Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
this thread is not to criticize the N900 or to tell you guys how much I think it sucks, the N900 and the 3gs are both great devices, so I thought I would make a little comparison because all the "3gs vs n900" reviews ive read are either from apple or nokia fanboys, so heres a fair comparison.

Im not going to say all the obvious differences such as the keyboard and size/weight differences because all that can be viewed from a spec chart. Im going to explain the differences that cant be found just by looking at the spec chart.

basically, I got bored of the N900 so decided to get the iphone 3gs 32gb. Its not because I didnt like the n900, I just like to switch up my phones once in a while.

What advantages the n900 has:

Multitasking. The iphone has an app called "backgrounder" which keeps apps running in the background, but its nowhere near as fast or as cool as the n900. You dont have that multi task screen that shows all the open apps, but it does what it says, so technically, multitasking is possible on the iphone, just not nice as the n900

Screen resolution. At first, I didnt notice much difference, the iphone still displayed everything okay with not sharp edges, but when I opened the game "angry birds" everything was choppy, it looked really bad compared to the N900. The birds had sharp edges because of the pixels and it just wasnt as smooth-looking as the n900, so I miss the high resolution.

Speaker. The speakers on the N900 are a little better, but not that much noticeable difference IMO. The speakers on the iphone are at the bottom and the sound level decreases by a lot if you put your hand over them, whereas in the n900 you can cover both speakers and still here the sound clearly. This can be a bad thing because the way I hold the iphone, my fingers kind of cover the bottom.

3g with tmobile. I dont have an internet plan with tmobile so it doesnt affect me. But this may be the reason for some people to keep the N900.

Advantages of the Iphone:

Faster I put that in bold because I think its very important and was one of the main reasons I switched. Im not talking about faster at browsing or faster in apps, im talking about speed in general. For example, the music player is very quick and I can scroll down the list without any lag. With the n900, it always skipped and got stuck going down a list of about 1500 songs. Also, searching songs on the N900 lagged and froze up sometimes. On the iphone it searches INSTANTLY, and there is absolutely no lag at all. Its not just the n900, most smartphones lag at this, I dont know how the iphone managed to be so quick. All of the native iphone apps are speedy and ive never had even a 2 second lag.

More apps. I know maemo 5 is new so it isnt a fair comparison, but the iphone just has so many apps, theres an app for everything. Anything you want, just name it and iphone will probably have an app for it. I guess its because it has the appstore along with cydia and installous, many different places to get your apps.

Touch Screen. The capacitive screen is really nice and the responsiveness is great. I never had any problems with resistive touch screens, and I dont think they are bad at all, theyre still great to use, but i definitely think capacitive screens have their advantages.

Amount of accessories. There are so many accessories for the iphone, I can walk into almost any electronic store and see something for the iphone. its great.

Other differences:

The browser. The n900's browser is great, but it does lag when scrolling down a page sometimes. It skips or gets choppy. On the safari browser its very smooth and feels nice. The N900's browser is better in terms of speed and page rendering, but safari comes close, and is not a bad replacement.

The keyboard. Yes the hardware keyboard on the n900 is useful, but the iphone keyboard is not bad at all. Ive only been using for a few days now and ive alreay found myself typing very fast on it, almost as fast as on the n900.

Portrait mode. After using the n900 for so long, i got really used to the landscape. Now that im with the iphone, it feels better using it in portrait and its easier to do thing with 1 hand. (Yes, ive done a lot on the n900 with just one hand, its not impossible, just difficult.)

Also, i was new with the terminal and command lines when I got the n900, and i learned a lot from there. I was happy to see that the iphone also has a terminal and the system files are very similar to the N900. I feel right at home.

Wifi speed. The wifi speed on the iphone is AWFUL. I used to get up to 1-2 mbps with the n900, with the iphone I can barey get to 500kbps. theyre both on the same router, and ive tried at 5 different locations. Ive tried the router settings that everyone says will make the iphones wifi faster, it helped, but still wasnt enough.

In the end, I miss the N900, but not enough to want to switch back. The iphone right now, is better IMO, but thats probably because the N900 is new, and im no developer. Would I consider getting the next maemo device? Definitely.

