Is it possible to mod the n900 so the volume keys can be used to change the volume even when the screen is locked and use the camera button to change tracks?

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
there is a shake control app in extra-testing that uses the accelerometer.

not tried it myself but it may be similar to the kind of thing you are after. I have used shake control on a Sony Ericsson - takes a bit of getting used to but it is functional.

Yeah heard about that, the problem is that I'd like to do it while its in my pocket especially when I am on my bike, I've seen mods for the camera button in the repository so it cant be that hard to modify it for other functions.

I'd like this too. Before the update, you used to be able to press the power button to bring up the 'Swipe to unlock' screen, and then change the volume then. Doesn't seem to work anymore though.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by Midget010 View Post
I'd like this too. Before the update, you used to be able to press the power button to bring up the 'Swipe to unlock' screen, and then change the volume then. Doesn't seem to work anymore though.

Volume Keys Mod

Doing this will restore the old behaviour, with the exception that you can't actually see the volume slider on the screen anymore (when it is showing the "slide to unlock" screen, that is). The buttons will have no effect when the screen is off.

- backup files!!

- extract file in zip (volume_status_menu_item.so) to:

/usr/lib/hildon-desktop/

stolen from qwerty12 (thanks )

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=474849&postcount=5
Attached Files
File Type: zip volume keys.zip (12.1 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-01-24 at 14:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
Volume Keys Mod

Doing this will restore the old behaviour, with the exception that you can't actually see the volume slider on the screen anymore (when it is showing the "slide to unlock" screen, that is). The buttons will have no effect when the screen is off.

- backup files!!

- extract file in zip (volume_status_menu_item.so) to:

/usr/lib/hildon-desktop/
As stolen from here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=474849&postcount=5

since nobody answers in my thread and this is kind of similiar to my problem:

Hello,

i updated my firmware and found out that the behaviour with bluetooth remotes/headsets and real wired headphones had changed.

Before the update i could listen to my music over wired headphones and could use my jabra bt3030 to switch tracks.
Now after the update everytime i switch to the next song the sound comes for a csecond out of the wired headphones but then gets redirected to the bluetooth headset. This is really annoying because the playback over bluetooth is a bit crappy even with no wlan turned on.

The other change which i think is an improvement is that you can now use the bluetooth remote when you're using the fm transmitter. This didn't work before the update but isn't worth the loss of my wired headphones + remote control feature.

If youknow what i mean and perhaps even a way to change this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrckMc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
Before the update i could listen to my music over wired headphones and could use my jabra bt3030 to switch tracks.
I don't this was every an expected combination. I think they've probably got it right *for most people*, as I would certainly want this behaviour. Let me sketch the scene:
  1. Sitting at my desk at work, listening to Spotify streaming over 3G. I'm wearing a set of cabled Sennheiser headphones plugged into the N900 that are obviously music headphones, not a VOIP/mobile setup. This makes it obvious to my colleagues that I am listening to music, and not listening to a conference call.
  2. I also have my Bluetooth headset (Nokia BH-214) paired and active with the N900. It's laying on my desk, blue LED bliniking periodically.
  3. A personal phone call comes in, one that I don't care to discuss next to my immediate colleagues.
  4. I pull off the headphones, pop one earphone of the bluetooth headset into place, and then tap the "Answer call" button. Presto, I am now on bluetooth.
  5. I can now either wander around the floor at work using the bluetooth's 10 meter range so that my colleagues only hear parts of the conversation. Or I can unplug the headphones, stick the phone in my pocket, and walk to the nearest conference room.

So I really do think they've chose the right solution *for the general case*. I am afraid I can't think of a trick to get it working the way you want, but perhaps by monitoring DBUS messages and taking a look at the source code for headphoned you might be able to come up with a solution.

There might be a lower effort solution, at a non-zero cost. I suspect the reason you don't like the sound of your Jabra bluetooth is that it is using "headset" prototocol, rather than the higher fidelity A2DP. I am quite happy listening to music on the BH-214 I mentioned above, and the BH-103 is praised by a friend and is a low cost way to test A2DP.

P.S. Thanks much for mentioning this specific behaviour. I'll find it useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Maybe you can be interested in this Brainsorm:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...he_camera_key/

Thanks Alan but my headset uses a2dp (i think every stereo headset should) but when i have it under my jacket and the phone is in my trousers pocket i get strange noises and a not so nice quality.

How hard can it be for a maemo employee (who should roam this forum) to get the info for my problem i mean they changed it so they have to know what they did