Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Estel,
I am pretty sure in my multiboot configuration, /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10-power49 is my kernel image, just like /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07 is my nitdroid kernel image. Remove it, and you can't start your system. Now you say it is a totally different thing. You may be right for a non-multiboot system (then it uses the fiasco image in my opinion), but not in my case.

Please elaborate on this if you can show me I am wrong.
Pali was willing to give me more information about this, I will rephrase what told me:
The kernel is stored in nand memory (/dev/mtd...).
When the device is started, it will boot the kernel from that nand memory.

In case of multiboot:
When you choose another kernel, the multiboot application reads the corresponding kernel image stored in /boot/, flashes it into nand memory and restarts the device. Then the device will boot the new flashed kernel.

It can be flashed from the phone or via USB.

This means that Estel is technically speaking most right

But it also means that in most cases (at least in multiboot), your rootfs backup from backupmenu will be helpfull to reflash your kernel.

It makes my own restore situation also clearer to me:
I did a restore from rootfs (with pk48) on a pk49 phone. After restart I had a good working pk48 situation. Now its clear to me that the restored multiboot config had pk48 as default kernel, so when started it saw it had another version in dev/mtd... and flashed the restored pk48 image. I wrongly assumed it just used /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10-power48.

Thanks for the explanation Pali.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
So basicly, if I understand this all.

If I restore the backup given to me on the this thread with Backupmenu it'll just restore the rootfs and the other one, but it doesn't remove the kernels ( as they are in /boot/ ).

Thanks Ade and Pali for the information !!

Now I have a qeustion about nitdroid, isn't that one under a different location? ( /and/ ) instead of /boot/ ?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
So basicly, if I understand this all.

If I restore the backup given to me on the this thread with Backupmenu it'll just restore the rootfs and the other one, but it doesn't remove the kernels ( as they are in /boot/ ).
Mostly correct. It won't overwrite the kernel, but because it is located in /dev/mtd. /boot does get overwritten, because that it is part of rootfs.This means the kernel from the rootfs backup will be placed in /boot during restore.

Now I have a qeustion about nitdroid, isn't that one under a different location? ( /and/ ) instead of /boot/ ?
Nitdroid requires multiboot. So the part describing multiboot applies. The nitdroid kernel used for flashing is in /boot (just like the other kernel images)
/and/ is the filessystem used by nitdroid itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Mostly correct. It won't overwrite the kernel, but because it is located in /dev/mtd. /boot does get overwritten, because that it is part of rootfs.This means the kernel from the rootfs backup will be placed in /boot during restore.

Nitdroid requires multiboot. So the part describing multiboot applies. The nitdroid kernel used for flashing is in /boot (just like the other kernel images)
/and/ is the filessystem used by nitdroid itself.
Ooooh, okay. Thanks a lot for explaining.

Now this is just great, just backed everything up and restored the backup given to me. Now it's in a boot loop. Just.. just great.

F*CK, I can't even get acces to the backupmenu, it says loading and then shuts off.

Am I doomed?

Last edited by Pondake; 2012-01-11 at 17:16.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
The restored backup is an image of system with multiboot and backupmenu installed ?

If not you have done a serious mistake restoring that image.

If yes it is possible that internal flasher (used by multiboot) has done an uncomplete kernel flash when it has changed kernel after first reboot.
Sometime happens that multiboot fails to flash kernel.

Unfortunately in these cases you need an Usb cable to fix

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-01-11 at 17:56.

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
The restored backup is an image of system with multiboot and backupmenu installed ?

If not you done a serious mistake.

If yes it is possible that internal flasher (used by multiboot) has done an uncomplete kernel flash.
Sometime happens that multiboot fails to flash kernel.

Unfortunately in these cases you need an Usb cable to fix
Dude, they told me that I had to restore the backup and they gave me a link.

Which was this: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/Backu...omplete_image/

And yes I had multiboot, but after that I installed backupmenu and the multiboot was gone but I think the kernels are there.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
And yes I had multiboot, but after that I installed backupmenu and the multiboot was gone but I think the kernels are there.

Multiboot MUST BE present on image you restore and not only on your system that you will overwrite with a restore.

I don't know if the image at proposed link is an image of a system that has multiboot installed (and so copied to rootfs backup).
Since BackupMenu is usually used with BootMenu and not with Multiboot, I suspect that the image proposed is without multiboot.

But only examing backup image (rootfs) we can be sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Multiboot MUST BE present on image you restore and not only on your system that you will overwrite with a restore.

I don't know if the image at proposed link is an image of a system that has multiboot installed (and so copied to rootfs backup).
Since BackupMenu is usually used with BootMenu and not with Multiboot, I suspect that the image proposed is without multiboot.

But only examing backup image (rootfs) we can be sure.
Let us assume it was an image without multiboot, what do I do now?..

Last edited by Pondake; 2012-01-11 at 18:13.

The problem is you restored a full clean backup, without backupmenu and all the stuff installed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eight For This Useful Post: