Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
Damn, no one told me this doesn't work... I was happier when I was blissfully ignorant.

I've been reading Internet Tablet Talk from my N810 as I walk the datacenter babysitting servers, blogging direct to Lathe of Dreams using ssh, scp, and web, and managing 156 servers using "ssh -C -X -D3000 user@server" all from this one single Nokia N810.

And *now* you tell me it doesn't work?

Just this week, I dumped DD-WRT on a Linksys WTR54GS "pocket router" solely for N8x0 users. Yesterday, I bought a Buffalo WHR-G54S/125 running DD-WRT solely for Nokia N8x0 users. Next week I'm setting up OpenVPN to allow federal Nokia N8x0 users to connect via the new router.

I have *zero* complaints about the Nokia N810. My 8GB MicroSDHC arrives next week, and between the 2GB internal and 8GB external, almost everything I need will either be on my N810 or accessible from it.
It all depends on who you are and what your knowlege level is, and how much you are willing to invest.. For me and you its is the best thing since sliced bread. We can shutdown an entire Data Center with a 770, or N8X0, this power in your pockect is mind blowing. Being able to do that from anywhere, well mostly anywhere you go, without having to run home or worse be tethered to the house because your on-call. This makes this device priceless to many sysadmins I am sure.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
It all depends on who you are and what your knowlege level is, and how much you are willing to invest.. For me and you its is the best thing since sliced bread. We can shutdown an entire Data Center with a 770, or N8X0, this power in your pockect is mind blowing. Being able to do that from anywhere, well mostly anywhere you go, without having to run home or worse be tethered to the house because your on-call. This makes this device priceless to many sysadmins I am sure.
Well said, Penguinbait.

I know of several sysadmins for the Federal Judiciary who swear by their Nokia Internet Tablets. We're running N800 and N810 for solely that reason. Having Linux in your pocket with a WiFi connection and BT tether to a data-capable phone is an incredibly powerful thing. In the 90 minutes it takes me to get to work, I've patched 40 servers, checked my email, read the server logs, and debugged a flaky java servlet for a developer.

There are over 30 systems administrators in my group, and I'm friends with another 20. Everyone who has seen my N800 (and now my N810) has wanted one too. Our Division Chief saw me managing a few production servers while we were in a meeting, he asked "it's like an iPhone, but better?! Are you managing our servers from there?"

Yes sir, I am.

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Once you can not put it in your pocket, does it really matter how big your laptop bag is?
I'm 90% with the two of you on this.

As I said in another thread, if I wanted a laptop, I'd get a laptop. Clearly I don't, or I wouldn't have bought a NIT.

Where I would put that 10% of not agreeing is that I could see buying an UMPC instead of a MID (ie. something bigger than a pocket, but not in the shape of a laptop). I had considered the pepperpad for example. But, ultimately, the Nokia line looked to have the best combination of vendor backing, community support, and features. And, plus, I did want something I could put in a protective case and still fit in my jacket pocket.

But, there's no way in which the Eee ever crossed my mind as a contender for my money.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
An eee, why not just buy a real laptop, I just bought my son a dual core processor, 1GB RAM 160GB HD, dvd/cd burner with a big screen for 600$ US Dollars

If I am going as big as an E, It just seems why not get a real laptop, especially since your screen is the same resolutions as the tablet.

Once you can not put it in your pocket, does it really matter how big your laptop bag is?

Anyway, I am not defending anything, or wishing you would not leave, but an EEE really?
show me any other laptop the size and weight and battery life of the eee thats not over $399 and I'll buy it. it's like saying why buy an n810 when you can buy a oqo model 2 (and yes you can put any flavor of Linux on it) - get my point.

http://www.oqo.com/

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-07 at 02:03.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
show me any other laptop the size and weight of the eee thats not over $399 and I'll buy it. why buy an n810 when you can buy a oqo model 2 - get my point.

http://www.oqo.com/
No, actually I do not? Its also apparent you do not get mine.

I do not own an N810 nor did I tell anyone to buy one?

If I am buying a laptop, I am not buying an EEE, I would buy a powerfull big screen laptop for 600$. If I want something to fit in my pocket, then I will consider things that go in my pocket.

Is that confusing? I would HAPPILY pay 200$ more for dual core 1GB dvd burner, compared to EEE. If EEE was like 200$ I would buy three of them for my younger kids, but otherwise its useless to me.

No, actually I do not? Its also apparent you do not get mine.

I do not own an N810 nor did I tell anyone to buy one?

If I am buying a laptop, I am not buying an EEE, I would buy a powerfull big screen laptop for 600$. If I want something to fit in my pocket, then I will consider things that go in my pocket.

Is that confusing? I would HAPPILY pay 200$ more for dual core 1GB dvd burner, compared to EEE. If EEE was like 200$ I would buy three of them for my younger kids, but otherwise its useless to me.
If only it were so black and white as to choose between a laptop or an IT. I'm one of those people that looked for a full linux distro in a 2 pound factor - and cheaper than one of the $1000 UMPCs.

I ended up not getting a EeePC, rather a PepperPad. The deciding factor wasn't size. It was 1) weight and 2) what I could do with it - ie. have a full document processing solution that at the moment includes OO.o and a translation memory suite written in Java. Had the PP not been available I would have looked at an EeePC, because my needs could also have been met by it. Weight is EXTREMELY important to as I spend a lot of time in security lines at airports, regardless of laptop bag size.

I maintain that I use my N800 for browsing while out and about, but it's near impossible to do my work on it. Not to say that a sysadmin can't do his/her job on it, but we're not all sysadmins.

R.
==

Well, the main reason I got the N800 was that the TSA treats your Notebook and Lap Tops like hell. I wanted something I can travel with - check email - answer if I need to and browse from the Hotel WIFI. I see people in the line all the time at the airports - they are required to remove their Note Books and plop them into plastic bins. If it comes out the other side your lucky. I can keep the N800 in my Backpac and place the whole thing in the bin without damage. You have to remember what you are getting small appliances for in the first place. If I could travel with my new Dell Vista system with the 19" LCD then I would BUT - it it not practical. The 800 is worth it's weight in gold. //ji

Did I hear that the Eee doesn't have bluetooth? If so, that's a deal-breaker for mobility. That leaves you limited to hot spots for connectivity and otherwise off-line.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
Did I hear that the Eee doesn't have bluetooth? If so, that's a deal-breaker for mobility. That leaves you limited to hot spots for connectivity and otherwise off-line.
Not to toot the EEE's horn; I don't own one and don't see it likely to happen in the future unless I go on some weird buying tangent. However, There are USB BT modules that are damn small. Like, stick out 1/4" or less (based on pictures I've seen). Yes it uses up a usb port etc etc. But there are 3 on the EEE, how many things are you going to plug up to that thing?

That said the EEE is an awkward size and feature set...

~!M

Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
5$ USB Dongle says hi