Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Hello everyone,

So I was thinking about how to make the N900 user experience even easier while multitasking. Would it be possible to create a keyboard shortcut that will allow the user to switch between running applications?

For example, you have these applications running in the dashboard:
1) Web browser
2) Conversations
3) File manager

When clicking CTRL+1 it would go to Web browser.
CTRL+2 Conversations etc
This shortcut is just an example.

Let me know what you think so I can create a brainstorm.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-12 at 00:58. Reason: Title Change

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lacedaemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Hello everyone,

So I was thinking about how to make the N900 user experience even easier while multitasking. Would it be possible to create a keyboard shortcut that will allow the user to switch between running applications?

Let me know what you think so we can create a brainstorm.
So you're looking to get task switching down to a single click action?

Is this really that much easier then the current methods such as camkeyd, CTRL-backspace, etc which allow a two click method.

An added bonus is that the two click method brings you first to the iconified running app display, allowing users to pick visually which app to switch to. This would seem more user friendly then remembering which key combination goes to which running app.

Well yeah. I am using camkeyd and it's really nice.
But, if you know in which dashboard window each application is, you can navigate to it by one click.

So if you have two web pages on, it's easier to just do one click like in desktop computers.
The thing is that I am not sure if it's possible for the device to do such process with a single click.

Please see here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38314

Currently in the situation you describe you need to press ctrl-backspace and then q to switch to the first application, w to the second and so on.

Single press to switch is not as easy, since there are no free keys (or even key combinations) there is no 1 key, and ctrl-q (for example) is already used by many applications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
What about CTRL + Volume rocker?
Would that be possible?

i agree with cddeide.

n900 offers the best visual way of switching between apps. press ctrl+backspace that will switch to dashboard and u can select ur app.

ctrl+backspace is creating alt+tab like situation but instead of keep clicking on tab to move forward, touchscreen enables us to directly choose the app.

I think alt-tab behaviour would be really nice, to be able to switch between two last apps. If you have many windows open, it is not that quick even if you see them visually.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pillar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
What about CTRL + Volume rocker?
Would that be possible?
What do you want this combination to do? It is possible to add it as a configurable short cut key combination.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Isn't it necessary for a moderator to jump in at this point and remind the OP that he can't make a suggestion without registering the suggestion elsewhere, and a couple of people will thank the moderator for correcting the dumb user who posted here without going thru the official procedure?

That's what happened when I posted my suggestion in Brainstorm about a week ago.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
What do you want this combination to do? It is possible to add it as a configurable short cut key combination.
Switch back and forth running applications.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Isn't it necessary for a moderator to jump in at this point and remind the OP that he can't make a suggestion without registering the suggestion elsewhere, and a couple of people will thank the moderator for correcting the dumb user who posted here without going thru the official procedure?

That's what happened when I posted my suggestion in Brainstorm about a week ago.
If people are not interested in this feature then why create a brainstorm suggestion?
The purpose of this thread was to see if you are interested. If yes a brainstorm would be created and linked back here.
If this way is wrong, then I apologize.

Last edited by Lacedaemon; 2010-01-09 at 21:48.