Is there any way to disable data use unless using wifi?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Remove the GPRS gw, maybe?

For each internet connection, you have an 'use automatically' setting. Turning it off for your data connection might help?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiappa For This Useful Post:
I don't think any of these will work. On my Alcatel android there is a setting for disabling data over 3G, which is handy because I only have 200 mb of data a month.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
You can use iptables to block data usage by blocking gprs interface and only allowing wlan0.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

But if I do that, it will only disable data over the mobile network, nothing else? And I need a tutorial. I have the terminal, just not very good with it.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Did you follow what chiappa said? I don't think you would even need to block gprs if you either don't have your 3g apn saved or set to use automatically...

I was overseas recently and when i didn't have a 3g data plan i just didn't set the apn to be used automatically and never had it being used without me selecting it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Did you tried "FlightMode"? If you start this tool it stops any 2G or 3G data connection and you will be asked if you want to use wlan.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kermit View Post
Did you tried "FlightMode"? If you start this tool it stops any 2G or 3G data connection and you will be asked if you want to use wlan.
why are people giving bad advices, in flight mode you will not receive phone calls with your _PHONE_.

Juiceme's advice to remove 2g/3g from automated connection list is enough.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Juiceme's advice to remove 2g/3g from automated connection list is enough.
chiappa's advice

It only helps for automatic connection though. You still need to be careful what you select manually.

FWIW, I have removed all GPRS packages from my phone so I won't be able to select anything other than WiFi even by mistake. apt-get remove --purge gprs*.