Active Topics

Notices

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Yes, it is Linux, and I have no problem doing this. But if I can avoid it.
What's the sense when I have to manipulate the xml files of the browser?
This should be possible within the browser.
But that is offtopic now. It was about a slow Firefox.
It's about how powerful and flexible this device is. What about the microb source? Wouldn't it be easy to patch microb? I think I can use such a patch!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
You guys certainly know how to screw up an OS ! why dont you all realise the reason firefox is acting slow is because of internet speed available to the device.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mase View Post
FF has many problems with duckduckgo.com.
Try making a search and scroll down.
Ok, yeah, that's pretty bad. I've had no problem with Firefox on pretty much any other web pages, but it does have a real problem with that one.

Most pages, though, it's just as fast as Microb.

firefox is equally slow on edge as on wifi to 30Mbit/s connection..

The biggest reason is its enormous RAM use..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
I'm also interested in ways to make firefox faster; add-ons, about:config tricks, whatever you guys got up your sleeve; I still haven't had any luck with searching threads for those.

Strip firefox down and it will run faster, exactly the same as you would do on windows to make it run faster.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-03-28 at 06:39.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
add-ons will only make it go slower.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
My FF renders pages faster than MicroB.. but MicroB is faster to start due to that it is already loaded. It takes maybe 5-10 sec or something to do a cold start. I use FF cause it is overall much better than MicroB.

A tip is to be careful with what extensions you install.. some will make it very slow.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

One of the reasons firefox appears to be slow is the checks it does for bogus websites, on startup it does a self check and checks for updates for itself and any other features you have installed.

Once the initial checks are done the only checks after that are for harmful sites etc.

The way to make firefox run quicker is to stop it checking itself for updates and addon updates, if anyone can run the code and strip it down then let the community have the end result, would be much helpful and appreciated.

what version is out now? i only have v1 i think its not showing any updates for me but im sure others have a newer version

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You guys certainly know how to screw up an OS ! why dont you all realise the reason firefox is acting slow is because of internet speed available to the device.
tethering my fone and using firefox on my computer is alot faster and its using the same same internet...
its not the speed of the net, its not optimized for the n900

Last edited by bman; 2011-03-28 at 09:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to bman For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, bada rocks