If your planning on switching from the 3gs to the n900 or vice versa, and have questions, just go ahead and ask. I know i mustve missed a few things anyways.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
Faster I put that in bold because I think its very important and was one of the main reasons I switched. Im not talking about faster at browsing or faster in apps, im talking about speed in general. For example, the music player is very quick and I can scroll down the list without any lag. With the n900, it always skipped and got stuck going down a list of about 1500 songs. Also, searching songs on the N900 lagged and froze up sometimes. On the iphone it searches INSTANTLY, and there is absolutely no lag at all. Its not just the n900, most smartphones lag at this, I dont know how the iphone managed to be so quick. All of the native iphone apps are speedy and ive never had even a 2 second lag.
I think the scroll lag in N900 is where it fails

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moolan For This Useful Post:
aaaah, yet comes the concpericy theory buff (me )
i've resisted apple-teers and their endless arguments that always ends with that little tricky smile that says (i am as content as a cow in a field, why can't u?!)
see, one big obstical is that, apple doesn't like to give you a choice, starting with buying the iphone, u stand in line, and god forbid u are a 3rd world country, they hate you
you have to go and crack it
and then wrestle with app store and itunes
(itunes is said to be the devil's child play list program) lol

and don't get me wrong, i am so much of a gadget freak i am thinking about getting some time off work and study software developing on smartphone platforms (nice jump from my matlab and fortran 77 collage requirements loooool), so i have reserved myself a 16G 3Gs, arrives in a week (what a joke, you can pick up a nokia around a corner in Somalia and call for an air strike loool)

it looks nice, but to sum it up, it is not a nokia
and this is going to sound weird, i don't trust a phone with no menu

i'll give it a tour and i might even like it, so i'll give u the feed back when i get it

for now, even the N900 still has to live up to the N97 reputation as a part-phone, or to tackle the iPad early

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Multitasking. The iphone has an app called "backgrounder" which keeps apps running in the background, but its nowhere near as fast or as cool as the n900. You dont have that multi task screen that shows all the open apps, but it does what it says, so technically, multitasking is possible on the iphone, just not nice as the n900

Just a couple of things... Backgrounder is not multitasking. It pauses the application and saves their state and you can easily switch back to them without restarting the application. I don't think it can really multitask properly. As you have one, can you let us know if you can still receive Skype/MSN/Yahoo IMs while you are reading a website or looking through your photos or music?

A great demo of the N900's multitasking capability is to open a few windows, then open DrNokSnes and run a game. Switch back to multitasking screen (ctrl + delete or the camera button) and you can see the game still running in the window.

The other point, the lag issue I think is due to the serial tasking nature of the iPhone. Even if all you do is open 1 application on the N900, the iPhone still has the advantage in that It doesn't have to constantly look for Skype/MSN/Yahoo etc IMs and so on. The iPhone can solely focus on the application you are using and little else. Of course, it is personal preference over whether you want multitasking or not. Not everyone wants IMs coming through or Twitter feeds etc while browsing a website or listening to music.

The Apps are well known, but personally, I don't want to spend even more money after I've spent so much getting a phone.. the iPhone and the N900 do not come cheap

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by thesikoindeskiz View Post
and then wrestle with app store and itunes
(itunes is said to be the devil's child play list program) lol
Good point. Every time I am going to succumb to the advertising and try out the life of an Apple sheep... I remember the virus that is iTunes... I really can't stand it. Mass Storage is my favourite way. I can tag and label my music myself. I don't want to spend hours converting movie files to Apple codecs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
this thread is not to criticize the N900 or to tell you guys how much I think it sucks, the N900 and the 3gs are both great devices, so I thought I would make a little comparison because all the "3gs vs n900" reviews ive read are either from apple or nokia fanboys, so heres a fair comparison.

Im not going to say all the obvious differences such as the keyboard and size/weight differences because all that can be viewed from a spec chart. Im going to explain the differences that cant be found just by looking at the spec chart.

basically, I got bored of the N900 so decided to get the iphone 3gs 32gb. Its not because I didnt like the n900, I just like to switch up my phones once in a while.

What advantages the n900 has:

Screen resolution. At first, I didnt notice much difference, the iphone still displayed everything okay with not sharp edges, but when I opened the game "angry birds" everything was choppy, it looked really bad compared to the N900. The birds had sharp edges because of the pixels and it just wasnt as smooth-looking as the n900, so I miss the high resolution.

Speaker. The speakers on the N900 are a little better, but not that much noticeable difference IMO. The speakers on the iphone are at the bottom and the sound level decreases by a lot if you put your hand over them, whereas in the n900 you can cover both speakers and still here the sound clearly. This can be a bad thing because the way I hold the iphone, my fingers kind of cover the bottom.

3g with tmobile. I dont have an internet plan with tmobile so it doesnt affect me. But this may be the reason for some people to keep the N900.

Advantages of the Iphone:

More apps. I know maemo 5 is new so it isnt a fair comparison, but the iphone just has so many apps, theres an app for everything. Anything you want, just name it and iphone will probably have an app for it. I guess its because it has the appstore along with cydia and installous, many different places to get your apps.

Touch Screen. The capacitive screen is really nice and the responsiveness is great. I never had any problems with resistive touch screens, and I dont think they are bad at all, theyre still great to use, but i definitely think capacitive screens have their advantages.

Amount of accessories. There are so many accessories for the iphone, I can walk into almost any electronic store and see something for the iphone. its great.

Other differences:

The browser. The n900's browser is great, but it does lag when scrolling down a page sometimes. It skips or gets choppy. On the safari browser its very smooth and feels nice. The N900's browser is better in terms of speed and page rendering, but safari comes close, and is not a bad replacement.

The keyboard. Yes the hardware keyboard on the n900 is useful, but the iphone keyboard is not bad at all. Ive only been using for a few days now and ive alreay found myself typing very fast on it, almost as fast as on the n900.

Portrait mode. After using the n900 for so long, i got really used to the landscape. Now that im with the iphone, it feels better using it in portrait and its easier to do thing with 1 hand. (Yes, ive done a lot on the n900 with just one hand, its not impossible, just difficult.)

Also, i was new with the terminal and command lines when I got the n900, and i learned a lot from there. I was happy to see that the iphone also has a terminal and the system files are very similar to the N900. I feel right at home.

Wifi speed. The wifi speed on the iphone is AWFUL. I used to get up to 1-2 mbps with the n900, with the iphone I can barey get to 500kbps. theyre both on the same router, and ive tried at 5 different locations. Ive tried the router settings that everyone says will make the iphones wifi faster, it helped, but still wasnt enough.

In the end, I miss the N900, but not enough to want to switch back. The iphone right now, is better IMO, but thats probably because the N900 is new, and im no developer. Would I consider getting the next maemo device? Definitely.

If your planning on switching from the 3gs to the n900 or vice versa, and have questions, just go ahead and ask. I know i mustve missed a few things anyways.
Good summation. Overall I think you are right. I have both devices. I would make N900 my only device, but email on N900 is just not there for me.......and iphone therefore wins. However, I do think that n900 is much more addictive, with multiple windows I could IM, browse the internet, text, email and do other things at the same time......

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Canada
I just switched over from the iPhone to the N900 and frankly I would NEVER go back. I for one need and welcome the true multitasking that the N900 provides. You make some valid points and those have mostly to do as to how well polished and optimized the iPhone is, now in its 3rd generation, quite understandable. I expect no less for the N900 moving forward. I think it will be and is already in my opinion the iPhone's most formidable opponent. I have tried all three OS's (iPhone OS, Android 2.1 and Maemo ->Meego) and clearly, at least for me, Maemo is the phone OS of the future. They have basically thought of almost everything, now, all that lacks is polish and optimization in certain key areas to make this the most outstanding hand held device on the planet. As a previous iPhone user I can honestly say the only thing I miss from the iPhone is portrait mode, as for the rest, the N900 has delivered and surpassed my expectations. Finally, no more vendor lock-down is a welcome relief.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sp1ke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Its refreshing to see a quick comparison by a non-fanboy.
I do have to admit the iPhone handles music better than the N900.

Just my 2c: i'd go to Android before even considering the iPhone.

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
Good summation. Overall I think you are right. I have both devices. I would make N900 my only device, but email on N900 is just not there for me.......and iphone therefore wins.
I prefer neither for email, my Blackberry Bold takes care of that, and has one of the best qwerty keyboards around.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I don't know man, your thread really does sound like you're trying to convince yourself that you did the right thing to switch to the iPhone.. That's what I really felt when I read your thread.. especially on this paragraph..

"The browser. The n900's browser is great, but it does lag when scrolling down a page sometimes. It skips or gets choppy. On the safari browser its very smooth and feels nice. The N900's browser is better in terms of speed and page rendering, but safari comes close, and is not a bad replacement."

In face a lot of things just sounded that way..