Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
I just wanted to write a roadmap, but actually the description says "[...] planned for Fremantle [...]". There is no release date known which makes it a bit difficult to estimated which features will realistically be ready for the Fremantle launch. I mean there are many things I would _like_ to have ready, but my time is very limited, so it makes a big difference whether I have one or three month time...

This might look a bit pedantic, but I donīt really like to make promises which I cannot hold. How do you guys (gPodder, OSM2Go,...) are planning to do that?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
added PasswordSafe
I suppose I'll have to write a roadmap one of those days ...

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We are talking about a roadmap of intentions, not about commitments. One way to approach this is to list the features available in Diablo already and the ones you are aiming for say this year, listed by your priority. Signal those implemented already and testers will look for them.

I'd say this is a good way to tell to users and potential contributors what your application does and what improvements do you have in the pipeline.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by conny View Post
This might look a bit pedantic, but I donīt really like to make promises which I cannot hold. How do you guys (gPodder, OSM2Go,...) are planning to do that?
Edited: I have created a subpage on the wiki status page and started to list things that can already be tested and things that are planned / need help: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Stars/gPodder Just in case you want to use it as a basis for your own page.

Last edited by thp; 2009-06-15 at 16:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Edited: I have created a subpage on the wiki status page and started to list things that can already be tested and things that are planned / need help: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Stars/gPodder Just in case you want to use it as a basis for your own page.
This is great! Thanks, Thomas.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
If you play this little game you might get more contributors willing to help in the success of you project, including Nokia and its marketing arm.
I'm just curious, did anyone maintaining a Fremantle Star already received help from Nokia? If yes, what was it?

Also I'm curious what the state of the original Fremantle Stars projects is? Does anyone have screnshots / infos about Fremantle versions of for example:
- Maemo Mapper
- Maemo WordPy
- Vagalume
- Evince
- Xournal
- Maemo Recorder

There many applications which are listed as Fremantle Stars here but have no entry on the new page here. This is not a rant I'm honestly just curious about the state of applications for Fremantle.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by conny View Post
There many applications which are listed as Fremantle Stars here but have no entry on the new page here. This is not a rant I'm honestly just curious about the state of applications for Fremantle.
The selected Fremantle Stars project can be found here:

http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...c4d7b308a308a/

Wiki is not up to date.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Just went through the Fremantle Stars + GPodder to see if they would be good candidates for extras-testing. The result is not very good:

- OMWeather works but with Diablo UI (they are working on the Fremantle UI currently).

- Mauku widget works but the app is missing.

- eCoach, OSM2Go and GPodder have serious bugs that make them unusable (at least for me). Maybe it's just one bug and then the rest works but who knows.

- NumptyPhysics doesn't work at all (?)

- FBreader doesn't install due to the mentioned problem of dependencies.

- liqbase is missing. liqbase-playground doesn't count, really. It's a test bed but nothing you would recommend to normal users.

- Vagalume is missing completely.

It's Summer! Those of you with time available won't regret investing it now.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Star...her_great_apps

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Actually the OSM2Go problem I hit yesterday is now clearer.

There is still another annoying bug (OSM2Go unable to get location info on its own) but you can circunvent this by having the GPS awake by another app.

Therefore OSM2Go seems to be ready for extras-testing. Thanks Till!

PS: I will make a real test later today or tomorrow in the forest behind our house to see if I can add some of the walking paths...

Tags
developers, fremantle