@vitaminj: dude, that would be really cool. Please do that, I'll wait for your PM. Thanks in advance!

@MINKIN2: The option isn't so bad either, but then again, I'd really say that owning a commercial device is different from owning a device that is so rare, and makes it a collector's item. I would rather stick to my broken N950, rather than go for a new N9; leave alone the "NOT FOR SALE. DEVELOPER DEVICE" branding on its back, the physical keyboard is a must have for me as I do most of the work on my phone itself, right from mailing to developing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pranjal For This Useful Post:
@vitaminj : I am still waiting for that PM

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Pranjal View Post
the physical keyboard is a must have for me as I do most of the work on my phone itself, right from mailing to developing.
I don't know if this is a common problem, but when you type on the N950, it will make a lot of double capital letters on the begin of the sentence, also it will make double signs when you try to add a smile, like "" (without the quote of course) the outcome will be ")".

It's very annoying....

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I don't know if this is a common problem, but when you type on the N950, it will make a lot of double capital letters on the begin of the sentence, also it will make double signs when you try to add a smile, like "" (without the quote of course) the outcome will be ")".

It's very annoying....
What's more annoying is the N950 losing gsm/3g service for 14 hours straight even though you are outside and in a high signal area.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Karhula, Finland
NOOOOO!!!! Why u do that?! I could sell me left leg for that phone. AND YOU DESTROYED IT?!

For serious, try to see if there's any spare parts.. Same sized panel... Isn't it quite close to the E7?

UK-repair also claims to be able to fix that!

http://uk-repair.com/repair-mobile/n...pair/3196.html

The Following User Says Thank You to weedm8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by weedm8 View Post
NOOOOO!!!! Why u do that?! I could sell me left leg for that phone. AND YOU DESTROYED IT?!

For serious, try to see if there's any spare parts.. Same sized panel... Isn't it quite close to the E7?

it is (keyboard and look) but board and hardware is actually very different and not to mention display...
so, n950 have slightli bigger "screen cover" than e7, but, i think it can be replaced with one from e7 and that speaker hole will be at same place (i didn't measured accurately)

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by weedm8 View Post

Lol, nobody knows when their phone might slip and fall, however careful you are! This was the first (maybe second?) time in almost a year that it fell, but this time, it just cracked.
I did check for spare parts, and after a long search, this turned up ( http://www.mobilephone-spares.com/No...D-Display.html ).
Since the supplier is a Chinese Exporter, I really doubt it would fit my N950, and also the seller asks to order a minimum of 5 pieces, which I've got no idea I going to do with, even if the screen fits. As far as UK repair is concerned, I live in India, and have no plans to visit UK anytime soon, and i will not be shipping a Developer Device to their repair center, lol.

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
it is (keyboard and look) but board and hardware is actually very different and not to mention display...
so, n950 have slightli bigger "screen cover" than e7, but, i think it can be replaced with one from e7 and that speaker hole will be at same place (i didn't measured accurately)

I doubt there are any "screen covers" available out there as the glass is fused to display. I'll need to get the whole display (or perhaps the phone itself, as vitaminj suggested) changed.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Karhula, Finland
Lol, nobody knows whe...

...whole display changed.
I ain't blaming you for breaking that awesome piece of hardware!

I would still contact the uk-repair and ask where they get their spares or do they sell one spare to you? I'm sure if you can get a spare-part, you can fix it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weedm8 For This Useful Post:
I got a Nokia N950 as a gift from a relative (who works in India as the head of R&D Nokia MeeGo development) on my last birthday, as he knew I was into Qt Development and after having used the N900, wanted a MeeGo device badly. Had lots of fun using it, until today, when it slipped from my hand and fell.
Hi Pranjal, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck and I hope you can get your N950 fixed. However, if not, I wanted you (and everyone else) to know that you still have a second chance to get your hands on a new one! How? The Maemo.org Coding Competition ofcourse! We have 14 N950s and 11 N9s to be won! Who knows, one of them could be yours

You have some Qt Development experience, that's great cos then you already have the skills to take part But we accept entries from all experience, right through to beginners with their very first applications. In fact, we welcome beginners so much they even get their own extra category with 2 N950s especially assigned only to them

If you're interested to know more check out the wiki via the Coding Competition banner on the top right hand side of the page, or by clicking here -> http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012 We're still fleshing out the details, but we expect the competition to get started very soon.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
My n950's screen developed a lcd screen leak. Still usable but very annoying. Would be interested to know if you manage to get a replacement

The Following User Says Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n950