I just received my N900 yesteday here in Ireland and I love it! Its fantastic.

I understand that there are a few bugs that need fixing and I'm sure a FW update or two will iron out the major issues.

1. I would like to add the "phone" icon shortcut to my four desktops...how do I do this? I've tried adding a shortcut but the options dont show the phone icon?

2. In the Internet station in the media player, there are 48 preloaded stations, which are fantastic by the way. is it possible to add my own? If so, how do i go about this, and what sites online could I check out to find music to add to the station list?

3. I've both PC suite and Ovi suite installed on my desktop computer, and would like to be able to use them to send text msgs when I'm there. However, both programs don't seem to work with the N900. Anyone have this problem as well?

4. Whats the easier/best way to transfer music and photos' from my computer onto my N900?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions as best they can!

Carlo

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
The last one of those is the easiest. Using a computer with pc suite on (for the drivers), connect up the n900 and choose 'mass storage mode' from its screen. Then simply open it up in explorer as a visible drive, and copy/paste music, video and photos back and forth.

As for internet stations, yes - you can add any you want as long as you know the relevent URL. I have Test Match Special in there.

Can't answer about the phone icon - I have a suspicion you can only have an icon once across all four screens - that's certainly true of other applications and widgets. And I've never sent texts from the computer, so you'll have to wait for someone else for that.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by chicoelnino View Post
1. I would like to add the "phone" icon shortcut to my four desktops...how do I do this? I've tried adding a shortcut but the options dont show the phone icon?

2. In the Internet station in the media player, there are 48 preloaded stations, which are fantastic by the way. is it possible to add my own? If so, how do i go about this, and what sites online could I check out to find music to add to the station list?

3. I've both PC suite and Ovi suite installed on my desktop computer, and would like to be able to use them to send text msgs when I'm there. However, both programs don't seem to work with the N900. Anyone have this problem as well?

4. Whats the easier/best way to transfer music and photos' from my computer onto my N900?
1. If something doesn't show up in "Add Shortcut" or "Add Widget", I've found that it already exists on your desktop somewhere.

2. If you click "Internet radio stations" at the top there is an option to "Add radio bookmark."

3. I had to download the PC Suite from the European server (I'm in the US) because the US version doesn't support the n900. The Ovi suite doesn't support it at all. My guess is Nokia hasn't built full functionality into either yet.

4. Easiest way is to USB cable and click "Mass storage mode" then drag and drop your files.

I didn't know you couldn't add more then one shortcut on any desktops. That's very annoying.

But it's possible to add multiple one, but it's not for the faint of heart. It require access to the "guts" of the desktop so it's not really recommended for inexperienced folks.

If you just need quick access to the phone. Just hold the power button down, and on the popup you will see the phone app.

Cool, thanks for the advice so far. Anyone got any internet stations where I could browse and see if id like to add the URL to my list on the N900?

can't get the three main repos set up in app manager. Only maemo extras seems to update. I want to be abl to install pixelpipe app but its not in the extras catalogue?

I filed a bug for this a long time ago, it is rather annoying I agree. Vote it up:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5371

Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
But it's possible to add multiple one, but it's not for the faint of heart. It require access to the "guts" of the desktop so it's not really recommended for inexperienced folks.
You all say that but how are "inexperianced" people supposed to get experianced if the experianced people bash them off with stuff like that?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
For internet radio station directories search for shoutcast directory and if you have ogg support I guess icecast directory should work as well.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils