Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Or worse... the new mantra will be...
FIXED IN MEEGO
I think that you misunderstood what Matan projects will "fixed" in PR 1.3:

PR 1.2 : No adverse consequences to deleting cherry files.

PR 1.3 Fixed!

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
I think that you misunderstood what Matan projects will "fixed" in PR 1.3:

PR 1.2 : No adverse consequences to deleting cherry files.

PR 1.3 Fixed!
Correction:

PR 1.3: Fixed! (as far as you know)

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Correction:

PR 1.3: Fixed! (as far as you know)
While it might be true that Nokia will take actions to undo the effect of notmynokia in a future update, I would hope that they would not waste their effort. Anyone who installs that application is making a clear statement that they do NOT give permission to Nokia to steal personal data -- I would hope Nokia would acknowledge that and honour their wishes.

If they choose to escalate the arms race then they can expect the community will do the most it can to provide an opt-out again.

Technically, I would guess they can't win with any Fremantle release: they need the trusted security base stuff that is supposed to be coming in Harmattan. But, once they have that in place, it may not be possible to stop them any more: so it is critical that we get Nokia to change their policy, and promise an opt-out, for all future devices.

On the other hand, at least that will be with a future device: we will have time to publicise this behaviour so people do not buy it if they are concerned about privacy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I can still stop them. I can lodge a complaint with my carrier and opt to block the numbers. If people keep lodging complaints the numbers could be globally blocked for everyone, just like scam, fake, toll etc numbers get blocked.

At the very least, it's from a mass SMS sender and I can opt to block them. There has to be a way. If there isn't, I'll probably revert to no-data-on-device policy I apply to non-trusted sources. E.g., my Google contacts only features a few mail addresses, mostly business. The complete list is on-pc, password-protected by an app I wrote, just to be safe.

If I have to, I'll just carry 10 numbers in contacts and use a third party dialer and contact database. I'll use a text file and copy from there. Don't know, I'll find a way.

I never thought I'd carry a contacts notepad in 2010.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
While it might be true that Nokia will take actions to undo the effect of notmynokia in a future update, I would hope that they would not waste their effort. Anyone who installs that application is making a clear statement that they do NOT give permission to Nokia to steal personal data -- I would hope Nokia would acknowledge that and honour their wishes.

If they choose to escalate the arms race then they can expect the community will do the most it can to provide an opt-out again.

Technically, I would guess they can't win with any Fremantle release: they need the trusted security base stuff that is supposed to be coming in Harmattan. But, once they have that in place, it may not be possible to stop them any more: so it is critical that we get Nokia to change their policy, and promise an opt-out, for all future devices.

On the other hand, at least that will be with a future device: we will have time to publicise this behaviour so people do not buy it if they are concerned about privacy.
On the other hand, Nokia could bring in legal and simply post a notice stating that in order for you to upgrade, you MUST accept this license which says that they can, from time to time, do things like send secret SMS's and other communications to or from their servers.

Remember, the surreptitious behavior isn't the only issue I have a problem with here. Completely free and open sourced would have also implied transparency and choice.

Well, every company to ever bite the dirt did something to drive away even the most die-hard fans, otherwise they'd still be alive.

Behind every failure is a bad decision. It's just a matter of what it is. In Nokia's case, the fall was bad aquisitions, it forced an emphasis on an aging OS, delaying Nokia's entry in the next age. Some people have version 4, Nokia is in alpha.

But even with too many phones, decreasing quality, poor management and general instability, it still inspires seriousness and that business feeling that we love so much. If they do this, then gather around, kids, you don't see this very often.

Timberrrrrrr

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
On the other hand, Nokia could bring in legal and simply post a notice stating that in order for you to upgrade, you MUST accept this license which says that they can, from time to time, do things like send secret SMS's and other communications to or from their servers.
If they do that then (i) at least people are warned in advance, and (ii) the community might well produce an alternative upgrade which would only, of course, upgrade the open software, not the Nokia proprietary software.

But you are right: more software being open would allow the community to provide better choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Wouldn't updating the OS under apps break apps?

Also, if a service has updated terms, not updating doesn't mean terms don't apply. Nokia can retroactively require cherry by dependency insertion or denial of access to online features.

And you still truly believe there is free lunch out there !
Wake up. specially you ndi, where and when you have ever got anything as free lunch ?

And if you feel you had, did you check all source code to be 100% sure ?

Hey, it is only C or similar, anybody can read it, right ?

Accusing someone with feeling is like pissing to pants on winter; it feels worm for moment and then even more colder that it was.

ps. and if you so love that iphone, do recall, it will collect and deliver your GPS location without any permission from you except you use it.

Last edited by nsjra; 2010-07-25 at 20:58.

Originally Posted by nsjra View Post
And you still truly believe there is free lunch out there !
Wake up. specially you ndi, where and when you have ever got anything as free lunch ?
Yes. I have received, and given out, free lunches.

Also, it's good that you have an opinion and you want it out there, but insinuating that those who don't agree sleep through life isn't the best way to make your case.

Don't worry though, there are good sides to everything. The manner of expressing yourself, along with unchecked language and imperative tone has made it easier for me to skim through the rest of the reply.

See? Free information.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post: