Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Hi mate,

sucks that you've had a bad experience. I'd have been inclined to send the little red one back and ask for a replacement.
fresh install of the OS seems to fix issues for some but i guess what some people can live with, can be a deal breaker for others.
the biggest problem is that some of the issues reported so far seem to be random in nature, both with regard to occurance and scenario.

I'm not sure how backwards compatibility with side loaded apps is going with the Q10/Alpha C.

i know repackaged BAR file for skype (Q10 build) is working ok on the Z10 and is just letterboxed. I'd assume the screen size rendering might cause problems on the smaller 3.1" screen with repackaged APK files going the other way.

Seems most apps for the Z10 will be available for the Q10 (if not already listed in BB World) on release.

It's the waiting that sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Hi mate,

sucks that you've had a bad experience. I'd have been inclined to send the little red one back and ask for a replacement.
fresh install of the OS seems to fix issues for some but i guess what some people can live with, can be a deal breaker for others.
the biggest problem is that some of the issues reported so far seem to be random in nature, both with regard to occurance and scenario.

I'm not sure how backwards compatibility with side loaded apps is going with the Q10/Alpha C.

i know repackaged BAR file for skype (Q10 build) is working ok on the Z10 and is just letterboxed. I'd assume the screen size rendering might cause problems on the smaller 3.1" screen with repackaged APK files going the other way.

Seems most apps for the Z10 will be available for the Q10 (if not already listed in BB World) on release.

It's the waiting that sucks.
Don't have the Skype. Bar file do you??

The Following User Says Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
The Z10 was my daily driver for two weeks under unusally heavy use, as I am a phone fanatic. My Z10 was from T-Mobile and came with latest firmware, so I never had the poor battery life that earlier adopters faced. I experienced about one random reboot a week, which I didn't consider a deal breaker, though I did take note.

There were no issues with connectivity, in fact, it was excellent. Far superior to the N9 in voice quality, wifi connectivity, data connection due to 4G LTE, and it dropped no calls (but neither does my N9 really).

Performance wise, the Z10 was very snappy and the mobile browser is the fastest I've used, though iOS is close. Sideloaded apps that I tried worked fine and had all features intact, like Netflix, Instagram, etc. Sometimes scrolling is slightly (slightly!) slower because they're Gingerbread apps, but the experience is not far off at all for the ported apps I tried. Tech media usually sensationalizes the 'absence' of these apps on the Z10 and the 'problem' of ported apps way too much given my experience. The app gap is more felt in advanced social media apps available on the majors, top games (I hear), and advanced utilities, like advanced browsers, etc. that may be delayed until BB10 gets the Android 4.1 compatibility update later this year.

One concern I had was that the Z10 can run very hot at times, usually when using the ported apps. Sometimes it seems to be a rogue process. Nobody wants a phone that may have heat-related longevity issues . . . Also, BB10 needs to add APIs that will allow apps to run in the background, it needs a swype-style keyboard option, and in-house programmers to put together a shyte-load of small tweaks unless they intend to open up the OS enough to allow others to tweak it (as they should).

App wise, Skype is a biggie for me, and now that it's around the corner, the Z10 may once again become my daily driver. The 4.1 Android update will be huge for the BB10 crowd, too, though that may not be part of the upcoming upgrade to BB 10.1. But some near-term enhancement to the Android compatibility is probably on the way, given the previewed Skype capabilities.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Probably my next phone, but only (very soon) after my 1st Sailfish phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Don't have the Skype. Bar file do you??
LOL.
Not worth my blackberry developer sign in

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
LOL.
Not worth my blackberry developer sign in
No worries dude

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Hi All users of blackberry Z10.

Did you get your 10.1 update? How is the experience after that?

I am looking to buy this phone as my N9 is dead now.

Can this be used as your regular phone after the update or is it still a beta device?

A quick and detail explantaion of issues still remaing after update will be good as I will try to purchase it today and and its not cheap here.. about 820 dollars.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to kumary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
I am wondering who is using or developing on this bb10 platform ? using GNU/Linux ?

If it maters I did create a short tutorial on how to mount and share files with it :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...erry10general# Tutorial HowTo mount #bb10 dev on #GnuLinux (plz +1)

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by kumary View Post
Hi All users of blackberry Z10.

Did you get your 10.1 update? How is the experience after that?

I am looking to buy this phone as my N9 is dead now.

Can this be used as your regular phone after the update or is it still a beta device?

A quick and detail explantaion of issues still remaing after update will be good as I will try to purchase it today and and its not cheap here.. about 820 dollars.

Cheers
I'm using the 10.2 beta with some tweaks - it gets better and better, for instance the beta has a newer Android 4.2.2 runtime. While the experience feels like a downgrade if you come from N9, it is a good phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'm using the 10.2 beta with some tweaks - it gets better and better, for instance the beta has a newer Android 4.2.2 runtime. While the experience feels like a downgrade if you come from N9, it is a good phone.
Appreciate your response.

I bought the phone and as you said the experience feels like a downgrade and I cried for it. More confused now why Nokia killed MeeGo... sad I can't buy another N9 again.

I miss these forums and TMO. Crackberry is a mess or may be I should spend more time to understand it.

Is Z10 is tweakable? I heard it's a close OS and we can't change it much or may be I need to learn a lot about it.

Looking forward for your response.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to kumary For This Useful Post:

Tags
bb 10, blackberry