Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Hey... Would the n900 support qt5?
Please search for N900 at http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/11/21/...n-your-n9n950/ and open a new thread if you are interested in keeping this discussion (kind of off-topic here).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Projects stressing those points have more chances of being accepted. They also will have more chances of being included or mentioned in the Qt 5 launch, if their developers are interested.
Could you elaborate a little bit more on "being included or mentioned in the Qt 5 launch"? I'm interested.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Could you elaborate a little bit more on "being included or mentioned in the Qt 5 launch"? I'm interested.
As I understood it one point of this exercise is to beta test Qt5 by actually writing stuff with it. So I'd guess if we manage to do something noteworthy, undercover issues in it, etc. we'll be credided in the Qt5 release notes or something.

My summer vacation starts in 2.5 weeks and my summer project will be "getting familiar with Qt5"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
So, the only necessary thing for participating here is port some of my existing apps?
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
This is being defined as we speak. The overall idea is:

- Nokia and other companies are working on a minimum set of official demos, examples, guides, tutorials, etc to make sure there is enough good stuff by the Qt 5 launch.

- The list of ongoing activities and their owners will be public,so if you have something to contribute (e.g. a great code example) you can contact the owner of the related activity for integration.

- You will also see what is NOT being worked on at the moment (since we can't do everything), and perhaps you happen to have something to offer there. In that case you will be able to push for an official delivery (if you accomplish the quality standards to be defined) or in any case you will be able to sync with the Qt 5 launch date, having something from your blog, etc.

I'm here also scouting what is going on, and if an ongoing project has the potential to be part of the Qt 5 launch - either as is or polished with the help of professionals (e.g. producing a cool video with you).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
That's awesome, thanks!

We have now 20 submissions accepted.

Full disclosure: I'm not sure whether to choose from the remaining ones or wait for more candidates. Various reasons:

- I left some questions to the candidate but no answer so far.
- In some cases the Nokia Store entry is "not available in your country" and I can't check.
- Unclear Qt experience.
- Not strong focus in the areas where Qt 5 makes a whole difference.ç
- Some projects are based on Python and I have no idea about the status of Python bindings and, in any case, I'm not really enthusiastic about pushing these types of projects at this stage.

What do you think? Candidates accepted or not plus followers of this thread: opinions are welcome.

Hopefully Nokia is interested in improving the platform's security! Putting a security researcher to work on Meego, via this program, would be really worth while (hint hint hint :-). We don't want Meego turning into another Android...

Here's an advisory in Qt from a few days ago. Buffer overflow!
https://secunia.com/advisories/46140/ and here's the commit that fixed it.

Last edited by zx2c4; 2012-06-05 at 22:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to zx2c4 For This Useful Post:
Please search for N900 at http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/11/21/...n-your-n9n950/ and open a new thread if you are interested in keeping this discussion (kind of off-topic here).
Quim, may be not off topic after all. Right now the only capable devices that allow to implement Qt5 apps are N9 and N950. If you read that post in detail, it says that get Qt5 running on N900 may be a bit tricky at least...

Why don't offer a device to the one who get Qt5 (without fremantle widgets support, of course) and dependences properly packed and operative for N900? IMO that's good for your (nokia) next millon strategy.

What do you think? Candidates accepted or not plus followers of this thread: opinions are welcome.
I think it'd be reasonable to wait a few more days, maybe some better candidates show up. If you're unsure, perhaps the community can point you at some people who we think deserve it.

If you feel that the remaining candidates are not worthy of accepting, you could still either choose the least unworthy of them, or you could just allocate the 5 remaining devices to the other activities.

In any case, I tweeted about it and pointed some of my friends to the program. Perhaps some of those people will apply.