Originally Posted by lexik View Post
You are the proudest coolest geekist N900ist... or is there somebody with 5 N900?
Eight ones. Yea, i know, I know...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Eight ones. Yea, i know, I know...
You should vote here then.
By current poll results, you would be the undisputed winner

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
My N900 is still my daily phone.

And with the recent gmail modest bug, I discovered CSSU and my phone has come alive again!

I even bought a new battery for it, and finding all the tweaks I should have done when I worries about bricking my phone! Down to 0% CPU at idle, got the fast application manager finally.

And now I've canned any thoughts of the HTC One

Where do I send money to keep the board and repository up?

The Following User Says Thank You to fraz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
In 2011 I knew 4 other people with an N900 (here in London, UK). You might expect something like it, but they are all software developer Linux geeks (as I am).

Since then, they've all except for me (tho' unsure on one) moved on to other phones as their main device - eg. Galaxy Note/S3's, random other Android. Two of them had hardware problems with it, and mine has some also; no usb port (though will try to resolder the new one I ordered on when I got time..) and the clock-backup battery is dead. CSSU got me fixed on a few things that really bugged me (common 40sec-1min email delays to update the list were just painful with the gmail bug in PR1.3 and below).

Q: Is CSSU/Thumb really stable enough now? - bearing in mind I can't reflash it at present if anything goes wrong... Does it reduce lag lots from memory switching?

So to workalong with my issues, I use a couple of ebay small chargers (one work one home) and a spare battery - been through a few, cheaper ones tend to stop working after a while kept in my pocket/in-out of the charger, with the black strip on top that is the connector becoming loose, but these are still so much cheaper than official Nokia-sourced ones; go for better end of the cheap ones (~£5 on Amazon/ebay) with good reviews for the best results, and one company even did well and sent me a free replacement for one that clearly was causing my phone to reset randomly. Remember Nokia 5800 ones are compatible (aids searches).

I learnt a smooth and fast technique with switching batteries so mostly I dont need to re-enter the time after a main battery switch every couple of days. Not found anywhere that can replace this battery cheaply enough..

Despite all this I've still not found a phone I want to replace it with that strongly; though am kinda planning it (Samsung) but something keeps me holding off for want of a nice physical keyboard or lots of spare screenspace when its on screen! Tizen/Sailfish/FirefoxOS/Ubuntu Touch are all sounding potentials to play with a while, but am guessing I'll want to run them on pre-purchased 3rd-party hardware instead of whatever mass-market oriented device they may be lucky enough to get attached to. Shame about the Edge...

Upgrades and fresh software (hi newly-discovered Tweetian-for-Maemo-backport!) are definitely softening the waiting period pain though - and Neo900 sounds interesting, faster cpu and more RAM sound like a great late-term upgrade to keep it running longer (oh and fixing my usb!)

Last edited by jgbreezer; 2013-09-12 at 12:41. Reason: for more easily understandable text

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Where do I send money to keep the board and repository up?
There is a big "Donate" button in the top right corner of the screen, right under the "Search" button. Follow it and pay a close attention to the "broken PayPal" bit and the temporary workaround.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Near Paris, in the frog-eaters country
N900 : GTK+FM TX/RX,Hardware keyboard

1st Jolla have to include all of that, or I'll give up with smartfun world

The Following User Says Thank You to doctor madness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by jgbreezer View Post
Q: Is CSSU/Thumb really stable enough now? - bearing in mind I can't reflash it at present if anything goes wrong... Does it reduce lag lots from memory switching?
Hmm, with a broken usb you are better off not doing thumb or anything too invasive IMO. As for memory switching, swap on SD and ereswap or flopswap are the way to go. Huge difference.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Hmm, with a broken usb you are better off not doing thumb or anything too invasive IMO. As for memory switching, swap on SD and ereswap or flopswap are the way to go. Huge difference.
If he setup u-boot properly, and do some "just in case" preparations (like script to easily boot selected kernel from microSD, if anything goes wrong - not necessary, but easier than typing in u-boot console), he can do whatever he want with it, without much possibility to really need reflash. As long, as he won't flash something bad in plece of u-boot

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You should vote here then.
By current poll results, you would be the undisputed winner
Thanks. I voted there some time ago, sadly, when I had less than eight

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
8 n900s !!! All working?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
8 n900s !!! All working?
One n900 for every room in the house. That make sense.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
andrew w.k, nokia n900, party hard