Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Mine gets real warm if I use LCD at max brightness for long. Also, it gets real warm when I use my N900 in adhoc wifi mode. (and battery drops like 10% every 5 minutes during adhoc) This was with PR 1.1.1 btw. I haven't tried it with leaked PR 1.2 fw yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Yeah, not normal... I know there have been some reports that plugging the phone in to a computer via USB can cause it to cycle the CPU rather high. If you're doing that, stop it!

I also know there have been a couple apps that when installed can cause other apps or system components to run heavy CPU. Have you been seeing short battery life as well? If so, that may be whats getting you.

Check out the app manager for "Load Applet", which shows the CPU use in the top bar. If that shows activity, top or Conky can show you what the culprit process is. Based on that info we may be able to better diagnose whats going on. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply

I misunderstood what the other guy was saying about monitoring the CPU. Yeah, I have that app. Nothing seems abnormal. I rarely ever download from -devel. The battery life is less than what it used to be, but it is not too short.

But DEFINITELY about the PC thing. I for sure have that bug. I have put my entire phone in the fridge once after tethering for like .5 hours lol I put the battery on my cheek and needed to remove it very quickly. Is this bug getting fixed?

Last edited by thefoxtrot; 2010-05-04 at 02:57.

Originally Posted by maguitodelrock View Post
When i had my N900 i really sense when a call is placed (incoming/outgoing) the phone reallly increases temperature, that i felt my ear really hot and i got to change ear... The calls was like 1 hour (talking with gf :P) and was really strange... Now i got my N900 stolen and im gonna test with a new N900 that im gonna buy if the same happens
Ah, thank you. Someone who shares my issue. Yes, today I was talking to my gf for about an hour. It was >9000 degrees and I take out the battery, then it cools off. Then I browse the Internet. Gets hot again. Not as much as when calling, but enough for me to completely stop using it for a while, while charging.

Can I just chalk the problem up to heavy usage? I didn't think I was using the phone that harshly, but Idk.

To clarify the issue, I talk for about 30 mins to an hour. GPRS. Then browse and charge. Mix these actions up a bit and you've got my day today.

Is this just heavy usage? I am hoping that the heat is normal for this usage.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
Originally Posted by thefoxtrot View Post
To clarify the issue, I talk for about 30 mins to an hour. GPRS. Then browse and charge. Mix these actions up a bit and you've got my day today.

Is this just heavy usage? I am hoping that the heat is normal for this usage.
Where u live? Hows is the climate in your place?

Last edited by maguitodelrock; 2010-05-04 at 03:10. Reason: Edit: add ? at final

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by thefoxtrot View Post
Thanks for the reply
But DEFINITELY about the PC thing. I for sure have that bug. I have put my entire phone in the fridge once after tethering for like .5 hours lol I put the battery on my cheek and needed to remove it very quickly. Is this bug getting fixed?
Yes? Supposedly it's in a future release, and may or may not be in PR1.2 according to the bug in the tracker. (Not everything had been marked for 1.2 yet last I looked.)

One thing I hate to suggest, but another possibility is that if you let it run that hot once before you may have damaged the battery. Once a battery passes a certain heat level it can change chemically. The result may be that it's generating heat quicker now than normal, accelerating it's own demise. Can you tell if it's the battery or the system doing it? They're so close together it may not be possible by touch to tell...

One thing you may want to try is to load up titan's overclock kernel, not for the over clock, but for other features. (The default is to use Nokia's standard clock settings, so despite it being an "overclock kernel", it doesn't overclock until you tell it to.) With the new kernel/moduels you can ask the battery for it's temperature separately and monitor it with a script pretty easily. You can also lower the voltage used, even for the standard frequencies, which should run the whole system cooler in any case.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I am in my house. The climate is around 80 degrees. Not humid. Kinda windy.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
I crashed mine once doing cat /proc/mem
After it rebootet itself it went nuts and virtually burned a hole in my pocket until I switched it off and restarted again.

So it tends to get hot when CPU is at 99% all the time. Maybe something with an installed app. "top" or all the GUI tools mentioned above will be your friend

The Following User Says Thank You to Renkon For This Useful Post:
Thanks everyone.
@ woody14619: It is definitely the battery. I can tell.

I will try. I am going to change out batteries and see if there is a noticeable differnece.

@Renkon: My CPU isn't that high. I am guessing it is the battery. Seems like the main culprit here.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Mine gets extremely hot if I connect my computer via my N900, using the cable and Nokia PC Suite. Also, if I listen to web radio and browse around at the same time, it gets hot after a while.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post: