Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
For a moment I build it on N900, following your instruction in other thread.

EDIT: It again failed in opengl check -

"The EGL functionality test failed!
EGL is required for OpenGL ES to manage contexts & surfaces.
You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
QMAKE_INCDIR_EGL, QMAKE_LIBDIR_EGL and QMAKE_LIBS_EGL in
/root/qt4-x11-4.6.2~git20100401/mkspecs/linux-g++-maemo5."

Both packages - opengles-sgx-img-common-dev and libgles2-sgx-img-dev are installed as so as non "-dev" versions.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-10-25 at 06:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
For a moment I build it on N900, following your instruction in other thread.

EDIT: It again failed in opengl check -

"The EGL functionality test failed!
EGL is required for OpenGL ES to manage contexts & surfaces.
You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
QMAKE_INCDIR_EGL, QMAKE_LIBDIR_EGL and QMAKE_LIBS_EGL in
/root/qt4-x11-4.6.2~git20100401/mkspecs/linux-g++-maemo5."

Both packages - opengles-sgx-img-common-dev and libgles2-sgx-img-dev are installed as so as non "-dev" versions.
Yes, the build failed. I'll take a closer look at the errors tomorrow, but from a quick glance I think it was gl related.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
They cannot have *identical* widget sets as the functionality is different on various platforms, but you will certainly get a lot less #ifdefs than you would by making separate MTF, Orbit and QWidget UIs.
I fail to see why they must be incompatible. Actually I kind of know, it is lack of communication between divisions in the same company and this is what makes it even more unacceptable.
From a developer point of view I do want my application to look exactly the same on all targeted mobile platforms. I don't want my application to look different in symbian than meego or maemo. I mean we are talking about mobile devices having almost same screen size/resolution. There are four mobile os-es supported right now, why should one think an application needs to look different in any of them?
Well I now that the look and feel of a button is not same on meego vs symbian but that doesn't mean I need a button class for each. This should be Qt hidding it from me.
If they cannot achieve that then this means Qt fails to deliver on its promise big time.

From a user point of view it means that some platforms may not get some applications because it means redesigning all UI. So platforms having lower market adoption (think Maemo) may not get applications after all, even though they are available for other platforms supporting Qt.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cristids View Post
I don't want my application to look different in symbian than meego or maemo. I mean we are talking about mobile devices having almost same screen size/resolution. There are four mobile os-es supported right now, why should one think an application needs to look different in any of them?
Well I now that the look and feel of a button is not same on meego vs symbian but that doesn't mean I need a button class for each.
Because the UI paradigm *is* different on these OSes, either due to historical reasons or because of HW form factors (they definitely do NOT have nearly the same size/resolution and screen/kbd). This is not about just a QPushbutton, that we could get over easily, but rather how much part of the OS the app feels. I agree that the #ifdeffing should be done away with or at least minimized, but you cannot so easily forego platform specifics (Components is no silver bullet but at least it makes the mess more manageable). As said, QPushbutton is easy, but what do you do with Symbian softkeys, Maemo's stacked windows, funky pickers, application menus, file management, etc. I know, I know 'not my problem', but am just saying that after doing a project or two you *will* realize that you don't *really* want your apps to look literally the same on all platforms, the best Qt can do is to help you minimize the pain.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Exactly it s not cross plateform but Qt minimize the pain.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Because the UI paradigm *is* different on these OSes, either due to historical reasons or because of HW form factors (they definitely do NOT have nearly the same size/resolution and screen/kbd). This is not about just a QPushbutton, that we could get over easily, but rather how much part of the OS the app feels. I agree that the #ifdeffing should be done away with or at least minimized, but you cannot so easily forego platform specifics (Components is no silver bullet but at least it makes the mess more manageable). As said, QPushbutton is easy, but what do you do with Symbian softkeys, Maemo's stacked windows, funky pickers, application menus, file management, etc. I know, I know 'not my problem', but am just saying that after doing a project or two you *will* realize that you don't *really* want your apps to look literally the same on all platforms, the best Qt can do is to help you minimize the pain.
Please explain to me how N900 is different in HW form factor than N8 or newer symbian devices bearing Qt. They all have touch screens that are about same size. I assume N9 or whatever name will have will be somwhere between 3 and 4.5 inches.
None of the elements you mention must be os specific. I mean I would've have them all put under Qt umbrella. If I want soft keys implemented that is fine, I put the code in Qt, making a note that it is only symbian supported. Meego finds out that it needs soft keys, here they are,we enable them in qt. But each with its own set of controls it is simply bad design and bad interaction between architects. I understand that they choose the shortest path but eventually this will strike back as Qt doesn't deliver on its promise. Instead they should've plan better and when a UI component is needed implement it in all platforms, make it look the same and everybody would've been happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to cristids For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Yes, the build failed. I'll take a closer look at the errors tomorrow, but from a quick glance I think it was gl related.
Today's PR1.3 - package libqt4-dev_4.7.0~git20100909-0maemo1+0m5_armel.deb - the same sh*t, it has Intel386 binaries instead of ARM-based.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cristids View Post
Please explain to me how N900 is different in HW form factor than N8 or newer symbian devices bearing Qt. They all have touch screens that are about same size. I assume N9 or whatever name will have will be somwhere between 3 and 4.5 inches.
That's the point, Qt is not just a 'widget set for ~4" touchscreen devices'. It really needs to (and already does) cover a lot more ground than that, and esp with MeeGo I expect to see a lot wider device spectrum than just N8/N900 lookalikes.

None of the elements you mention must be os specific. I mean I would've have them all put under Qt umbrella. If I want soft keys implemented that is fine, I put the code in Qt, making a note that it is only symbian supported. Meego finds out that it needs soft keys, here they are,we enable them in qt. But each with its own set of controls it is simply bad design and bad interaction between architects. I understand that they choose the shortest path but eventually this will strike back as Qt doesn't deliver on its promise. Instead they should've plan better and when a UI component is needed implement it in all platforms, make it look the same and everybody would've been happy.
I have the feeling you are talking about the now bygone Orbit vs MTF discussion. Please check up on Qt Components, it is almost exactly what you seem to be missing.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I used QT 4.7.0 from PR.1.3 and build in accordance with your instructions passed up to creating bin/qmake. Good! It failed just after that on absence of X11 libs.

I am going to recreate the rest of binaries (moc etc).

But just one question - zrules.txt misses some parameters in comparison with debian/rules, like "-graphicssytem raster" or "-phonon" or "no-rpath". Do I need to add that to zrules.txt?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
well, you make one mistake in leaving 'hardware acceleration' under MTF, as QML can also be hardware accelerated (as can QWidget), and likewise, MeeGo Touch can use software rendering, so there's no functional difference between the three there
If this is the case, what is the point in having just another widget framework for MeeGo instead of using the already existing QWidget-based stuff?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:

Tags
cross-platform, dui, future, harmattan, libdui, maemo, maemo 6, plain qt, programming, source compatibility, symbian