Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mark Wilcox View Post
My question now is, if the MeeGo UI framework is not the thing to use what is - really just QML? Where's the standard chrome (battery and signal etc) going to come from? Are there some QML components for that on the way. What will define the standard platform look and feel?
Here's the deal:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/09/10/...ck-components/

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
My question now is, if the MeeGo UI framework is not the thing to use what is - really just QML? Where's the standard chrome (battery and signal etc) going to come from? Are there some QML components for that on the way. What will define the standard platform look and feel?

Just curious...
As far as I understand there will be QML, Qt Quick and Qt Mobile.

Also there will be no standard look and feel heavily enforced on developers. Look here:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/19/...shop-and-gimp/

Graphic designers can make any design and just export it to QML. On one hand this is usability problem but on the other massive incentive to all designers, corporations and institutions which prefer to make their own designs and not to bow to some external idea how things should like.

Not sure how guts of this system will be implemented but it offers easy way for corporate identity not only on telecom level but even on all small company phones it will be *cheap* way to create its own look&feel.

Also - not sure if such "forking" of efforts was essentially bad thing. Without trial&error you wouldn't know if things are good or bad. You have to go some distance with each path to know where you should eventually commit yourself. In Nokia and Qt case it was dramatically visible due to open source method of development.

Supposedly Apple was working on iPhone several years before it was released - do you think they were working from the day one on only one and true version? I don't think so.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ York UK
OK, if MeeGo Touch (libdui + native app UIs) really haven't been canned then you should probably do some internal and external comms to make sure everyone knows what's going on. Simon Judge is fairly widely read in the mobile world and that story could easily spread.

I was aware of the Qt Quick components project but wonder how far we are from a MeeGo device launch if we've got to wait for them to finish and new UIs to be written in QML (maybe not far... QML is pretty quick to do after all).

Thanks for the answers.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
MeeGo 1.1 is released next week, they are a bit late canning MeeGo touch if its true.
but it could explain why the device they planned to releases this quarter as been delayed until sometime in 2011

From the QML Components post it seems clear that if you want MeeGo users to find your UI familiar then you should follow the UI design guidelines, whether you're using native or QML.
http://meego.com/developers/ui-desig...elines/handset
The QML components will help you to do so.

Of course you've always been able to do a completely custom UI, on just about any platform. Rigidly enforcing styles was always restricted to 3rd party stuff that went in ROMs or on memory cards... hopefully those days a pretty much over.

MeeGo 1.1 is released next week, they are a bit late canning MeeGo touch if its true.
but it could explain why the device they planned to releases this quarter as been delayed until sometime in 2011
The first Symbian^4 PDK was released the same day that Nokia announced they would not be using the numbering any more and canned Orbit (aka UIEMO - I can confirm that really is canned) and the new apps based on it. The fun with this open source embedded stuff is that releases don't really mean a thing - until it ships in millions of devices and there's no taking it back, there's not much you can count on for certain. :-)

OK, if MeeGo Touch (libdui + native app UIs) really haven't been canned then you should probably do some internal and external comms to make sure everyone knows what's going on. Simon Judge is fairly widely read in the mobile world and that story could easily spread.
MeeGotouch is part of MeeGo, so it is not just going away. Qt Quick and Qt Quick components is preferred to new applications because is is cross platform. You have Qt Quick everywhere were you have Qt4.7, all desktop platforms, maemo5, and MeeGo.

I was aware of the Qt Quick components project but wonder how far we are from a MeeGo device launch if we've got to wait for them to finish and new UIs to be written in QML (maybe not far... QML is pretty quick to do after all).

Thanks for the answers.
I can't say when Qt Quck components is is finished but what i have tried it, even it is early stages, it is not so bad shape at all.

We have plan to release ready packetized version soon so that developers can start play around with it. If you can't wait you can download it from gitorious http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-components

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Now the developer story is easy to explain: Qt is the Queen, Qt Quick is the King and Qt Mobility is the Wizard. That's it.

All the rest is now tagged as legacy, which means that the teams working on these frameworks are now planning the way forward to contribute directly to Qt's speed and success.

If you are an application developer interested in MeeGo / Symbian the path is clear. If you are interested in alternative paths that's fine, but up to you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Now the developer story is easy to explain: Qt is the Queen, Qt Quick is the King and Qt Mobility is the Wizard. That's it.

All the rest is now tagged as legacy, which means that the teams working on these frameworks are now planning the way forward to contribute directly to Qt's speed and success.

If you are an application developer interested in MeeGo / Symbian the path is clear. If you are interested in alternative paths that's fine, but up to you.
I still like to clarify, even Qt is Queen and QWidgets are part of Qt, don't expect to get full MeeGo user experience with them. If target is application that really succeeds and offers optimum mobile user experience, Qt Quick with components is only reasonable choice.

Kate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
I only hope Symbian, Meego, Maemo and WM will all get same widgets set and we will not have to do so many #ifdef. I think Qt and all OSes just got a second chance.

Tags
cross-platform, dui, future, harmattan, libdui, maemo, maemo 6, plain qt, programming, source compatibility, symbian