Originally Posted by rrj View Post
Hi All,
I am in Edmonton and was wondering if N900 was available here. First I checked with Fido (have an existing connection) and they said that N900 is officially NOT YET HERE !! The people who have got it have the European version which is not supported by Fido. So I checked with Nokia Canada support via phone, and they confirmed that N900 is officially NOT there in Canada. If you go to Nokia.ca, you will find that N900 is NOT part of the latest models available here.

So how could you guys get a hold of it? Is it the European version or the north american one?

Thanks,
RRJ.
I'm in Montreal, using Rogers, and I have an N900 - it works fine, but at EDGE speeds... I have wifi most places, and I can live with EDGE when I'm not on wifi... 3G would be nice, but it hasn't annoyed me much not to have it.

I bought the n900 from newegg.ca - back in January.

I'd highly recommend getting one!!!

first post !

gonna visit Ottawa for 2 months during the summer ( June and July ) and looking into their providers and Wind Mobile is there ! 3G speed

I was wondering if 500 MB is enough for like 10-15 of Skype per day, and very low web browsing since i'm gonna be on WiFi anyways ! Any suggestions guys ?

Originally Posted by magog View Post
Cool - I usually don't worry about electronics breaking, at least not after a month. If they're defective, you'll probably know sooner than that. But I worry about the N900 USB problem. Do new units still suffer from this defect? I couldn't tell from skimming the threads.

I guess for extra insurance, there's always newegg's $50 extended warranty option too....
i got personal items insurance from state farm for about $40 per year! seems good enough and it also covers theft and loss.

I need to know something important for me. I am in Montreal, and I have just finished my 3 year contract with Rogers, and am finally a free man
With the N900 in hand, I want to know if there is anyone does offers, or plans to offer the necessary N900 3G bands? I don't know much about frequencies and such, but I just heard that Videotron offers wireless solution, and from their website, they seem to support GSM 850 and 1900 MHz. I am asking because I would like to purchase the Sony X10 for my girl, since Rogers is selling it at 150$ and I don't mind renewing my contract if there's nobody that plans on having the N900 3G bands.

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I need to know something important for me. I am in Montreal, and I have just finished my 3 year contract with Rogers, and am finally a free man
With the N900 in hand, I want to know if there is anyone does offers, or plans to offer the necessary N900 3G bands? I don't know much about frequencies and such, but I just heard that Videotron offers wireless solution, and from their website, they seem to support GSM 850 and 1900 MHz. I am asking because I would like to purchase the Sony X10 for my girl, since Rogers is selling it at 150$ and I don't mind renewing my contract if there's nobody that plans on having the N900 3G bands.
I know Windmobile, Public Mobile and Mobilicity plans to support AWS band. I do not know when they will be in Montreal though...

Originally Posted by n61adm View Post
I know Windmobile, Public Mobile and Mobilicity plans to support AWS band. I do not know when they will be in Montreal though...
Thanks for the quick response. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that:
*Wind Mobile would never be in Quebec because Videotron bought this spectrum, yet Videotron doesn't seem to offer the necessary 3g band, so that leaves Wind out.
*Public Mobile, from their website: "Only Public Mobile phones will work on the Public Mobile network. Phones from other wireless companies will not work on our network. Look for the Public Mobile logo on the phone or visit a Public Mobile store to make sure." So sounds like the N900 won't be compatible.
*And from the Mobilicity website: "Mobilicity’s network uses a frequency called AWS, with bands 1700/2100." Which I assume that is the correct N900 3G band. Yet I don't see anywhere any sort of information that points to them eventually making the move to Montreal...

So is it fair to say that the N900 will not have 3G coverage in Montreal for at least another 2 years?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
*Public Mobile, from their website: "Only Public Mobile phones will work on the Public Mobile network. Phones from other wireless companies will not work on our network. Look for the Public Mobile logo on the phone or visit a Public Mobile store to make sure." So sounds like the N900 won't be compatible.
That sounds like fairly standard provider nonsense to me, and should probably be read as, "don't blame us if your non-Public Mobile phone doesn't work." I seriously doubt that only PM phones will work (although I suppose they could be that restrictive).

