I'm not sure which card you want to use. Internal is mmc2, external is mmc1. So you could change the library path to /media/mmc1/ebooks:/media/mmc2/ebooks.

But, you don't need to put book in a specific directory. On the 'add book to library' dialog box you can navigate to any directory you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to refortin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
Id is what
Sorry I meant 'It'. I can vagually remember that you can let fbreader scan some folder for books automatically. But I always add them one by one. It's not that I read and store massive amounts of books.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
I, on the other hand, do carry massive amounts of books, and would love it if fbreader would actually read the folders it looks into. Having to add each book individually is a pita.
Great software anyway MishaS, just finished my 10,000th page since i started using it. (still wish it had autoscroll.....) 8-)

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Putting the books in a particular location and having FBReader scan that location is only useful if you are using books in the FictionBook2 format (.fb2) or OpenReader format (not sure the extension).

Both these formats are open, and they both contain metadata about the book (author, title, category, etc) that allow FBReader to automatically build a library using that data.

I am not positive, but it seems to me FBReader was named because it is a Fiction Book Reader (the FictionBook2 format mentioned above). It does a great job reading lots of other formats too, but I have converted my library into fb2 files specifically for this application.

There are some great tools at http://www.fictionbook.org/index.php/Eng:FictionBook that allow you to convert virtually any book format into fb2 (or other) format. Using Book Designer I converted 122 books, added their metadata, and had FBReader build a library based on Author Name and Category. You can even specify a series for books, and FBReader will put them (ordered) in a sub-category headed with the series name.

It is not a trivial task to convert these books (but at the same time it is by no means challenging, just time consuming) but it saves effort at the other end by just dropping a new book in a folder and having FBReader detect and add it.

And no, I am no way affiliated with the FBReader team (although I filed a few bugs back in my Zaurus days). It is just a great piece of software, and I though I would share my "expertise" in using it. Now, if only ManyBook.net or gutenberg.org would provide downloads in fb2 format I would be a very happy camper.

EDIT: OpenReader format extension is .ePub and manybooks.net does indeed support this format (albeit with a caveat of test, as in "ePub_TEST"). I just tried a download, plunked it in my FBReader directory and, lo and behold, it appears in my FBReader library with the correct author. I don't know if series are incorporated in the manybooks.net metadata, but it is very nice to see an open format download option for these public domain books!

Last edited by fiferboy; 2008-09-19 at 14:09. Reason: OpenReader information added

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Oberon85 View Post
I, on the other hand, do carry massive amounts of books, and would love it if fbreader would actually read the folders it looks into. Having to add each book individually is a pita.
It's not that bad, you only have to do it once. Besides, I've found that FBReader, left on its own, isn't very smart in importing the book metadata anyway, editing is almost always necessary.

The weirdest thing IMO is that FBReader does less well in displaying FB2 files than it does PDBs: The formar almost invariably will have "box" characters for some or other quotation or accent, while PDBs display flawlessly (granted, a lot of my ebooks are un-DRMed and converted LITs, but still...). It's not a problem, I've learned to always convert to PDB, but it's rather funny, as FB2 is supposed to be more "native" to FBReader than Palm/Aportis.

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hmm, I've never had a problem with fb2 books displaying funny characters. You are reading English books in English?

Perhaps it is where your books come from, or how you are converting them. I use Book Designer to convert and edit books, and have never had a display issue. Maybe ePub would be a good alternative, as it is open and contains (more or less) the same metadata as fb2.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Hmm, I've never had a problem with fb2 books displaying funny characters. You are reading English books in English?

Perhaps it is where your books come from, or how you are converting them. I use Book Designer to convert and edit books, and have never had a display issue. Maybe ePub would be a good alternative, as it is open and contains (more or less) the same metadata as fb2.
Like I said, it's not really a problem, once I found out that PDBs work. FYI, I use ConvertLIT to convert "acquired" books (I have an extensive paper library, but not the equipment -- or patience for that matter -- to scan and OCR it all; I'm rather careful only to "acquire" books I already own in paper form).

Funny thing is, with PDB files I can select what character encoding set to use, but with FB2 books that option is greyed out.

Tags
extras, fbreader