Active Topics

A cheap Chinese phone which meets Nokias quality standards, is fine to me.

Nokia Technologies will take a seat on the Board of Directors of HMD and set mandatory brand requirements and performance related provisions to ensure that all Nokia-branded products exemplify consumer expectations of Nokia devices, including quality, design and consumer focused innovation.
a phone made in Finland would be nicer though..

The Following User Says Thank You to N912 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Symbian S60 was limited in Touch.
There was Symbian UIQ optimized for touch screens, its 1st smartphone was Sony Ericsson P800 in 12/2002.
But UIQ was ditched in 2008, only Symbian S60 was the choice for Symbian Foundation.
If Symbian UIQ had been maintained, it would be better UI to dispute with iOS and Android in 2008-2011.
I loved my P800 and P910 but Sony Ericsson followed those with the P990 which was underpowered for the bloated mess that UIQ 3 on top of Symbian 9 was.

I much preferred UIQ 2 to UIQ v3. v3 had stupid animations and annoying pauses in the UI.

SE managed to kill UIQ by launching it on woefully bad hardware. IIRC the next smartphones they released ran Windows Mobile. That's how much faith they had still in Symbian.

Yet in Nokia S60 seemed to be some kind of cult that had to be fed by sacrificing all common sense on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Who cares?
I'll certainly look at whatever they come up with.

I've sold my Jolla. My Sony z1c is over a year old now so I'll be coming up to something else soon. Sony have their heads up their arse currently with the X series so unless I pick up a z5c cheap or Sony does something at IFA, my next phone probably isn't a Sony.

I won't buy a Samsung and I've never liked HTC. The Nexus phones don't appeal as they never have SD card slots and I like to carry about 5-60GB of music with me, if not more. They're also HUGE.

So yeah, if they come up with something competitive with the design quality and build of old Nokia, why not?

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I loved my P800 and P910 but Sony Ericsson followed those with the P990 which was underpowered for the bloated mess that UIQ 3 on top of Symbian 9 was.

I much preferred UIQ 2 to UIQ v3. v3 had stupid animations and annoying pauses in the UI.

SE managed to kill UIQ by launching it on woefully bad hardware. IIRC the next smartphones they released ran Windows Mobile. That's how much faith they had still in Symbian.

Yet in Nokia S60 seemed to be some kind of cult that had to be fed by sacrificing all common sense on it.
well, they didn't have much choice. Symbian supported a lot of things but not exactly recent (at that time HW) since it was very light and NOKIA didn't need better HW for their crappy S60. NOKIA forced SE to drop UIQ since S60 became default UI within symbian foundation. Then they pushed those S60 phones (Satio and one more I think) and turned to win mobile.
And I agree that UIQ2 was better, more "smart". With UIQ3 they tried to reach less geeky people. But even that was miles ahead of S60. The biggest issue of P990 was lack of RAM just like on N900. P1 with double the RAM was performing much better. Unfortunately, all of UIQ3 phones other than P990 had slightly different (dumber) navigation. My P990 is still alive and kickin'.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: