Poll: Do you like this idea?
Poll Options
Do you like this idea?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Dear Maemo Community,

I saw already a lot of threads which compare the iPhone and the N900 with each other. I personally agree that there exist a lot of iPhone users, so why we dont use that as advantage for us?

What I try to say is that we may should consider a solution to connect both devices with each other, yes some of you will probably hate me now but I mean it serious. It would make the N900 and Maemo itself also way more popular and two communities would get more together.

At least from the technical side I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make a application for both operation systems and connect it for example via BT or Internet with each other. A start as "proof of concept" could be for example a simple Tic Tac Toe game. Sure for example the bluetooth connection of the iPhone is very limited but it is possible to use also other devices with it anyway.

It would be nice to hear your opinion about my idea, I simply look for a solution to build a bigger community around Maemo and may create a better relation between the iPhone and Nokia users.

With best regards,
Crogge

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-02-21 at 04:59.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I tried bluetoothing a small mp3 file and the iPhone couldn't accept it...

I always hated how owning a different electronic device meant you couldn't interact with others on a different one. For example, my cousin owns a PS3, while I own a 360. Yet, we can't play the same game online with each other simply because Microsoft and Sony don't want that capability (granted there are also technological differences in how the two do multiplayer as well) But he and I would, and we would pay extra for that feature.

But I imagine it's possible across portable devices that allow the installation of an application with a multiplayer component. It just takes talented developer(s), a great vision, and perhaps a budget for the setup of network hardware and network related knowhow if it's done online (as you pointed out due to the iPhone's limited bluetooth support).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
Dear Maemo Community,

I saw already a lot of threads which compare the iPhone and the N900 with each other. I personally agree that there exist a lot of iPhone users, so why we dont use that as advantage for us?

What I try to say is that we may should consider a solution to connect both devices with each other, yes some of you will probably hate me now but I mean it serious. It would make the N900 and Maemo itself also way more popular and two communities would get more together.

At least from the technical side I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make a application for both operation systems and connect it for example via BT or Internet with each other. A start as "proof of concept" could be for example a simple Tic Tac Toe game. Sure for example the bluetooth connection of the iPhone is very limited but it is possible to use also other devices with it anyway.

It would be nice to hear your opinion about my idea, I simply look for a solution to build a bigger community around Maemo and may create a better relation between the iPhone and Nokia users.

With best regards,
Crogge
I like that..........very cute.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
There's your bridge...

But seriously, the answer is in the clouds.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-02-21 at 05:43.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
There's your bridge...

But seriously, the answer is in the clouds.

The iPhone isn't touching the bridge.. so that won't work..

This would be a great revenue maker. Give away or sell at a low cost (dollar) and then charge a subscription to play online with players on other electronic devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
I'm afraid Apple will not allow this connection. They want their iPhone be the only king.

It's a good idea in general, not just between the iphone and N900 specifically. However, I believe that the problem here is on the iphone side of the equation. It's a very closed and limited device, it's hard for me to believe Apple will ever open up the iphone's bluetooth for anything other than their proprietary uses.

My first post BTW... Love my N900 .)

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Considering thw lawsuits that are going on at the moment between Nokia and Apple I think the love has gone.