What might be tricky is getting your hands on one of their SIMs without having to buy a phone to go with it. I know when Wind first launched in Toronto, that was the only way to get a SIM. Didn't take them too long to realize that they were deterring lots of potential customers by not offering SIM-only sign ups.

Have you checked the Public Mobile forum at HowardForums?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by neilhwatson View Post
According to Nokia, via Wind Mobile, the N900 will not be offered in Canada. Reports are that US models in Canada have no warranty.
http://www.windmobile.ca/community/W...kia-5230/?cp=3
My personal guess is that the corps (thru the CRTC) don't like Unlocked phones. Fido refused to answer any questions as soon as I told them I did'nt have a Fido provided phone. So Nokia can't offer the N900 in Canada or else they would'nt be able to sell any Nokia phones thru the big 3 ! As stupid as that might sound. One of my co-worker updated the firmware of his phones from the manufacturer and Bell downgraded the smartphone remotely the next day (while the phone stopped working for half a day until it booted back and was the old firmware version!) It was not a rented phone nor did he have a contract. He just got it from Bell and they were his current provider.

So is it fair to say that the N900 will not have 3G coverage in Montreal for at least another 2 years?
Well, I think the answer is Videotron. They were supposed to offer the service this summer 3.75G! But it was delayed till autumn.
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/768524

Thing is, everything need to be in place for Aug 15
http://www.westislandgazette.com/news/15091
so I guess they will be ready but maybe they have to wait for the local broadcaster to build the new towers on top of Mount Royal for OTA HD ?!? Is'nt the frenquency (1700) the one's from the old analog tv broadcast won thru auction?

So that transition end August 2011 where TV OTA will be king (crystal picture).

Interesting note is that for the CRTC, officially, OTA does'nt exist while the US gov give a nice web site so that any american can find all the channels he would get from a tower antenna.

Please don't take any 2 years contracts, since even the current cell provider might lower their own prices and they won't do that for you if you are locked into them... Wait 2011 to lock yourself.

I, for my part, wish to get nice 3G service from Videotron when they launch but if it does'nt work, I would simply stay with Fido.... Which call me to lock me into a 2 year contract each month now...

Strange fact : Videotron built a new tower in the middle of the commuter train parking at "Du Ruisseau", taking 6 parking space for the nice little building at the base, and since the day they finished it, that station has become a black hole for my Fido-connected phone!! I completely lose data connection for the 5 min we are around that parking! It must be powerfull to "static" the other provider...

Maybe it's because it was already at the edge of 2 others fido/rogers towers and I was lucky it was working before there.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can confirm that the current N900 can do voice on Rogers/Fido, but it only shows "2.5 G" for data and has dismal data rates.

But with Wind (hopeful!) and Telus/Bell launching 3G networks soon, there IS hope...
iam actualy connected on rogers canada....and my data signalk showing me 2.5g

any way for capture 3.5 or more...cause rogers canada launch iphone 4g for montreal canada so n900 suppose to be able to surf on it fast way

i buy a n900 ferrary for go fast on the internet racing like a ferrari

not like a pintault

tx to share me anyway for hack this n900 for be able to got 3g+ in canada...iam shure its possible!!
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by LABAUDIO View Post
any way for capture 3.5 or more...cause rogers canada launch iphone 4g for montreal canada so n900 suppose to be able to surf on it fast way

i buy a n900 ferrary for go fast on the internet racing like a ferrari

not like a pintault

tx to share me anyway for hack this n900 for be able to got 3g+ in canada...iam shure its possible!!
No -- there's no 'hack' to get 3G on the N900 in Canada. You simply need to switch to a wireless provider that offers AWS 3G data (which Rogers does not).

I'm really not sure what your options are in Quebec, unfortunately.

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind