Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Looks nice, any hatches detected?
Well, seems there's no true global module available, only PLS8-E(urope) and PLS8-US(a), both supporting bands that the other variant doesn't. So customers have to decide which modem they want (we will build-to-custom). User also could opt for the PXS8 that is true worldwide connectivity (incl CDMA!) but lacks LTE. Also PLS8 is bleeding edge, the data sheets are not even publicly available yet, so specs (and supported bands) may change.

Technically all those should be compatible and drop-in replacements. We don't know about software compatibility, I.E. if fremantle dialer would work flawlessly with any or all of them.

We're just starting to evaluate our options :-)
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-13 at 18:34.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
..... Need LTE .....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Cases are abundance, even in three (four?) colors, and sellers claim they can ramp up production to a few 1000/week.
If you are exploring aftermarket manufacturers for the cases, perhaps you should investigate the possibility of manufacturing the back case replacing the chrome "ring" around the camera lens cover with one with a black matte finish. An all-black finish for the lens cover itself (instead of the blue-sided cover currently on the OEM cover) should be considered also.

I personally have not had any issues, but some N900 users in the early years identified these parts (the lens cover in particular) as contributing to hazy image quality of photos taken (see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36675). Some users who had significant problems resorted to painting/coloring the offending parts black themselves. This apparently drove some improvement in photo quality.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Well, seems there's no true global module available, only PLS8-E(urope) and PLS8-US(a), both supporting bands that the other variant doesn't. So customers have to decide which modem they want (we will build-to-custom).
It's a bad news, I need a working phone for USA and Europe, but I don't want to sacrifice LTE.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
It's a bad news, I need a working phone for USA and Europe, but I don't want to sacrifice LTE.
Not supporting all bands of all 'generations' in both Europe and USA doesn't yet mean it's not working at all when roaming. It just means you can't select from all available services when abroad. You still may be able to use UMTS or at least EDGE.
[edit] it seems the PLS8-US supports 900/1800 GSM/EDGE at least, which should be fine for phonecalls and basic data almost everywhere in the world [/edit]

Worst case handling at it's best: we might offer pluggable modem modules so you just swap the module when you travel. This however is absolutely not evaluated for feasibility yet, but it's on my list of things to look into.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-13 at 18:39.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
whooaaaaaa pluggable modem modules.
that sound so fukken cool, and i dont even travel much.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Not supporting all bands of all 'generations' in both Europe and USA doesn't yet mean it's not working at all when roaming. It just means you can't select from all available services when abroad. You still may be able to use UMTS or at least EDGE.
Thank you for the precisions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
If I neither care for US compatibility nor for LTE will it matter which of the two remaining modems is built into my device from a standpoint of ease of use (driver availablility), reliablility or anything else?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
If I neither care for US compatibility nor for LTE will it matter which of the two remaining modems is built into my device from a standpoint of ease of use (driver availablility), reliablility or anything else?
Basically no, it seems to me they are all rated heavy-duty (automotive extended temperature range), long life, and supposed to have similar or even identical interface both electrical as well as logical.
It's just that there are several models, some supporting all EU bands incl LTE, or US bands incl LTE, or US and EU bands and CDMA. See http://m2m.gemalto.com/products/m2m-advanced.html

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-11 at 21:06.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Not supporting all bands of all 'generations' in both Europe and USA doesn't yet mean it's not working at all when roaming. It just means you can't select from all available services when abroad. You still may be able to use UMTS or at least EDGE. Worst case handling at it's best: we might offer pluggable modem modules so you just swap the module when you travel. This however is absolutely not evaluated for feasibility yet, but it's on my list of things to look into. cheers jOERG
wtf ? Calypso then

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!