Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
hi - does anyone how to choose my current position?
Right now you can't "choose" your current position. If you turn the "position updates" on it will KNOW your current position and if you press the enter key on the keyboard will center on it.

For now the easiest way to get the map to move to a given position is to get directions (the application will recenter the map to show the origin and destination addresses)

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Can the 'Directions' be made to function like on my pc laptop, where you can drag-and-drop points on the initial route in order to generate an alternate route?

As for the weather radar layering, Google Earth has that option. I don't know if that's compatible with what you've done with this project.
But I will say this about the Google Earth radar layer that I used on my laptop:
I didn't like that it was solidly superimposed over the map.
For the purpose of integrating with navigation, I think radar imaging would be more of a hinderance if it's not available as a translucent layer.

Again, great application so far.

Originally Posted by TheJason View Post
Can the 'Directions' be made to function like on my pc laptop, where you can drag-and-drop points on the initial route in order to generate an alternate route?
I will have to look into it. Right now the application is suppressing all the mouse events from getting to the "google maps".

Originally Posted by TheJason View Post
As for the weather radar layering, Google Earth has that option. I don't know if that's compatible with what you've done with this project.
But I will say this about the Google Earth radar layer that I used on my laptop:
I didn't like that it was solidly superimposed over the map.
For the purpose of integrating with navigation, I think radar imaging would be more of a hinderance if it's not available as a translucent layer.
Again, great application so far.
I still have to look into it but don't believe anything from google earth can "automatically" be used on google maps.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Very nice app, a must have, works perfectly here ! Thanks a lot !

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Hong Kong
Just repot here that GeePS does not show any maps in China whilst Maep works fine.

Wondering if this is a known issue....

Originally Posted by taike_hk View Post
Just repot here that GeePS does not show any maps in China whilst Maep works fine.

I am afraid it is a google maps limitation. To make sure just try to visit http://www.google.com/maps

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Originally Posted by taike_hk View Post

if accessing google services restricted in your area, use "tor" , it's working with this application.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Not really a bug, but I've noticed that GeePS fails to load when using an IPv6 only connection. I usually just switch over to a v4/v6 combo connection when I need to use it, works just fine then.

I'm guessing on IPv6 it can't find a route to the GeePS server as google serves IPv6. Probably really a -fringe case as I think it only applies to a few T-Mobile US users.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by 222 View Post
if accessing google services restricted in your area, use "tor" , it's working with this application.
Google services are not restricted in China.

What is "tor"?

Can you make GeePS show places as you zoom in?

I noticed last week a feature that I'd become accustomed to in regular pc/windows google maps wasn't available in GeePS. On my laptop, as you zoom in to a location on the map, you see business locations and property/lot boundaries. This could be very useful in a situation where you're in an unfamiliar location and you just want to see what's around you without having to randomly drive around looking as opposed to paying attention to the road and other drivers.

I read that you plan to "add window with "business information" (address, phone, web site)"

I have used the search function and it is helpful.
But it would be very convenient to also just be able to zoom in and see what's close. This is something easy to do single-handed at a stoplight for instance when driving.

In a more recent post you mentioned that you were still hopeful that google will "open" the "places api" so you can show even more information.
I just wanted to aknowledge that I saw this. I don't exactly know what it means. It sounds like the very thing you need to access to make this happen?