE calendar, it's ok, but I'm still waiting for something more polished (I used a treo680 before and loved the calendar of it). The widget is'nt customisable enough, often disapear, but the main problem I have is to enter the time of an appointment. It's not working with the keyboard and I have to use the stylus on small arrows, a real pain.
But for teh moment it's usable and I like the views.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Originally Posted by gumpyjones View Post

Is it so difficult to build a nice small calendar application? Anyone out there? I don't even want it for free...
Unfortunately, yes, it's quite difficult to build a nice small calendar app. Other posts in this thread have nicely summarized the essentials. I've thought about writing one but just don't have the time.

My current solution is to run DateBook6 under the Garnet VM Palm simulator. That's less than perfect; there's no desktop widget, sometimes a new entry shows up on every day until you exit and reenter the app, and for some reason my TravelTracker trips don't get entered into the calendar. And getting it to synchronize with a desktop app (I used to use Pimlical) is truly painful. But it's the best choice I have right now.

Maybe if the rumored Android emulator ever comes live, we can run an Android app. Or maybe I should just break down, get an Android, and root the dang thing.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by timt1961 View Post
And the "symbian calendar" is no match for the Epoc calendar (Agenda)

Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
Unfortunately, yes, it's quite difficult to build a nice small calendar app.
It shouldn't be too difficult. Psion managed to fit a whole multitasking OS with decent full featured apps into 1MB and 2MB roms in their Series 3 machines.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
It shouldn't be too difficult. Psion managed to fit a whole multitasking OS with decent full featured apps into 1MB and 2MB roms in their Series 3 machines.
The size of the object code has little relationship to the amount of work involved in writing the code. If it were easy, GPE calendar would be usable, or the Maemo calendar itself would be good. Or somebody else would have jumped in and written one (hint).