Hello everyone!

I have browsed the net and this board for the last two evenings with no success. I have owned and played with the N900 for more than a year now.

My N900 is not able to connect via USB in mass storage mode to either linux nor WinXP PC. When connecting the USB cable (tried 2 different) the same action as when charging on a wall charger happens, so no popup to choose the mass storage mode or PC suite.

I can access the internal memory as well as the mmc1 from FileBox.

I have recently installed CSSU3.1stable as well as the ke-recv from the testing for enabling the USB host mode (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85658). I am not completely sure if that was the exact moment when the problem begun. I noticed there was a lot of discussion about ke-recv in April in connection with the accessability of the internal memory. for that reason I tried a bit and installed different Versions of ke-recv 3.14 and 3.19-15.2 as the last. Nothing helped, but as far as I understood the problem was with access from the device itself.

One could argue the USB port is physically broken, but when connecting to a Windows PC, two removable devices appear, but empty like an empty sd card slot. In linux under /dev sdb and sdc appear when connecting, but are not mounted.

When running cat /proc/driver/musb_hdrc it says "OTG state: b_peripheral; active". Wen USB is disconnected "OTG state: b_idle; inactive".
dmesg says after connecting USB cable:
[20556.997009] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0xd0/208; link 2
[20557.777832] musb_hdrc periph: enabled ep1in for bulk IN, maxpacket 512
[20557.777862] musb_hdrc periph: enabled ep1out for bulk OUT, maxpacket 512
[20557.777923] g_file_storage gadget: high speed config #1

So it does not seem completely broken. I would rather not like to reflash the N900 since the re-setup process would be tedious.

I tried also some scripts under /usr/sbin such as osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh, no help.

It would be very kind if someone with a better knowledge of the N900 could help out. I am not a professional in linux but have medium knowledge, so I can attach logfiles etc if it is helpful for further diagnosis.

Thank you,
Enrico

Hello everybody,

I updated the CSSU to 4.1T, no success.
I remember doing "passwd user" a couple of weeks ago to be able to login over ssh as user. Could this be part of the problem?

It seems to me, the memory cannot be unmounted on the device upon USB connection, since mount | grep MyDocs delivers "/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /home/user/MyDocs type vfat (rw,noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,ut f8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0000, rodir)", while connected via USB. But "lsof +d /home/user/MyDocs/" delivers nothing.

The notebooks dmesg says upon connect:
[ 5787.588060] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
[ 5787.722565] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
[ 5787.725774] scsi12 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[ 5787.734386] usb-storage: device found at 10
[ 5787.734390] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 5792.732557] usb-storage: device scan complete
[ 5792.733340] scsi 12:0:0:0: Direct-Access Nokia N900 031 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 5792.733870] scsi 12:0:0:1: Direct-Access Nokia N900 031 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 5792.734987] sd 12:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[ 5792.735176] sd 12:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 5792.754855] sd 12:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 5792.765222] sd 12:0:0:1: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

My question is, how is the unmounting of the internal memory (as well as mmc1) upon USB connection handled? Any ideas what would be diagnostic steps to approach the problem?

Your help is very much apprecciated.
Thank you,
Enrico

Hi,

does nobody have any hint whatsoever?
How is the USB-connect-popup triggered and where can it be triggered manually? I assume it still exists in the CSSU(t).

Enrico

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
is your usb port is working fine ? Is your usb cable is lose ?

EnricoL, hate to say that, but I would suggest doing fuil backupmenu backup, and then, clean reflash. If it works after reflash, You know that it's something in Your software. If it still fails, You can be sure that something is screwed hardware-wise.

In case it's hardware problem, You can always restore backupmenu backup, saving You from (needlessly) reinstalling everything. Of course, it it turns out to be software issue, it's worth installing everything from scratch (one program at time), as it's extremely hard to say what could result in such strange problem.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I've had lots of bad luck with USB cables so I would double check both of them

@independent:The cables are out of question, work on Android.

@Estel: Reinstalling is my very last option since everything else works fine. I was hoping to get to know the device a bit better by trying to find this fault.

I even can mount a USB flash drive using USB mode 1.0-2, so I do not think the connector is faulty either.

Could someone shed some light on how the flow of action upon USB connect is?
1.Somehow it is sensed if is a charger or data cable.-->This is not the problem with my device, since in /proc/driver/musb_hdrc both cahrger and datacable are recognized as such.
2.The popup is triggered, but not in my device. Can it be invoked manually?
3. The Popup button starts something, depending on selection. Are these by any chance the scripts under /usr/sbin such as osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh?

Can this whole process be gone through manually?

So if anybody knows some part of the puzzle, please dont hesitate to add it.

Thank you,
Enrico

The Following User Says Thank You to EnricoL For This Useful Post:
osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh is exactly the script You need to use, for "exporting" things into mass storage, manually. Check my signature and TrueCrypt thread - there is instruction, how to use this script (with given parameter) to export other partition into mass storage, instead of MyDocs (in case of mentioned instructions, it was about exporting - transparently for desktop - encrypted partition from n900 to desktop, where n900 does all decrypting work, creating de facto encrypted pendrive funcionality - but, it shouldn't matter for Your case).

I absolutely understand Your will to learn and fix it Yourself - personally, I never did reflash, fighting with (even most irritating and troublesome) problems manually, always managing to solve them, somehow (wouldn't be possible without help of wonderful people, here).

I've suggested backup and reflash, only because it's extremely hard to tell why Your device is in such state. If You can usb hostmode, it's definitely not hardware problem, so something - program or manual tweak - pushed device into such random state. Usually, owner know - even slightly - what might be responsible, so it's easier to pin out the problem.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-19 at 16:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Ok, it's getting exciting.

@Estel: Thanks for your post. Very likely the cause for this was something I installed recently and as it is related to the same hardware, USB mode 1.0-2 comes to my mind, but I am not 100% sure.

/usr/sbin/osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh /dev/mmcblk1p1 works, the SD card pops up on the computer. Same for the internal memory.
Means I was using the script in a wrong way earlier without handing over the dev.

So it is very likely, that only the popup which starts the exporting process is faulty or just is not triggered. So #3 from my last post is solved. The N900 can be used as mass storage, when triggered manually.

Any hints what makes the PopUp fly to solve #1 & #2?

Thanks a lot,
Enrico

No idea, but IIRC, osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh provided without arguments, should just export MyDocs and SD card (as mass storage), i.e. act like pressing of "mass storage" button.

In your case, it require You to explicitly define what to export, so it may be more than "just no popup" problem. What it may be, I have no clue.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-