Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
The iPhone is Time magazine's number one entry in its Top 10 Gadgets list (50 Top 10 lists of 2007 too).

Me, I prefer the Nokia Internet Tablet, but the iPhone is an understandable first choice.*

Neither the Nokia N810 (almost, sorta, but not really released) and the N800 (a big surprise way back in January!) merited a place on the list.

I've said it before: With Skype cam calls, the internet tablet is a mind-blowing culture-changing device. (It would easily supplant the cordless Skype phone that's number three on this list.) Think about it: walkaround visuals on a voip call. Not tethered to a computer, not paying exorbitant fees, not having to type a la IM, incredible display not a tiny phone screen, not restricted to just what the vendor will let you do. Like I said, mind-blowing.

Until then, it's all potential, no paradigm-shift.

Knock, knock! eBay, Nokia, anybody there? What's holding you up? Light the fuse, please.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
only the iphone and the sony camcorder are worth on the list. The rest is crap. And what was that samsung? Never heard of that. Is that an n800 killer?

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
And what was that samsung? Never heard of that. Is that an n800 killer?
Well, given this quote:

(You'll have to download what's called a firmware upgrade from the Samsung website, but don't worry, it's not as difficult as it sounds.)
I suspect it is aimed at a slightly less technically savvy demographic.

You better believe that back in some hidden Cupertino bunker they are polishing up a Video iPhone with flawless, idiot-proof connection, multi-conferencing, and stuff we haven't imagined yet. And bet it will be out by (if not before) next Xmas.

Meanwhile, Nokia, (THE name in cell phone communications) cripples IT bluetooth headset functions, and tacks on a pinhole camera with zilch support.

So much potential ignored...I swear, it's like the ole Amiga days all over again...

Last edited by lad; 2007-12-13 at 19:43.

Wow... that was quite a shocking top 10 list. I agree with having the iphone as number one and do agree that possibly two of the other items should be there but seriously. It just concerned itself with gadgets that were evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary like the n8x0s were. This just leads me to believe it was a cookie-cutter style article listing one creative gadget and nine other gadgets lumped in by order of which maker paid most. Its an attempt to make the other nine look good by association, and just in time for the holiday season too!

...alright, i've reached my quota of hating for the day.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lad View Post
Meanwhile, Nokia, (THE name in cell phone communications) cripples IT bluetooth headset functions, and tacks on a pinhole camera with zilch support.
You really want to talk about crippled functions in comparing the NITs to the iPhone? Are you sure about that?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California

Of course, Time had to photoshop the buttons on the iPhone on the cover since it is a closed device.
They wouldn't have had to do that with an N810.
Of course, anyone who reads Time expecting to get reliable up-to-date tech info is ******ed.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
only the iphone and the sony camcorder are worth on the list. The rest is crap. And what was that samsung? Never heard of that. Is that an n800 killer?
+1 on that.

I reckon the Nokia Internet tablets would do quite a bit better if they were marketed with the strength Apple puts behind them though.

I can't say how the usability compares as my N800 is still on the way though, but that may be a factor. I can say that one of the reasons why the iPod is so popular is it is very simple and straight forward - the average person likes that.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
who cares? you guys keep your slow internet browsing IT's while they keep their slim blazing fast iphones, who needs skype and voip when you actually have a phone to make calls without an internet connection. iphones are for those people that have a offline social life and don't need to ssh/vnc into their home/office every second they're away from the desk. As for mapping software - by the time you get a lock with the n810 you could have just ask someone for directions. There is life out there, well I guess the closet thing to a social life for most of you is facebook or myspace or WOW - i guess in that case stick to the IT's or wait for flash in the next iphone update.